Best place to start with Fire Emblem?

• I love games like Fire Emblem, love tactics games, but havent played a FE game yet and would like to start.

I have access to pretty much any of them other than the DS and 3DS versions

I've read that the SNES ones are pretty hardcore and tough (don't read Japanese, but can get fan translations)

So where should I start? There are GBA: Fire Emblem (need fan translation), The Binding Blade (prequel to Fire Emblem on GBA), and Sacred Stones

Then of course the Game Cube and Wii games.

I am leaning towards the GBA ones as I can play those on the go as I'm deep into Yakuza 0 and soon Persona 5

So where to start? Are the SNES games worth it/not as hardcore as I've heard?

• Well, I haven't played Fire Emblem games besides Fire Emblem Heroes on my phone (it's quite fun, and I haven't paid a single cent), and I would also be interested to know where I could actually start to play the proper Fire Emblem games, as Fire Emblem Heroes is just a fun casual distraction compared to actual Fire Emblem games.

• I think the GBA one simply called "Fire Emblem" for more classic FE or Awakening for the newer style of FE.

The older ones (like the ones on SNES) are more for hardcore players.

I also suggest that you give the Advance Wars series (especially Days of Ruin) a go if you think FE seems interesting.

• I asked this some time ago, the general consensus seemed to be Awakening, but I don't have an interest in diving into the old ones, so if that's what you are looking for it may not be the best.

• My first one was shadow dragon on the ds and i enjoyed it. its fairly cheap and can be played on the go.

• @suplextrain

How are the stories in those games? Is there a big overarching plot with characters or more of a generic plot with missions to win?

• @ACardAttack said in Best place to start with Fire Emblem?:

How are the stories in those games? Is there a big overarching plot with characters or more of a generic plot with missions to win?

Well, I don't think any FE game has a good story or great characters, so take that as you will. IMO it's mostly servicable.

If you mean Advance Wars then apart from Days of Ruin (which is good in terms of story) I'd say that the story takes a real backseat. The characters in the games prior to Days of Ruin are pretty hit or miss as well (you'll either find them charming or dumb). The main draw with AW is the gameplay (which is superior to FE), but Days of Ruin is great.

• @suplextrain said in Best place to start with Fire Emblem?:

Well, I don't think any FE game has a good story or great characters, so take that as you will. IMO it's mostly servicable.

Yep. I've only played two Fire Emblem games myself, but I can certainly say it's not the story that makes them great. The characters I grow attachment to usually just perform well in battle or look cool, there's no characters with real personalities sadly.

• @SabotageTheTruth and @suplextrain

Really? It always appeared to me that they had some sort of decent plot and characters given the love Marth and Roy have gotten in the past.

Maybe I won't play the series. I really prefer a good story and/or characters, especially in an rpg. I was thinking it would be somewhere between Shining Force 2 and a Tactics Ogre, maybe not though

• @ACardAttack I haven't played the games with Roy and Marth in them, so maybe the story is deeper there. I've only played Awakening and Fates but nearly every single character has one personality trait; Vaike is forgetful, Effie really likes to eat, etc. Even though the characters are mostly one-note, there's some decent interactions between them if you use them together on the field and their bonds do grow... although at times, that entire story thread is about how much one character enjoys eating. Typical Fire Emblem story - bad guys are bad, you are not, kill bad guys. Maybe I'm making unfair comparisons to something like Final Fantasy Tactics, where there's plot twists and character progression beyond getting more points in defense.

Despite its story being weak, I'd still recommend the series because of just how great its systems are - and this is coming from someone that values story most in a game.

• @ACardAttack said in Best place to start with Fire Emblem?:

Really? It always appeared to me that they had some sort of decent plot and characters given the love Marth and Roy have gotten in the past.

Not really sure why those characters got so much love, but there's nothing special about them if you ask me. Characters like Marth has just been around a while and featured in many FE games.

@ACardAttack said in Best place to start with Fire Emblem?:

Maybe I won't play the series. I really prefer a good story and/or characters, especially in an rpg. I was thinking it would be somewhere between Shining Force 2 and a Tactics Ogre, maybe not though

Try Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis if you haven't already. Jeanne d'Arc, Front Mission 3, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Suikoden Tactics are also solid.

• @suplextrain said in Best place to start with Fire Emblem?:

While I'd generally agree with that for most FE games I think the GBA game is an exception, Hector and Lyndis are great characters with a really good story together. Eliwood sucks and is generic Fire Emblem though

• @suplextrain Knights of Lodis is on my list to play

• Although I enjoy other entries more, I do believe Awakening is definitely the best starting point for the series. Great introduction to the mechanics, a good storyline, casual difficulty options, and a good difficulty curve make it the perfect point to jump into this wonderful series.

Since you don't have access to a 3DS, though, I would start with Sacred Stones on GBA. It's a quality self-contained entry that allows you to conduct side battles for extra XP should you need it. It's easier overall than the previous entry, making it a good introduction and starting point. Although, Binding Blade (simply "Fire Emblem" in the U.S.) does have an excellent tutorial with Lyn's storyline. It just gets very difficult and has a forced march from battle to battle.

And as a side note, the GC/Wii entries are some of my favorite games ever, but maybe a little more difficult as a starting point. And yeah, you may want to avoid the SNES versions for now til you have more experience with the series.

• I might catch flak for this answer, especially since this isn't a series I'm super familiar with admittedly, but I honestly think Fire Emblem Heroes is a great place to start. It uses basics of the main games in a much more simplified and quicker form, and you'll be able to meet characters from other games and based off that look up which game a character you like is from and then play that game. Just don't get hooked to Heroes and keep playing instead of moving on to a real Fire Emblem game once you find characters you're interested in.

• Just for another perspective, I think the story and characters in several of the entries are phenomenal. I really enjoyed the 3DS entries, but they are my least favorite of the bunch. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn especially have extremely engrossing stories with great character arcs that push you from chapter to chapter just as effectively as the battle system does. There's a reason the series is so popular, so I think you'll definitely enjoy them.

• Having only just getting on the Fire Emblem Waifu Train with Fire Emblem Heroes and I can vouch for Awakenings being a great starting point. I'm slowly making my way through it and I'm loving it. It's fairly easy to get hold of for a good price these days too which is great!

• @Billy Path of Radiance was my first game in the series. I'm not great at video games, so I never beat it. I can't remember which chapter I got stuck on, but at some point it felt literally impossible to progress. I did really like what I played, though, so I kept paying attention to the series, and played emulated versions of the GBA games shortly thereafter. Never beat those either. I didn't finish a game in the series until Awakening, and even then I was playing on casual. I think that's why it's my favorite in the series, though, since it let me play how I wanted to play (i.e. not very well, and still letting me finish). So for what it's worth, I suggest Awakening as the best starting point for FE, and then if you like it, maybe check out the gamecube/wii titles.