What did you just Buy/Receive?

• More movies. Little Mermaid and E.T. were used. Perfect like new quality. I love how people just sell their movies after redeeming the codes.

alt text

Shoah is a foreign ten hour documentary about the holocaust. Haven't seen it.

• Trek Dual Sport 3

This is what you call a hybrid bicycle. This might be news to you because until recently, this was news to me. I grew up riding a Gary Fischer mountain bike in the woods all day every day as a kid. Since outgrowing that bike, I've been living in a major city for 5 going on 6 years and have never quite enjoyed road biking nor the shape and feel of a road bike.

This hybrid style bike is great because it has a flat handle bar, front suspension with a lockout for road riding, as well as a thicker tire and thicker frame for when I occasionally visit home and ride off road trails. It isn't as sturdy as a MTB but its pretty darn sturdy. First bike I've bought since maybe 2006.

0_1556397242340_Trek_DualSport3_.jpg

• I spent too much on Sat.

4 new tires for car/install
    Vizio P-Series Quantum 65" 4k HDR tv (at $600 off current MSRP + 4yr warranty)
    PS4 Pro
    Pioneer VSX-832 4k HDR ready receiver
    Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra BR player
    UHD Blu Rays of Mad Max Fury Road/Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse/The Fifth Element/Bladerunner 2049

• Finally succumbed and bought one of those expensive 4K HDR cables, after my UHD player's picture started cutting out in 4K, which fixed the problem. I'm so glad it's not the receiver after all.

• As my pursuit for additions to my games collection slows down, I've decided to take my first steps into emulation since my time with the likes of Bleem and Snes9x back in the mid nineties.

While it's showing its age now, I grabbed an Nvidia Shield today and I've started to download a few games and emulators for it. I'll always prefer my original hardware and controllers, but building the ultimate retro station excites me as a project.

I'll never download a ROM or ISO unless I own the original and I refuse to use emulators that need the original systems bios. It took some time to get a working local network in order to transfer files, but I've had a few N64 games running now.

I first had issues with the expanded storage. I have two 128gb jump drives, but even after formatting both, the shield didn't like them. Eventually one was recognized, but even then, formatting them as expanded storage using the Shield, it never showed up.
    I eventually got it working using an old 1TB external drive I bought a while back.

As for file transfer, what a headache. It took a good hour to access the Shield, but it also took an alteration and addition to the registery in order to finally log into the device.

• @tokyoslim

How do you feel about that Vizio P-series so far? Back in 2015 I got a budget 43" Vizio M-series which is 4K with no bells and whistles. I'm very happy with it and think when PS5 comes around, I'd like to stick to Vizio for the HQ product yet budget pricing (compared to Sony/Samsung, etc). How's that picture treating you?

• @dipset So far so good.

It replaced an old Vizio XVS from 2011. Mostly this tv is competing with the Samsung QLED and LG OLED market, so it's definitely not a budget tv. I have no complaints, other than maybe the remote feels a little basic/cheap and the cable management on the back is basically nonexistant.

My last tv was also full-array dimming, but it didn't have 200 zones, so this is a pretty good step up. Also, this new tv is a 65, which honestly - is probably too big for my living room. I will somehow survive tho. Haven't really been able to calibrate color or anything, HDR looks ok, but haven't noticed anything amazing yet. Watched the 4KHDR Blu Ray of Into the Spiderverse the other day and it looked great.

• @tokyoslim said in What did you just Buy/Receive?:

@dipset So far so good.

It replaced an old Vizio XVS from 2011. Mostly this tv is competing with the Samsung QLED and LG OLED market, so it's definitely not a budget tv. I have no complaints, other than maybe the remote feels a little basic/cheap and the cable management on the back is basically nonexistant.

My last tv was also full-array dimming, but it didn't have 200 zones, so this is a pretty good step up. Also, this new tv is a 65, which honestly - is probably too big for my living room. I will somehow survive tho. Haven't really been able to calibrate color or anything, HDR looks ok, but haven't noticed anything amazing yet. Watched the 4KHDR Blu Ray of Into the Spiderverse the other day and it looked great.

HDR isn't supposed to blow you away. But when you begin comparing, you'll find that the colors are usually more realistic. From my blog:

https://ezekiel43.wordpress.com/2019/03/25/about-mastering-old-movies-for-hdr/

"Using HDR isnโ€™t about making things more saturated or brighter, itโ€™s about having a wider range of colors to work with."

I'm looking forward to Black Hawk Down this weekend. The daylight looks more like freaking daylight now. Scroll down to the big screenshot to see.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13115&d2=13113&s1=130839&s2=130812&i=5&l=0

• I got a hat and a t-shirt ๐Ÿ‘
    alt text

• Sonic Colors (DS)
    Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
    Batman: Brave and the Bold (Wii)

• I asked for samurai movie recommendations here sometime ago, and I just got one of em' (13 Assassins). Would have ordered a second samurai movie, but I got The Grand Budapest Hotel instead, I can't resist since it's been haunting my to-watch list for a while.

alt text

Also, here's a code for TGBH digital copy, I can't use it.

alt text

• 0_1558358000174_20190518_132737_resized.jpg

• @bam541 let me know what you think of 13 Assassins

• @tokyoslim Of course! I should be watching it in a day or two.

• @neocweeny Thought long and hard about that Global Match print. Then I totally forgot about Battle Garegga and it's now sold out. Guess I'll need to just grab a Japanese copy of that one.

Was the Guilty Gear physical pack Europe only? Can't seem to see it here.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Yeah, I think it's only Europe and Japan.

Gotta be fast with those Limited Run games. They sadly get sold out fast.

• Picked up Avatar: The Last Airbender (Blu-ray) and Gladiator (UHD) at Best Buy today. Never seen Avatar. I finished the second season of Batman and the third season of Samurai Jack (Well, one episode to go.) just in time.

• @ezekiel you wasted your money with Avatar.

• @spikewolf_26 said in What did you just Buy/Receive?:

@ezekiel you wasted your money with Avatar.

What's wrong with it? Watched the first two episodes. The only thing I'm not happy about is the low resolution of the digital animation. It's an obvious SD upscale. The early 2000s were a bad time for animation.