My Journey with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

• Hey guys, I recently posted this under the "Love and Respect" comment section under this weeks podcast on Patreon and thought it would be interesting to post here since it was not discussed in the podcast (no hard feelings lol.)

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post . . .

*"My question for the panel [now the forum] is - what type of trials have video games help you to overcome (or even just cope with) in your life? Personally, I have suffered for the past 12 years from extreme Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Contrary to the common cultural misconception - this is a severe mental disease that affects literally every facet of my life. The easiest way I can quickly illustrate OCD is an over-active mind that fixates on "Obsessions" and leads to the necessity of completing certain "Compulsions" to avoid the severe anxiety, panic attacks, and even depression that are sure to follow. It can be something as simple as not remembering if I shut the stove off before leaving the house (even if I have not used the stove in a few days) - my brain will take that and run with every possible scenario (i.e. - the stove burning my house, and even the neighborhood down causing my family and I to end up homeless and being sued by all my neighbors.) Even if I am sure I shut the stove off - the stakes are so high in my brain that to combat that obsession - I would need to go home and constantly check the stove over and over again to make sure it is indeed shut off. As you could imagine - this is very difficult to combat and has a severe affect on everyday life. While this may sound unreasonable - in the moment it seems completely rational - and I will do almost anything to satisfy the obsession. This is where video games come in - they have helped my over-active mind to stay occupied - allowing me to focus on relaxing, avoid panic attacks, and even carry on deeper conversations with my wife while I am playing!

To re-state my question - What are some things video games have helped you overcome? I think OCD has been grossly misunderstood in today's culture because people tend to joke about having OCD as a way to overstate their tendencies toward organization. This really hurts because I don't think anyone's real-life mental disorders should be used as a punchlines to a joke.

Overall, I hope that in the future - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder will get the love, respect, and attention it deserves - and that people will be better educated to acknowledge early signs of OCD in others and themselves - so they can get the help they need.

Love and Respect Captain Kraken (CptnKraken)"*

PS - Easy Allies/Gametrailers has helped me through some very rough times in my life. I would watch marathons of "The Final Bosman" at night and find myself laughing more that I have in a long time. I would get so emotionally invested in the bets that Kyle and Huber would make, and I even listen to your podcasts all day at work to help my mind to focus on something other than my OCD and you guys will always have a special place in my heart. I have been a fan for years - and I will never take what you guys do for granted. THANKS!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.