The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media"

• So the reason why I really loved GT and continue to love EZA is because unlike pretty much all games media I regularly consume, they're actually positive about videogames. There's always something the Allies are hyped for, and even when a stinker releases they'll occasionally say "alright, not great but there were some fun moments" while YouTubers and forums rip the game to absolute shreds in a massive circlejerk. Does anyone else feel this way? Most of the (few) gaming podcasts I listen to along with the YouTubers I subscribe to seem to be very negative about the industry all the time. I honestly can't name many channels that have as much fun with games as the Allies do while also maintaining high integrity.

• I agree it was part of the reason I felt so depressed when Gametrailers closed. It's really hard to feel positive about games if you go off of other websites but these guys feel so genuine.

• It's more popular to hate games. Developers are lazy. Publishers steal our money. Games were better before. Hardware ruins gaming. Gotta get those clicks. Once you don't need clicks to survive you can just enjoy games and live a jolly life.

• @Nesnomis yeah. And this is why we need the Allies. I am so happy their Patreon was a success, couldn't do without them.

• This is exactly why I loved GT and now adore EZA. I've distanced myself from all the constant hate that surrounds journalism in general. These guys are a ray of sunshine in a rather gloomy world of constant hate.

They just seem to magnify any small mistake. Even if a game had so many problems, I don't think it's helpful to anyone, consumers and devs, to just completely trash the game and in some cases the developer themselves. I don't get this mentality of going after the developer and bad mouthing them.

Anyway... LOVE LIVE EZA!

• I'm right there with you.

• I feel it might be mostly Huber? ;P While it's true that none of the Easy Allies crew usually overdo their negativity regarding videogames (Except maybe Ian, still love him though). That people like Angry Joe and Totalbiscuit might do. I used to respect TB alot, while I still think he is intelligent and well spoken, he is too negative and especially agressive for me. But these are youtubers, not traditional games media. Is traditional media all really that cynical and negative? I don't really follow anything besides Gametrailers/Easy Allies and a local games magazine so I don't have vast experience in the subject. I've heard complaints about Giant Bomb, but what about IGN, Gamespot etc? I watched Kinda Funny podcasts between Gametrailers and Easy Allies. They didn't seem that negative and cynical to me.

• Even if some of them hate a game, there will always be one of them that will give game a shot. But it's really special how genuinely they love videogames. And they enjoy playing them. There is no group more passionate for the games and their community.

• @Budi Totalbiscuit is fine, he's the Cynical Brit. But his podcast which features other people is always really negative in their discussions.

Kotaku is one of the prime examples of a site that trashes on videogames and the culture surrounding them fairly often since they editorialize most if not all of their content. IGN less so, Polygon more so (absolute trash). Reddit comment sections on articles are usually the worst of the worst since they perform witch hunts and rag on any game that's done anything slightly wrong really hard.

Videogamer.com has a podcast that they do which was constantly "fuck this videogame in particular" for a long time until I had to stop listening to their content. So no, it's not just YouTubers.

Would not say it's just Huber that's pro videogames. Bosman has shown for years with Final Bosman that he really loves games and is excited for anything new. I'd say all of them go hard on the "gaming is jolly" thing, sometimes with the exception of Hinck and Damiani who while not overly critical, just might not have that much interest in every genre.

• Oh yeah, I agree that forums are full of hateful people. I really get burned out when reading any discussion regarding videogames. For some reason I used to think that Neogaf was a great place for level headed discussion. But the more I read it, more disappointed I get.

And for Bosman, his comments and opinions on Miyamoto have bothered me lately. It's been going on for a long time, but I always took it that he was playing it up for comedic effect. But sometimes he just seems vicious and mean and I'm not sure anymore if he is mostly joking or not. It's ofcourse ok to give criticism which he has done very well. But for example the comment about wishing Miyamoto's retirement shook me. The man deserves some respect at least.

For Damiani, it's easier for me to see when he is just trolling ;)

• @Budi I know the Miyamoto thing might be one of the more negative things he's done in a while, but he explains in the video why he thinks that way. The Wii U was totally Miyamoto's failure and the decline of Nintendo. People have been fired for less, genius or not. Don't think its fair to say that's an example of Bosman being too hard.

• Personally I really can't blame the failure of Wii U on Miyamoto alone, don't think he is even the biggest reason for it. And in all fairness, it does have some really great games on it. Some games even benefit from the second screen experience quite nicely. Wii U is the only console this gen that interests me since I upgraded my PC greatly last year. But it's true that Wii U is a big time financial flop.

And I really have nothing against Bosman, I love him just like any of the Allies. But it's just that he even acknowledged the Star Fox episode being mean, I appreciated that. I wasn't excepting an apology or him backtracking on his comments. But then next time he talked about Miyamoto he says his dream is to see Miyamoto retire :D It just rubs me the wrong way when people make comments like "he should stop making videogames!". Since there are people who will love those games, why take it away from them. And it's not like Miyamoto has been doing a bomb after bomb. Isn't he heavily involved with Pikmin for example? Star Fox even got a positive review from EZA.

• @Budi agree to disagree, I suppose.

• @Hoken said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

@Budi agree to disagree, I suppose.

That works for me. :) But just like the EZA crew i'm trying to avoid cynicism regarding video games. Since games and movies are the things distracting me from the bullshit going on in the society.

• Dude I had this exact same thought while I was at work today listening to some of my podcasts. I really like The Giant Bombcast and the Co-Optional Podcast but so many of the people on those panels are so cynical and jaded when it comes to talking about E3 and the industry. It's so refreshing to have a group of people to listen to that are generally positive about their coverage. Even when they don't necessarily like something it's great to see the Allies get emotional while talking about topics they have strong opinions on. They're all so good at amping everyone up and I feel like the community is also great at reciprocating the good vibes. Tell me you've ever seen someone in games media show as much genuine emotion and hype over a game announcement as Huber and the rest of the allies showed during that Sony conference last year. That kind of coverage is so much more fun than watching a panel of people who seem like they don't actually want to be there.

I was so bummed when GT got shut down. I was constantly keeping tabs on the allies to try and find out what each of their next things would be. I'm so glad they got back together for EZA and I couldn't be happier with the massive success they've achieved in such a short amount of time.

• I used to be a really big fan of Giant Bomb but i the last few years they just became so miserable and negative I had to stop listening.

I think EZA has a good balance of interesting feelings about games, even if some of them hate a game there's usually somebody there to argue a case for it

• Global Moderator

I'm so sick of the negativity. I think that thread on neogaf titled something like "Why are gamers so negative?" sums it all up really about gaming.

It's so refreshing to just listen to people who actually seem to really like games and then to have a pretty like minded community.

Some people really need to remember why they play games.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

I'm so sick of the negativity. I think that thread on neogaf titled something like "Why are gamers so negative?" sums it all up really about gaming.

It's so refreshing to just listen to people who actually seem to really like games and then to have a pretty like minded community.

Some people really need to remember why they play games.

That's what every journalist needs to remember and every consumer as well. Let's bring back the 90s magazine era of journalism. Lol

• @Hesperus 90's and early 00's journo will never return, because that sort of journalism isn't getting clicks anymore. It's too much effort to write anything insightful if you can get twice the money for writing fluff pieces of hyperbole and reaction-mongering. I'm sure it still exists, but now it's on blogs that I've never heard of because they'll never hit the front page of Reddit.

• @Hoken said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

@Hesperus 90's and early 00's journo will never return, because that sort of journalism isn't getting clicks anymore. It's too much effort to write anything insightful if you can get twice the money for writing fluff pieces of hyperbole and reaction-mongering. I'm sure it still exists, but now it's on blogs that I've never heard of because they'll never hit the front page of Reddit.

I remember Brandon saying when EZA started how DEFY wanted them to generate content on how many clicks it got.. or analysing why a video didn't do so well. I'm so glad they don't have to worry about that anymore. It's annoying when now it's all about the click bait. Some headlines just have no relation to the actual article!