Selective Creation: Strategically Build the Best 25 Strategy Games List!

• We're winding down with the genres, but there is a critical that now must be built: Strategy Games!

As always - Quick rule refresher for potential new players:

Here's the breakdown: You've been given the power to green-light 25 games, but here's the catch: these 25 games will be the ONLY Strategy games EVER. What should be the games that make the cut? By giving 25 select titles, you are essentially playing an inverse of Kill Your Babies.

You can only give one title until four people have added after you OR 12 hours have passed since the last overall addition, NOT NECESSARILY YOURS, so think really hard about which game should be on the list. It could be your favorite game, or if your favorite is already present, then you can add another you hold dear. Or if you don't like Nintendo, get to trolling if it makes you happy.

To keep some diversity, I'm instituting a franchise cap. So if two entries of a series get put on the list, a third CAN NOT be added.

Once you have given a game, please keep a running list going for the benefit of the next person that would like to play. Because I'm pitching the game, I will refrain from adding to the list unless absolutely necessary because it would be unfair for me to skew the list in my favor.

And so Allies, what are the definitive 25 Strategy games?

Have fun!

• Civilization II

Introduced an aspect of gaming i had never experienced before. Was mind blowing what you could do in it, at the time.

Let the games begin!

• alt text

This is what I imagine @Brannox to be like when watching us create then destroy these lists. Not really, but the image came to mind.

• Civilization II
    Chess

I guarantee none of the other games on this list are going to be played hundreds of years after they're creation, whereas chess has already accomplished that. Chess is already the winner of this genre as chosen by the world. Nowhere in the rules does it say we can only choose video games.

• @Doctor-Professor I thought the same thing. Good pick.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV

I'll be honest with you all I don't really play strategy games, at all. Still got fond memories of this one though, because my brother was addicted to it back in middle/high school and even just hearing Leonard Nimoy's narrations or the absolutely gorgeous opening song take me back.

• @Brannox Do strategy RPG's count?

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Heroes III of Might and Magic

My strategy game of choice, and for plethora of good reasons. It has many great campaigns, hundreds of scenarios and actually functional random map generator. It's a easy recommendation for anyone willing to try turn based strategy outside of Civilization series. Although I don't recommend picking the HD edition from Steam, as it lacks the two excellent expansions and random map generator. Pick it up from GOG instead, and get HD-mod and you get much better experience for less money.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go

Just wanted to prove that @Doctor-Professor 's guarantee isn't worth anything.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go
    Master of Magic

I played hours and hours of this game, and it was my introduction to the TBS genre. Powerful heroes, building cities and stacked armies to dominate the world and underworld. Man, I might have to fire this up again.

• @TokyoSlim Until the impending Stone Shortage of 2023, that is

• @Doctor-Professor oh, we'll probably all be dead by then.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer

The original. Very first strategy game I played (on PlayStation!).

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV <- Should be removed, rules state you can't have 2 games from same franchise
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2

First game that came to mind was Starcraft 2, but I'm confident someone else well add it or the original Starcraft. Then I considered Rise of Nations but thought going through the ages I could get through Civ even though they play vastly different. So I ended up with Crusader Kings 2 because there isn't really anything quite like it. I've poured hundreds of hours into this game and gladly give Paradox more money for every major DLC that is released so they continue to support it. It has a huge learning curve but I think that adds to the satisfaction you get when you are eventually able to bend people to your will.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV <- Should be removed, rules state you can't have 2 games from same franchise
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2
    Age of Mythology

An oft forgotten gem. Would kill to see this franchise come back.

• @Zikron said in Selective Creation: Strategically Build the Best 25 Strategy Games List!:

Civilization II
    Chess
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2

Your allowed to have two games, just not a third.

• @CGamor7 said in Selective Creation: Strategically Build the Best 25 Strategy Games List!:

@Zikron said in Selective Creation: Strategically Build the Best 25 Strategy Games List!:

Civilization II
    Chess
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2

Your allowed to have two games, just not a third.

Oh farts, my bad.

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2
    Age of Mythology
    Fire Emblem Awakening

A none PC strategy game :O

• Global Moderator

Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2
    Age of Mythology
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    StarCraft

Ive spent hours and hours with this game! well balanced, epic story and it really deserves to be on this list!

• Civilization II
    Chess
    Civilization IV
    Go
    Master of Magic
    Command & Conquer
    Crusader Kings 2
    Age of Mythology
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    StarCraft
    Victoria 2

Vicky 2 is probably the game I've devoted the most time to in my life, now if only Paradox would release a third one, with the option of importing from EUIV