How has the Switch influenced the current console generation? *Allies Assemble*

• Welp :/ Yoshi is back...

Can we NOT? This whole forum is (oddly) positive all of the time.

Also I'm just gonna throw my two-cents in and say that neither Sony nor MS were particularly innovative with their foray into "Motion Gaming". I just think it was a decision made by suits. Whether we accept it or not, the Wii sold like crazy and had non-gamers playing video games. I get the feeling Sony wasn't trying to copy Nintendo in the traditional sense, but they just wanted to cash in on that market. Get a few new demographics to buy a PS3/X360 that normally wouldn't buy games. Mom and Dad already have one, here are a few games for the kids. That kind of thing.

As per the Switch, I doubt Sony made the Pro to compete. Again, did EZA ever actually suggest they were interested in doing this? Is there even proof?

• @GoTaco

Hey GoTaco. No, EZA never said they were interested in doing this nor did I say they were. I simply stated that after asking similar questions numerous times and following their suggestions they would want the community to get behind it first instead of just a single person as stated on the EZA podcast a few weeks back. As for your comment on the difficulty of researching this I can't imagine it would be too difficult to simply ask Nintendo and Sony when their respective console's development cycles started. The Pro is not an entirely new console and as such would not take as long to develop. The Switch on the other hand I feel was in development since before the Wii U's development was complete. Thank you so much for your interest in this topic and I hope we can continue to further its discussion with all allies.

Love and Respect,

Ross

• Unfortunately battery tech is still not keeping up with hardware advancements. At 2 hours and 30 minutes of Zelda in tablet mode. Battery tech has much more successful advancements to make before this tech can really be feastable for portable non-mobile gaming.

There is a ton of money and resources going into battery R&D. But were years away before we can start moving away from the current limitations of lithium-ion batteries. And even when vastly improved battery tech is readily available. Its going to be a huge logistics change to renegotiate and break current deals relating to the production of today's batteries. So the we may not have that quantum leap of battery life in time for the next generation.

• Can someone explain the battery life problem to me i dont get it? i take my switch to town with me and play here and there in my car maybe for a hour to 90 minutes at a time and when i go to go some where i plug it into my phone charger and its ready to go again.

• @FF7Cloud I think he just meant that we are at a bottleneck/standstill with battery technology.

We've pushed our current tech to the limit, and we won't see it change until something revolutionary comes along.

Battery tech is what's holding back things like Wind/Solar energy as well.

• I don't think the Switch is a mainline console in any way. It's a peripheral console for those who can afford it. Like a 3DS, or a Vita. I don't think it has or will influence the current console generation at all. It should be kept as an interesting curiosity, Nintendo's handheld that you can play on your TV as well. That is not something I want for the PS4 and Xbone. They should keep making consoles that are as powerful as possible.

@Stormcrownn The guy who invented the lithium-ion battery recently invented a new type of even better more effecient battery though.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a25536/inventor-lithium-ion-battery-invented-another-battery/

• Scorpio was in any way a response to switch. MS' plans for the Xbox One were clear since they announced that the console would run on Windows 10. That means that from that moment, the OS of the platform would be the same for the years to come, resting only console redesigns and hardware upgrades. With Scorpio MS is killing generations, as we are used to, and is making xbox a hardware agnostic platform, eventualy it will be a distribution platform avaliable on xbox consoles and PC, that is why they are pushing their Play Anywhere Program, Game Pass and Windows Store.

In any case, I think PS4 pro is a response to Windows 10 and that Switch will have hardware upgrades.

• I don't think Sony or Microsoft reacted at all to Nintendo. There was literally nothing for them to worry about. They should be more worried wether or not people run off to PC which was actually one of many reasons PS4pro was made as stated by Sony. PC is only going to grow. Not that I think consoles are going anywhere.

Today's market allows Nintendo to offer a unique platform that coexists along side other consoles and PC. It's the best thing they could have done. I also think Both companies should always have two skus moving forward. Standard and a Pro which is superpowered. It allows for more options for ppl who don't necessarily want a PC.

@Ross I'm confused what you mean that you asked EZA several time but it sounds like they want the community to back it before they answer?

I think they've discussed this sort of things on their podcasts quite a bit.

• I'd say Sony are very interested in the Switch

alt text

• Global Moderator

It feels like it still is too early to say how they have influenced the console generation. If anything though they have shown that a handheld-hybrid can work and we have a bigger interest in it than I believe we first thought. (at least I was shrugging at the idea when I first heard it rumoured).

However, perhaps next gen we will see the others using similar ideas to some of their consoles. I have a hard time to believe that PS4PRO and Scorpio are a "response" to the Switch though.

• I'm loving the discussions you all are bringing to the table so let me respond and add a bit more. First I think it's worth taking a look at the release history of consoles to have some reference as to what I'm more interested in. A quick google search pulled up this from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_video_game_console_releases . We could compare this "mid-gen" console release(Switch/PRO/Scorpio) to the more aggressive era of SEGA. However, I feel that it is really quite unique what's happening. For all three (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) to be releasing consoles at this time is not a coincidence. From what I can see Sony would have been fine without releasing the PRO and so would the gaming industry. I'm extremely excited to see what Scorpio has to offer but again Microsoft would be fine without it (even being behind Sony) and will probably take a huge loss on it. Nintendo though, they really needed something. I believe the Switch was already in development as a handheld and became their solution to that something. EZA has indeed spoken in great length about all three of these consoles but they have yet to touch on the question I presented which is why I have reached out to the community as suggested by EZA. Also, in response to the idea that PC's are a concern for consoles I will simply state that PC's are doing worse and worse each year and have been for some time. Video gaming is the one industry that is keeping custom PC's alive. Proprietary instead of standardized hardware is what the majority of the tech industry would prefer. I've worked in various areas of this industry for many years and owned/operated a startup focused on custom computing so please have some consideration for my words surrounding this topic. I have an enormous amount of respect for EZA and this community which is why I would sincerely love to hear EZA's and the community's response to what I question. Again I'd like to thank all of you who have taken the time to read/respond to this post and as always Love and Respect.

-Ross