Pokemon Sun & Moon Hype Check

• Gamefreak just released a new trailer that revealed a bunch of new Pokemon! Do you like the new designs? How hyped are you for the new games.

Personally I couldn't be more excited. All of the mechanics they introduced in the E3 demo are things fans have been suggesting forever, and I am incredibly pleased. The new pokemon all look incredible. My personal faves were the dragon and box bug.

E3 Demo
    New Pokemon Reveal Trailer

• I'm super lazy and don't wanna sit through 45 minutes of Reggie. What new features are coming? Also, Rowlet is my spirit animal. Not enough Pokemon with bow ties.

• Cutiefly spiked my excitement to a 10. I mean, how can you not love something that has the extremely cute bee fly as inspiration for its design?

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth Things that make it a little more easy to control your experience. Warning you when you're about to enter a trainer battle so that you can avoid it, showing you which stats are increased upon leveling up, keeping track of which stats are buffed or increased during battles, showing which moves are effective, showing the trainer in the ring behind their pokemon (to scale) during battles, and the addition of 4 player battle royale.

• @michemagius I'm really hoping we see trainers with whips, "encouraging" their Pokemon if they do badly. Bring back the cueballs Nintendo!

• I'm pretty hyped! Most of the new Pokemon look good so far.

Tappu Koko will probably have some interesting relationship with other island guardians.

The new electric bug's evolution looks great. I could see myself using it.

Not sure if it will top Joltik and Galvantula for me, but I love it. Cutiefly is as the name suggests, a cutie.

The new Pikachu clone doesn't really interest me. Aside from Emolga, I don't care for Pikachu clones.

Drampa, the normal/dragon is pretty funny. Not sure if I would use it.

• Oh my god I am still giggling about Drampa. I am using that pokemon for the pure dopiness of it. The psychic/water type really grosses me out. Every other pokemon is at least decent, with Tappu Koko being really cool looking and the battery/plug bugs are interesting too.

• I really wish they started adding a Hard mode where the Gym leaders had more than 3 underleveled pokemon to battle against :(

• @wenchwogg Nuzlocke challenge! I wish that was just an option that could be turned on.

• My hype is so hype it even has its own hype!

HYPE!
    HYPE!!
    HYPE!!!

alt text

• I am a sucker and will probably buy them, but man I am antihyped for Sun and Moon after playing X and Y. I don't care about the quality of life upgrades they make if they continue to remove the things that made me love Pokemon in the first place. The story of X and Y sucked, the placement of Pokemon was thoughtless, the characters were obnoxious, and the hand holding was out of control. I don't have any confidence that Sun and Moon will be good.

Rowlet is very cute and makes me feel happy.

• That dragon has got terrible typing, but damn if it doesn't look awesome!

• The new bug/electric Vikvolt is going to be a great counter-balance to my Litten. That is of course until Tapu Koko wants to join my team.

Also, can I just say that Gen VII is being the best so far. To me the Pokemon actually look like Pokemon, rather than something too anthropomorphic or too realistic. Not that previous titles had bad Pokemon, but these are especially satisfying.

• @RyanBates said in Pokemon Sun & Moon Hype Check:

I am a sucker and will probably buy them, but man I am antihyped for Sun and Moon after playing X and Y. I don't care about the quality of life upgrades they make if they continue to remove the things that made me love Pokemon in the first place. The story of X and Y sucked, the placement of Pokemon was thoughtless, the characters were obnoxious, and the hand holding was out of control. I don't have any confidence that Sun and Moon will be good.

Rowlet is very cute and makes me feel happy.

Your concern is very understandable. I have high hopes for Sun and Moon because it's been developed after two sets of games on the 3DS. I think it's safe to say the dev time of all the 3D models, and working on a new system really took up more time than they wanted. I don't dislike X and Y, but outside of the 3D models, everything else fell flat compared to previous games. Comparing the good characters and story of gen 5 to gen 6, it's no contest, for example.

The extra year of time to make it will help as well. They took that extra year to make sure this will be the best game it can be. That is my hope.

• Electric Bug evolution looked badass

• I want to be hyped, because I kind of feel like it's time for me to really get into another Pokemon after only playing through the main story of Black/White and not even finishing X/Y. But I kind of don't like the creature design too much. They all look too cutesy in a messy, over-drawn way. I liked the more simple early designs from the first couple of gens.

• What's with all the X/Y hate? I loooove X/Y they're the games that got me back into Pokemon!

Sun and Moon looks like it is building on the foundations laid out in X/Y and ORAS similar to how Gold and Silver built upon the foundations laid in Red, Blue and Yellow.

• I was very excited for Gen 6, (X and Y) but Gen 7 hasn't impressed me yet. Lots of the changes seem bad to me. Pokemon is losing it's style and starting to look like a late PS2/early PS3 era generic RPG on the overworld with the more realistic scale changes. The Rotom dex is a weird gimmick, and I'm not sure how that's going to play out. When you catch a Pokemon now, the game spoils how many evolutions it has by showing you a symbol for each one. In battle, they've made it so can see if a move will be super effective against what you're fighting, so you never longer have to memorize the type chart. Fairy Type also seems like it might be getting overused, and since Gen 6 the very existence of Fairy Type has been the final nail in the Ice Type coffin. Ice Types are completely worthless now, and it's going to be hard for GameFreak to fix that.

That said, there's a rumor about "communicating with Pokemon" in Sun/Moon, possibly through the Rotom Dex, so that could really expand the way we see Pokemon and add to the franchise in the way Pokemon Amie did in Gen 6. I get excited for every new Pokemon game regardless, and I'll pick a version up inevitably no matter how it turns out, but right now I'm just a bit nervous but also looking forward to the release date.

• Global Moderator

Since I bought the N3DS recently this'll probably be the first pokemon game I play since Silver.

Kind of intrigued by all the changes since then bar the absurd number of pokemon.

• Bruxish is a monster and I love it.