Does it Hold Up?

• We've already had a few threads over the months here that listed games worth giving a second chance to, things we tried again and found we loved. While that can indeed be a profound experience, I'd like to dive into the exact opposite - games you initially loved but after revisiting for a playthrough years later, you discover the game just isn't doing it for you anymore.

Since I like to provide examples to get the ball rolling, I'll swing for the fences - Final Fantasy X. I devoured this game when it first released. I'd wake up at 6 in the morning to play a little before my day and upon getting home, I'd play even more. I wrote down badass lines Auron said. My friend lost his save data 20 hours in and I gladly got him right back up to that point. Any excuse I could find to play this FF, I'd take all while admitting it was my favorite Final Fantasy and perhaps one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Fast forward to the HD release on PS3/PS4 and I was chomping at the bit to relive all those great memories again over a decade later. The introduction still impressed me but once I was sucked into Spira I found myself... not caring. The combat didn't feel quite as intense as say Final Fantasy VII, where I needed to react quickly. The characters (aside from Rikku and Auron) felt more bland than I remembered them. The voice acting became actually grating to me and I considered skipping cutscenes entirely. A game I loved, a game I considered one of the best... felt like something that was a chore to play. After about a solid 20 to 30 hours, I had to drop the game. Was I just an easily impressed child? Have my tastes changed so drastically that I can't appreciate things like this anymore? Or is the passage of time more unkind to certain types of games? All I can know for certain is... I feel like I've been breaking up with Final Fantasy X for this entire paragraph.

So what about all of you? What games did you love years ago but suddenly can't stand?

• Goldeneye was a big part of my childhood.

Game simply does not hold up.

• @bard91 said in Does it Hold Up?:

Goldeneye was a big part of my childhood.

QFT

• @SabotageTheTruth Fascinating. I love that game and seeing your critiques provide a unique perspective. Kind of sad it's fallen out of your good graces, but that's how it goes I guess. Shrugs shoulders

For me, I'm having a real difficult time of thinking of a game that fits your criteria. I don't own many games from my childhood anymore save the first three Spyro games. And I still enjoy those. I may not still own the first gen of Pokemon, and my copy of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the Game Boy Color has long since died, but I still like them. I guess if I had to pick one, it's slightly breaking the rules a little bit:

The first three Crash Bandicoot games.

I don't own them anymore, but I have fond memories of them. And I've had the urge to go out into the interwebs and purchase me a copy of the originals. Yet, because of the great run of games that have been released and other personal priorities, they've fallen by the wayside.

So, since the N'Sane Trilogy was announced, I've anticipated the remasters very highly. And when I get it, I'll play through them again, as it has been so long, but they're not the same look, and potentially, controls, so in effect, it may not be the same experience.

• @Brannox As Bosman would say, Trash Bandicoot.

• @SabotageTheTruth Well I think we both know Mr. Bosman doesn't have the best taste. ;-)

• I've never been able to find anything that falls into that category. I'm frequently delving into my collection and replay things from all generations. With exception of no longer having that magic that comes with playing anything for the first time ever, I've still yet to find anything that I enjoy less than when I played it in its day.

• System Shock 2

Sort of, it is still playable, there are mods, but as a whole, with respawning enemies and limited ammo plus lots of back tracking make it a chore to play

Goldeneye was a big part of my childhood.

Multiplayer is still fun to jump into.

• @CGamor7 from my experience it isnt

• This isn't entirely the case, but FF7. I have no issues with the graphics, talking to ppl, the story. The music alone make the game enjoyable. But the one area that kind of prevents me from enjoying it is the battle system. It's slow and repetitive. Otherwise I have no issues jumping into it.

@CGamor7 from my experience it isnt

No your wrong. Your experience is wrong! Your opinon is wrong and golden eye still has world class multiplayer. 😏

I wasn't trying to invalidate your comment with my comment. But looking at it, kinda sounds like it. Not what I meant.

• @CGamor7 Strangely, I have the opposite experience with FF7. I thought it was just okay back when I first played it, but playing the PS4 port a few years ago blew my mind. The 3x speed option helps with those slow battles too.

• @SabotageTheTruth To be clear, I think FF7 holds up just fine. I was saying the only thing that i don't care for is the battle system and how its bogs things down (because ive played it so many times, and the random encounters happen a lot). Its still an amazing game! i don't want to misrepresent that masterpiece lol. Yeah Ive been meaning to get back into it on PS4 before the remake.Can you still earn trophies if you activate the options to speed things up or max out levels?

• I'm playing FF7 for the first time right now... I know graphics shouldn't matter but I'm really not used to the pre-rendered backgrounds and it's legitimately difficult for me to determine what I can traverse on or interact with in the environment. Doesn't happen all the time, but I got stuck for a frustratingly long time just because I couldn't tell there was a passage leading to the next area. I do like the materia system so far, though, and I'm okay with the battle speed as is. Only 3 hours in, though, so opinions are likely to change.

• With my enormous backlog, no game holds up :(

• @naltmank Just to let you know there is a option to show arrows at all exits on the screen (I think its clicking L3 or R3 cant remember) shouldn't be too hard to find out. Hope that helps.

• @naltmank

FF VI remake is the answer

• @FutureCorpse good to know, thanks! I'll look into it.

Also @MSBi if ONLY it were an FFVI remake :D! Though that game holds up marvelously.

• @naltmank

I always say one can dream. We never imagined FF VII getting a remake and neither a Shenmue 3. Dreams are possible. Let me Dream yo!