Sonic Mania & Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/NSW)

• Now that is a great trailer! Still zero interest in the game, but I'll give them that!

• Banned

@DisturbedSwan Well, I already pre-ordered it on Steam and I just checked the Playstation and Xbox store. It's available on both.

So I'm assuming the Switch has it up as well. If not then wtf Nintendo.

• Mania's trailer is really good, and the little gameplay shown of Forces looks alright, I'm not too excited for either, but might just check them out if they turn out to be good. Looks like Sega keeps doing well and maybe finally doing good on Sonic.

• Banned

Chemical Plant Zone

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Banned

And some music from Forces.

Youtube Video

• So me liking Sonic Mania is a given, but I am sorta surprised by how much I want Sonic Forces to be good. I really want to like a modern Sonic game.

• Banned

@Inustar It looks like It'll play exactly like Unleashed/Colors/Generations. So if you were a fan of any of those you'll probably like this one too.

• @Art I enjoyed Generations, but the format and movement of Modern Sonic's stages never quite feel right. It's probably because I played so much Sonic Adventure. There just seemed to be more freedom of motion and more open spaces in those. The newer iterations are all about speed and almost restrict movement to lanes. It's just a style preference, a Mario 64 vs 3D World sort of thing. I completely understand the switch; I'm sure I'll still have a good time. I just hope they can make that type of story-centric 3D Sonic game again someday and have it actually be refined and great.

• Banned

@Billy Lost World tried to go back to that, but the level design for the later half of the game killed it.

• @Art I know the 3D Sonic games aren't generally well regarded, but I've been in a mood lately to try them out anyhow. I only played Adventure 1 & 2, albeit a whole lot. Maybe I'll drag my friends along to make it more entertaining, but I'd be curious to see where the franchise went astray.

• Banned

@Billy After Adventure 2 the series went downhill with Heroes, then even further down with Shadow, then EVEN FURTHER DOWN with 06.

Then Unleashed came along taking inspiration from the DS games which created the groundwork for what modern Sonic is today.

• Banned

Lots of new Mania and Forces footage for those interested.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• I wonder if we can make our created character look exactly like sonic? I have no interest in creating my own

Also gonna skip the Sonic Mania boss video as I want to be surprised when it gets here

• Banned

E very
    V illain
    I s
    L emons

Youtube Video

That last bad guy reveal was the most deviantart character I've ever seen.

• Calling it now, final boss is Coldsteel vs Coldsteeler.

• Banned

Some gameplay

Youtube Video

And what I believe is the boxart. Doubt it's that good of a fake.

alt text

• Banned

A good five minutes of Chemical Plant Zone from Polygon.

Youtube Video

• http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/first_impressions_running_scared_from_sonic_forces

The Classic Sonic stage was a boss fight, starting off as very typical and straighforward [...] although the controls and weight of Sonic felt slightly off. On the whole though the boss was relatively boring to fight.

Modern Sonic’s affair is precisely what you’d expect; a cookie-cutter modern Sonic-style course more akin to the ‘mach speed’ sections in the 2006 reboot.

The Avatar’s stage, on the other hand, was even worse. Speed is put on the back burner but there’s no speed at all beyond a handful of CPU-controlled manoeuvres. Instead you have to use your weapon [...] and each activation of said weapon slows you down, meaning the core mechanic of the Avatars has nothing to do with speed.

Unfortunately the Sonic Forces demo falls down flat in almost every regard [...] and the gameplay is bland and utterly predictable.

If this truly is representative of the final game then we have serious reservations. Classic Sonic feels just about fine [...] Modern Sonic feels dry and boring, forcing you to take no time to appreciate anything. Finally the Avatar stage feels like an afterthought.

Nothing feels like it has any focus or passion behind it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-06-maybe-its-time-for-us-to-leave-sonic-teams-take-on-its-series-behind

Sonic Forces, however is a fairly limp tread through Sonic old and new that introduces an all-new flavour likely to leave a lingering bad taste.

It's like a Saturday morning cartoon, but one of those really crap ones your brain can no longer endure no matter how much damage you did it the night before [...] The action itself is remarkably clumsy, lacking the elegance and style the series was once known for and overcompensating with an abundance of noise.

It has sections played by a customisable avatar that are clumsier still, in which you fire your way through hordes of robots in appropriated versions of a level you may well have just sped through as modern Sonic. It's almost like the Shadow the Hedgehog sequel you hoped would never, ever exist.

Jumping to Forces from the exquisite looking Mania just goes to show how far removed Sonic Team's own classic Sonic is from the 16-bit ideal. There's something off about the physics and friction [...] and the encounter - a spin on Green Hill Zone's original Robotnik encounter - feels plain messy.

None of it is truly disastrous - and it is, of course, only a small section of the final piece - but it most definitely is disappointing.

Two recent previews for Sonic Forces are pretty negative, and it's very rare for previews to be, so I'd say that's not a good sign. Might want to keep expectations in check for that one.

• Banned

Modern Sonic’s affair is precisely what you’d expect; a cookie-cutter modern Sonic-style course more akin to the ‘mach speed’ sections in the 2006 reboot.

Referencing Sonic 2006 when the gameplay is exactly like Generations?

Okay Nintendolife.

• Banned