Sonic Mania & Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/NSW)

• Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Surely I'm not the only one here that's excited about this game. It got delayed into Summer, but honestly I can't see that as a bad thing. Let it cook and it's gonna be an easy 10/10 (and this is coming from somebody that gives out 10's about as often as Bloodworth.)

(edited the title to reflect that the thread is also about Sonic Forces as well.)

• It might be the Witcher goggles, or I might just be too young and to be influenced by sonic, but for someone like me this game has no value.

• @Nillend i sadly feel the same way while ive played the sonic games on the genesis they dont appeal to me either, could be that they were before my time

• @FF7Cloud @Nillend It may very well be nostalgia, but I'm very excited for this game. Heck, I'm a big fan of Sonic Adventure even. You could always just give it a try if you have the opportunity. Sonic gets mislabeled as a game where speed is the end-all-be-all, but it really is an enjoyable platformer that combines a balance of action and precision (at least the older entries; I can't speak for ones past SA2). But not all games are for everyone; I recognize that I'm largely a product of my childhood.

As for the delay, remember the wisdom of Mr. Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

• I am very excited for this game and it is 100% nostalgia. I recently went back to replay Sonic 1 and 2 and I still loved it. This game feels so good and true to the originals that I can't wait to get my hands on the full game. Its not for everybody but its definitely for me.

Also we should be getting some information on Sonic 2017 (

) today. Get ready for a train wreck or a pleasantly mediocre surprise.

• @Tragosaurus I always hold out foolish hope for a wonderful 3D game, but I wouldn't place a bet on it. Of course, I am looking forward to (hopefully soon) playing through the bad 3D Sonic games for the first time while dragging my friends along the dark path with me. In that way, even the bad entries are good.

• I love most 2D Sonics (especially Sonic 2) and while this looks promising, keep in mind it's being created by some very unproven developers. The two teams behind it are:

Headcannon - responsible for the Sonic 1 & 2 ports to mobile. The only other game I found that they've worked on doesn't look exactly thrilling.

Youtube Video

PagodaWest Games - looks as though they've only worked on mobile. These games have a more cohesive art style and a bit more energy.

Youtube Video

I hope for all our sake they knock it out of the park but I personally wouldn't be able to assign a 10/10 to developers with these track records.

• @SabotageTheTruth Worth mentioning at least that Headcannon's ports were top tier ports. Lots of this game's success banks on nostalgia with remixed zones from old games and such, but it's not nostalgia to simply want a new game that plays like this today and plays well. That's what many people see in Sonic Mania, and there's no reasons games like this shouldn't exist today alongside their modernized, more technically impressive, big budget counterparts. Even if people want a Metroid Prime 4 or next evolution of the that franchise and the indie scene is bogged down with "Metroidvanias", there's still value to releasing a brand new, official, traditional 2D Metroid game today if it's a good game.

• @Mbun I actually meant to ask about the quality of their ports, good to hear they were top quality.

• @Billy said in Sonic Mania (PC/PS4/XBO/NSW):

I always hold out foolish hope for a wonderful 3D game, but I wouldn't place a bet on it.

That's how I always feel. I want that AAA quality amazing 3D game but I know its not going to happen and don't let myself get excited for one. If nothing else it'll be fun to laugh at how ridiculous it might be.

• @SabotageTheTruth Stealth (head of Headcannon) and Taxman (Christian Whitehead) are extremely proven within the Sonic fangame community though. If absolutely nothing else their work on the Retro Engine and the ports of 1, 2 and CD should inspire hope that the game will play as well as them.

• @DeweyDTruman said in Sonic Mania (PC/PS4/XBO/NSW):

Let it cook and it's gonna be an easy 10/10

alt text

• Nostalgia plays a big part for me, I was 11 when I played the first Sonic and loved the Megadrive games, really looking forward to this as well

• I played the originals not too long ago for the first time (few years ago), I liked them but I'm not really excited about Sonic Mania, I think it will get lost in the ever increasing pile of things I would like to play but never actually touch.

• @Tragosaurus

I still play the original genesis ones every couple years and they still hold up very well. So glad this game will control like them and not Sonic 4

• Banned

We should turn this into a Sonic General so it includes both Mania and Forces.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Banned

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Banned

Some new information on Forces and Mania.

A new interview with Takashi Iizuka was included in the latest issue of Famitsu, along with info on Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. What we’ve learned is below, most of which translated by various people, including SourceGaming and Woun. Nothing about Sonic Mania was of much note:

• The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.

• There is a circular ring of white stars above a Mirage Saloon screenshot in Sonic Mania, suggesting the return of Sonic 3’s bonus stages.

• “The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”

• “Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.

• Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year. We are told that E3 will be where the third character will be revealed.

• Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one. The reason why Eggman takes over so much of the world is because of “a new power” that his obtains, resulting in his army controlling that much of the world. However, this power is also what makes Classic Sonic appear.

• Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings and Black Knight. He also directed Sonic Lost World and the Wii version of Sonic Colors.

• Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.

• “Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”

• “This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”

• 2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.

• The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.

• Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”.

• The general rule for the art of Sonic Mania was to be above the level of Genesis, but under the level of Saturn.
      The gameplay for Mania is similar to Sonic 3’s. The elemental shields were mentioned, but just that they are returning (that, we already knew).

• I don't mean to be a party pooper, but Sonic Forces really doesn't look good to me.

There's never been a great 3D Sonic game (I'd argue there's never been a great Sonic game, period), and it doesn't seem like they suddenly nailed the formula. I truly think Sonic is fundamentally flawed as a concept, and all the successive devs manage to do is slap gimmick upon gimmick to try and add variety, but it always ends up falling flat. This series has no direction whatsoever, whether it's about gameplay, art style, story... anything really. It's an eternally rebooted, eternally disappointing IP. I don't understand why it's still alive.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be a fun game!

• Banned

@Axel said in Sonic Mania (PC/PS4/XBO/NSW):

(I'd argue there's never been a great Sonic game, period)

Well aren't you a nice little bowl of sunshine.