"Why is This so Good?"

• Have you ever had an impulse to buy a game for no real reason other than to just buy it? Where you think to yourself, "this is probably not going to be great but sure, I'll try it," and several hours later you're amazed by just how much you're enjoying it? It's the same joy when you find a spare $20 in a pair of unused pants - except you're usually $20 poorer in the game example. So what games have pleasantly surprised you?

For me, it's quite recently Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Now I like rhythm games and I love Persona so I shouldn't have been expecting mediocrity but I assumed Atlus had really started running out of ideas for expanding the universe of Persona 4, much like Square did with FFVII. I boot that bad boy up and I'm greeted with the menu and... wait... story mode? In a rhythm game? Sure, I'll try it... Oh. You put in all the characters from Persona 4 that I love? Oh. You gave context to why everyone is dancing? Oh. You made the rhythm sections unique and filled it with your excellent music? I wasn't expecting this game to be one that kept me up late at night (dancing) but it certainly did. I guess I figured they would go the Final Fantasy Theaterhythm route; have a superb music selection but no real reason to play other than that.

• I have not tried persona 4 rhythm game but it sounds cool. I probably got that feeling with persona 4 itself. I had no idea what to expect. Was just looking for a game, kept seeing it pop on recommendations and Dived in. Thought it was great.

But as for wondering why a game is so good. Has to be batman Arkham asylum. All the way through the game I kept thinking am I actually play a good super hero game here? Is that's whats happening? Surely not.
    But my God it was.

• @Ellis That's a great example, Asylum really nailed Batman in a way it had never been done before. That Scarecrow sequence is still something I talk about to this day.

• I really wasn't expecting much, but I couldn't not buy the game. I mean, come on. The music is so incredible (as it should be). The Norhiko Hibino Remix of Heaven took me on a spiritual journey. And I was really pleased with the story mode.

• Undertale. People raved about it and a lot of my close friends were like nagging me to play it.

I was skeptical, I am a huge Earthbound fanboy and it seemed like it was just milking what that game did, and the screenshots didn't sell me. I bought it because I wanted to know about the hype and get my friends to shut up. I was expecting something meh, but it was hands down my favorite game of 2015 and one of my most favorite games of all time. Sometimes the hype is real. Also the fanbase turned me off a bit, but that has died down significantly. Don't let the ravenous fans turn you away from Undertale, it is a very very good game.

• @Tristan Amen, preach! Undertale is also one of my favorite games of all time as well, it really won my heart over. Any game that can effectively touch my emotions AND make me see games in another light is doing something really, really right.

• VA-11 HALL-A. It's cyberpunk bartending! Looked interesting and the reviews were pretty glowing. Figured why not and it's been amazing. Not really big on VN-style games, but all I want to do is skip work and keep mixing drinks for my customers.

Also Elite Beat Agents.

• I do it all the time. If it looks interesting, I snag it, i'm rarely ever disappointed. I guess my most recent would be Anima: Gate of Memories. I knew next to nothing about it, but It popped up on PSN with little to no warning, and a quick browse of Amazon showed it had a physical release, so I grabbed it. I've really fallen for it, I just need to get back to it that is all.

• Far Cry Primal. I was just looking for something new to play when it came out, and figured "Well, I've always kinda wanted to be a caveman..." I expected so little from it, and it completely sucked me in from the first missions up until the platinum trophy popped. I recommended it to a friend, and 3 days later his wife is yelling at me because he stopped helping her do anything around the house. Like it's my fault Tensay needs a nicer hut or something.

• @Mortambulist Between you and a good friend saying how great this game is, I really gotta give it a shot. The trailer didn't excite me at all but I do like the Far Cry series so there's obviously something good there.

• @SabotageTheTruth I think it was mostly the progression that grabbed me. Seemed like after just about every quest or just a little bit of scrounging, there was something I could upgrade to be just a bit stronger. That and they made a pretty convincing prehistoric world. I heard somebody say once if Primal is your first Far Cry game, you'll love it, and I don't know how true that is but it was the case for me. Thinking maybe I should check out some of the others in the series now.

• Verdun.

Guns are inaccurate, gameplay is limited, community is kind of garbage, visuals are terrible, but for some reason I can't help but love that game. I would suppose it's due to the fact that so few games try to cover WW1, and those who do aren't very successful, but the uncertainty of your equipment, the slow pace of the game which forces you to hide in the trenches, and your overall reliance on your squadmates made it a very enjoyable experience for me.

• Not a game, but I am having a similar reaction to My Hero Academia, an anime about a world full of superheroes, and the main character doesn't have powers of his own. They were gifted to him

• I don't know if it was the music, the universe, or just the film, but I really enjoyed the game Tron: Evolution. I know it's not a great game, but I love it.