How has the Switch influenced the current console generation? *Allies Assemble*

• I have asked the Allies the following question numerous times and it sounds as if they would like the community to support the question before they answer it. Also, I feel that it would be a great story to dig into by any sleuths out there.

Allies, do you think the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio were reactionary measures carried out in response to the development of the Nintendo Switch? I feel that Nintendo did the right thing by developing a console mid gen cycle, especially if it was previously in development to solely be their next handheld. Nintendo now has a chance to make an informed decision on whether or not to release a traditional console (non-portable) during the next generation (PS5/The next Xbox) that will be on par with competition in terms of hardware. The mid gen consoles give the industry a chance to see how well superior performing hardware will sell. This evolution of consoles is extremely exciting to see and though Sony and Microsoft’s console are more similar they all provide a unique and very informative look into what may come next. I’m curious to hear all of your thoughts on this.

Love and Respect,

Ross

• We might be seeing THIS come true very soon.

Let me dream.

OT: I think Nintendo is not competing with Sony or Microsoft. I think we will definitely see mid console upgrade next gen as well as its good for business and we'll have something to talk about at E3 every year

Nintendo - Doesn't care about competition or hardware power
    Sony - Balance between games and hardware power
    Microsoft - All power & no games

I use to think consoles have to catch up to and surpass PC but I don't care anymore for power. As long as the device does what I like for it to do then I'm fine but we will see next gen console reaching over 10 teraflops and nintendo kicking back on 5 teraflops.

Post Incomplete ---------------------------------------

• We have to wait and see if the Switch is successful or not. It's still to early to tell if they made the right decision. The underpowered hardware AGAIN will most likely result in another Wii / Wii U.

• @Art

I know this is not sarcasm. You know you love the switch. I have only owned a super Nintendo in my entire life but switch is looking sweet. Switch is a better name than Wii/ Wii u. Nintendo is drawing lot of positive attention to itself so they are doing something right.

• I think the Switch is an incredibly interesting piece of hardware, and I'd love to see it succeed, but I can't shake off what I know deep down in the dark dingy depths of my blackened soul.

• Nah. Nintendo is basically living in an entire different space than Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has not been attempting to push gaming boundaries anymore, at least technology-wise. The three are obviously all focusing on completely different things, so it's less and less plausible to but them into the same basket. The result of this is that there will be less and less dilemma what platform you want to game on, with each starting to focus on separate things. And I doubt this will change with the next generation (If you will even be able to call them that still).

• @Art I'm fairly confident the Switch is going down the same path of the Wii U, with the only exception that Nintendo may put more effort into it.

I would like to think otherwise but right now it is hard to think of a bright future for the Switch.

• @Ross said in Something Damiani should get to the bottom of. ***All Allies Please Respond***:

Allies, do you think the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio were reactionary measures carried out in response to the development of the Nintendo Switch?

Personally no, I do not think this is the case. It seems Nintendo aims to scratch different itches than Sony/Microsoft, powerful hardware not being one of them. I would assume Sony/Microsoft are aware of this and are more competing against each other than Nintendo in the hardware department. I doubt they were worried the NX would be more powerful than their consoles, so i think the Pro/Scorpio are unrelated since they don't provide anything new besides a slight/undetermined boost.

@Ross said in Something Damiani should get to the bottom of. ***All Allies Please Respond***:

Nintendo now has a chance to make an informed decision on whether or not to release a traditional console (non-portable) during the next generation (PS5/The next Xbox) that will be on par with competition in terms of hardware.

I also do not think this is very likely to happen. I get the vibe that the Switch is a home console that you can take with you, not the other way around. I know I personally would be upset to find out a traditional home console was coming out if I had just bought the Switch. I know many people wouldn't mind, just saying for myself handheld is of zero importance to me so I would be upset. That's not to say that a mid generation upgraded Switch might not be released, but I think it will still be a New Switch, not a new solely home console.

• These are all great responses so far Allies! Please keep them coming. From the sound of it there is a general consensus that Nintendo is not nor will they try to compete with Sony or Microsoft in terms of hardware. This now makes me question whether or not third party AAA titles such as Red Dead Redemption 2 will make an appearance on the Nintendo Switch and if so will they be "lesser than" versions. Also, the responses make me feel as though I should clarify my initial question. I was more curious as to whether Sony and Microsoft decided to make mid gen consoles simply because Nintendo did (who struck first?) . To further the discussion -- Will the PS5/NeXtbox be portable "consoles?" Again, Please keep the responses coming.

Love and Respect,

Ross

• @Ross Not at all, I don't think Microsoft or Sony personally care much about what Nintendo do.

Sony and Microsoft know that Nintendo's new system will sell reasonably well, but predominantly to Nintendo fans due to the historic lack of third party games on the system and the lack of support for all the mammoth yearly franchises which demand the cutting edge in graphics.

I think the Pro and Scorpio were direct riposte's to the fans and Dev's who were nagging both manufacturers for even more powerful consoles, or a PC-like evolutionary approach to them, so Dev's didn't have to cut down on their visions of the worlds they can create.

• No, because as always Nintendo is a gen behind. Why do people ever think different?

Vita was definitely a reaction, but that was more the japanese market than anything when it comes to nintendo since handheld gaming is always bigger there than anywhere else.

But on any other platform over the last 30+ years? No, nintendo has never been in direct competition with anyone else or they would've spent more time developing the Wii-U and came out with the switch in the first place.

Sony and Microsoft are the ones driving their own evolutions forward competing against each other, we'll probably see an announcement next year from sony about a new system once we've all gotten used to the scorpio being a thing, meanwhile nintendo will still be struggling to build a library and probably still not have a virtual console set up.

• @DisturbedSwan said in Something Damiani should get to the bottom of. ***All Allies Please Respond***:

@Ross Not at all, I don't think Microsoft or Sony personally care much about what Nintendo do.

After Nintendo revealed the Switch a patent for a Sony portable console was revealed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/sony-files-patent-for-what-looks-like-a-switch-esque-handheld

I'd say they care a little bit.

• Doesn't really mean a lot @Art huge tech companies make thousands of patent applications every year and almost all of them are just to cover their arses just in case they decide to green light one of them.

• I think there will be numerous third party AAA titles that will never make the Switch. I think a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 would suffer immensely from being on the Switch. Whether the developer thinks its worth the time to make and optimize it for the Switch is up to them. Sure it'll potentially be able to reach a wider audience but is it worth putting out that inferior version? We'll see.

I also do not think the next Sony/Microsoft consoles will be portable. If there is a portable console from them it'll be a Vita 2 deal not a PS5. My rational just goes back to me not thinking they are competing with Nintendo on that front. I think they will continue to focus on making the most powerful console. If they did sacrifice power for portability and release something similar to the Switch I think they are losing much of their appeal. I'm also no the best judge of this because to me portability is of the littlest importance to me.

• @DisturbedSwan
    @Art

I'd say Sony cares about what Nintendo does alot. :3

alt text

and that meme doesn't even mention anything about Sony entering the handheld market with a machine that looks very similar to a GBA either. lol

• @Yoshi said in Something Damiani should get to the bottom of. ***All Allies Please Respond***:

@DisturbedSwan
    @Art

I'd say Sony cares about what Nintendo does alot. :3

alt text

and that meme doesn't even mention anything about Sony entering the handheld market with a machine that looks very similar to a GBA either. lol

Though Sony had Eyetoy before Nintendo and Microsoft tried to do their motion controlled gimmicks.

• Has Damiani actually expressed interest in this topic? Sounds like hell to research and a bit of a reach too. Idk how long consoles take to develop, but if Sony made the Pro as a reaction to Switch, wouldn't they mean they had insiders at Nintendo? Like they aren't gonna make a console based on rumours.

• @Yoshi Sony and Microsoft both jumped on the Motion controlled bandwagon after seeing how successful the Wii had been for Nintendo, not exactly a surprise.

Didn't see Sony or Microsoft copying the Wii U either, as it was an unmitigated failure.

Why would Sony care what Nintendo do when they've sold 60 million PS4's? They're suddenly going to scrap the PS4 and make a Switch competitor? Not gonna happen.

• @ZyloWolfBane a camera filming the player is completely different to an actual controller recognise's your movement just from moving the controller around because of the motion sensor being inside the thing.

if eyetoy was the same type of thing they never would have needed to put out the PS Move.

• @Yoshi said in Something Damiani should get to the bottom of. ***All Allies Please Respond***:

@ZyloWolfBane a camera filming the player is completely different to an actual controller recognise's your movement just from moving the controller around because of the motion sensor being inside the thing.

if eyetoy was the same type of thing they never would have needed to put out the PS Move.

Because controllers to track your movement is the next step up from the groundwork Eyetoy started, I don't see how you couldn't make that connection.

The fact nintendo made that connection first doesn't mean they invented the core concept. Sony also had a "Toys to life" game with eye of judgement long before Skylanders and Amiibo were a thing.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.