The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media"

• @Budi I know the Miyamoto thing might be one of the more negative things he's done in a while, but he explains in the video why he thinks that way. The Wii U was totally Miyamoto's failure and the decline of Nintendo. People have been fired for less, genius or not. Don't think its fair to say that's an example of Bosman being too hard.

• Personally I really can't blame the failure of Wii U on Miyamoto alone, don't think he is even the biggest reason for it. And in all fairness, it does have some really great games on it. Some games even benefit from the second screen experience quite nicely. Wii U is the only console this gen that interests me since I upgraded my PC greatly last year. But it's true that Wii U is a big time financial flop.

And I really have nothing against Bosman, I love him just like any of the Allies. But it's just that he even acknowledged the Star Fox episode being mean, I appreciated that. I wasn't excepting an apology or him backtracking on his comments. But then next time he talked about Miyamoto he says his dream is to see Miyamoto retire :D It just rubs me the wrong way when people make comments like "he should stop making videogames!". Since there are people who will love those games, why take it away from them. And it's not like Miyamoto has been doing a bomb after bomb. Isn't he heavily involved with Pikmin for example? Star Fox even got a positive review from EZA.

• @Budi agree to disagree, I suppose.

• @Hoken said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

@Budi agree to disagree, I suppose.

That works for me. :) But just like the EZA crew i'm trying to avoid cynicism regarding video games. Since games and movies are the things distracting me from the bullshit going on in the society.

• Dude I had this exact same thought while I was at work today listening to some of my podcasts. I really like The Giant Bombcast and the Co-Optional Podcast but so many of the people on those panels are so cynical and jaded when it comes to talking about E3 and the industry. It's so refreshing to have a group of people to listen to that are generally positive about their coverage. Even when they don't necessarily like something it's great to see the Allies get emotional while talking about topics they have strong opinions on. They're all so good at amping everyone up and I feel like the community is also great at reciprocating the good vibes. Tell me you've ever seen someone in games media show as much genuine emotion and hype over a game announcement as Huber and the rest of the allies showed during that Sony conference last year. That kind of coverage is so much more fun than watching a panel of people who seem like they don't actually want to be there.

I was so bummed when GT got shut down. I was constantly keeping tabs on the allies to try and find out what each of their next things would be. I'm so glad they got back together for EZA and I couldn't be happier with the massive success they've achieved in such a short amount of time.

• I used to be a really big fan of Giant Bomb but i the last few years they just became so miserable and negative I had to stop listening.

I think EZA has a good balance of interesting feelings about games, even if some of them hate a game there's usually somebody there to argue a case for it

• Global Moderator

I'm so sick of the negativity. I think that thread on neogaf titled something like "Why are gamers so negative?" sums it all up really about gaming.

It's so refreshing to just listen to people who actually seem to really like games and then to have a pretty like minded community.

Some people really need to remember why they play games.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

I'm so sick of the negativity. I think that thread on neogaf titled something like "Why are gamers so negative?" sums it all up really about gaming.

It's so refreshing to just listen to people who actually seem to really like games and then to have a pretty like minded community.

Some people really need to remember why they play games.

That's what every journalist needs to remember and every consumer as well. Let's bring back the 90s magazine era of journalism. Lol

• @Hesperus 90's and early 00's journo will never return, because that sort of journalism isn't getting clicks anymore. It's too much effort to write anything insightful if you can get twice the money for writing fluff pieces of hyperbole and reaction-mongering. I'm sure it still exists, but now it's on blogs that I've never heard of because they'll never hit the front page of Reddit.

• @Hoken said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

@Hesperus 90's and early 00's journo will never return, because that sort of journalism isn't getting clicks anymore. It's too much effort to write anything insightful if you can get twice the money for writing fluff pieces of hyperbole and reaction-mongering. I'm sure it still exists, but now it's on blogs that I've never heard of because they'll never hit the front page of Reddit.

I remember Brandon saying when EZA started how DEFY wanted them to generate content on how many clicks it got.. or analysing why a video didn't do so well. I'm so glad they don't have to worry about that anymore. It's annoying when now it's all about the click bait. Some headlines just have no relation to the actual article!

• This post is deleted!

• @Hesperus That's the ultimate sad truth, really. Look at the quality content GT made the last few years, and how few clicks they actually got towards the end. It really shows how the crowd they actually made content for (the general public who consumed games journalism) didn't bother with their content anymore. The only way they were ever going to continue to do it was to go straight to their niche audience on Patreon. I imagine videogamer.com went to patreon for the same reason; quality content < fast easy gossip in terms of clicks.

• EZA and Kinda Funny are easily my favorite go to media for games and podcast. I don't hate Giant Bomb but I don't really watch their content often. They just seem to tight sometimes which is ok but I would rather watch a bunch of friends enjoying video games and having fun.

• I only bother with Kinda Funny and EZA. They're the only places where the members feel genuine and actually enjoy games and that's exactly what I want.

• @Sora said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

I only bother with Kinda Funny and EZA. They're the only places where the members feel genuine and actually enjoy games and that's exactly what I want.

This is exactly, I mean they looked stoic while the big games were announced and Gamespot and Giant Bomb that is it was kind of sad to see.I'm not a fan of Shenmue but it got me excited because others have wanted that game forever.

• As a lot have said, I just really enjoy the EZA crew's enthusiasm for games!
    Another thing is the general lack of politics or agendas in their stuff. A lot of places now feel the need to tell us what is right and wrong (I think Eurogamer and VG247 are particularly bad at this).

Just some guys making content that they love.

• @Farsendor Yeah, I appreciate that many people enjoy the giant bomb stuff etc. but it's just not for me.

• I think the main difference is that not everyone grew up owning land.

• @Budi said in The difference between EZA & "Cynical games media":

And I really have nothing against Bosman, I love him just like any of the Allies. But it's just that he even acknowledged the Star Fox episode being mean, I appreciated that. I wasn't excepting an apology or him backtracking on his comments. But then next time he talked about Miyamoto he says his dream is to see Miyamoto retire :D It just rubs me the wrong way when people make comments like "he should stop making videogames!". Since there are people who will love those games, why take it away from them. And it's not like Miyamoto has been doing a bomb after bomb. Isn't he heavily involved with Pikmin for example? Star Fox even got a positive review from EZA.

I don't think Bosman's wrong, really. I think he even expressed it this past few days when discussing Kojima's appearance at Sony's press conference, when he said something to the effect of, "You can see a guy here whose been in the game for 30 years and still pushing the boundaries and creating stories/experiences that captivate people." To me, that's kind of an indictment of Miyamoto, who hasn't been doing anything like that, and, is at best treading water while games push forward.

Star Fox Zero had.....no imagination, no creativity, nothing. It had decent controls, I guess, but you expect more from "industry leaders" like Miyamoto. And like a previous poster said, people have been fired for less.

• EasyAllies talks about games with the goal of enjoying them. Most other games media talks about games with the goal of being right. They strive to find some objective truth in the game and quantify it for people.

Whether its Ian talking about puzzle games, Ben about Persona, Jones with Disney Infinity/Lego Dimensions, Brad talking about Bloodborne, Kyle with Nintendo, Damiani with Zelda, Blood with racing games, Don with Detective games or Huber being Huber, every single person at EasyAllies talks with passion, with their one goal being enjoying video games.

With that passion you can get disappointment, like when Kyle has talked about Nintendo, or recently the Final Fantasy XV conversations. But thats why its so impactful to strive to enjoy these games so much. There's a chance of failure. Thats what makes EasyAllies attitude so enjoyable. They are pretty much Captain America saying "I can do this all day!".

Its something to admire, and a mindset that I strive to match. Honestly, my life (and issues with depression) has improved so much since I've started watching these guys. It means a lot.