Indie Gem Thread - Games The Allies Might Not Have Heard About

• Watching the podcast, Ben discussed that if there are any overlooked games that we want to bring to the attention of the Allies, that we try to be constructive and, in so many words, make a thread about it on the forums. As such, I'd like to get started and bring up a few games that I think could use more attention and coverage. If anyone wants to add their own suggestions, feel free to follow my formatting. Should make your life easier. Love and respect.

alt text
    Steam Link
    PS4 Link
    Steam Score: Overwhelmingly Positive
    Reminiscent media: Bloodborne, Castlevania
    Time to Beat: 5 hours

Thoughts: Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight JUST launched on the PS4 three days ago on so there's no better time to bring it to the attention of the Allies than now. It's very much a spiritual successor to both Bloodborne (story/environment) and Castlevania (gameplay). That's not to say this is a Soulsborne game. It's not. But thematically if you've played Bloodborne, you can feel its essence in Momodora.

The fourth in the series Momodora is a platform action game that is both beautiful and TIGHT. Hard without being infuriating, Momodora is one of the best action platformers I've played in years, and while Brad has said he's downloaded it, I still think it deserves a shoutout now that it's arrived on the Playstation 4.

alt text

alt text

• alt text
    Steam Link
    Steam Score: Overwhelmingly Positive
    Reminiscent media: Mad Max: Fury Road, Earthbound
    Time to Beat: 14 hours

Thoughts: Lisa is one of the most darkest, funniest games I've ever played in my life. It doesn't go for gross-out humor as much as existing in a bleak and seedy a world as any I've ever seen in games. Bloody, vile, gory, but wearing it's heart on it's sleeve I can say I've never played anything else like it.

alt text

alt text

• @zen someday I'll play past the first 20 minutes of Lisa as I've tried to do at least 3 times, and I will beat, I don't know when, but I'll do it

• @bard91 said in Indie Gem Thread - Games The Allies Might Not Have Heard About:

@zen someday I'll play past the first 20 minutes of Lisa as I've tried to do at least 3 times, and I will beat, I don't know when, but I'll do it

The first 20 or so minutes are the most straightforward of the whole game. Then the surprises start piling up.

• Just saw! Brad's playing Momodora on Tuesday! :D

• well I know some of the allies love beatem up games so this is a game that I loved. its got a kickass chiptune soundtrack too

Youtube Video

Fist of Awesome

• I game that I am looking at to get when it comes out is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z26vxxdodkw looks really fun

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfP-JCjrmc
    When this game gets to a more finished state I want to ask Ben if he'll stream it. It's such a jolly, relaxing time waster.

• Youtube Video

Steam Score: Very Positive
    Reminiscent media: Plants vs Zombies, Recettear, Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary
    Time to Beat: 14 hours

Thoughts: Unholy Heights is a couple years old at this point but it went largely under the radar when it released. It is a spin on the tower defense genre where you play as the Devil and manage an apartment complex for monsters. It is definitely not a game for everyone, it can get mindless at times, but you can easily adjust the speed to get things moving and there is a good amount of difficulty because of the apartment management system. At $4 though, it certainly won't break the bank!

You must decorate each unit to entice various monsters to move in, collect their rent, build your complex, and defend from human invaders. Each monster class has their own attack style, strengths and weaknesses which you want to keep in mind while you decide who to have move in and individual monsters have their unique stats, hobbies, and jobs. There are tiers to each monster class and you'll have to please the lower ranks in order to recruit the most powerful monsters in each class, but space is limited so you'll have to pick your favorites and focus on those. Some classes also don't get along with one another, which you need to keep in mind as you assign neighbors. If you have two compatible monsters in your building, they may fall in love, move in together, and produce children with stronger stats. Monsters might be killed during raids if you're not careful or you may need to evict them if they are a deadbeat who doesn't pay rent on time... but maybe their battle skills make them useful enough to keep around even if they're broke.

• @fettouhi I Played Beat Cop for a while and it's a fun time management game. You have to do a daily quota of - for example - parking tickets, but also you're trying to investigate some dirty dealings that got you busted down to being a glorified meter maid from Homicide. You have to watch the clock because all you've got is your 8hr shift, and other police work will come up to take up your time. You can decide to take bribes or not, you can try to get involved with organized crime, etc. Can be frustrating and repetitive, but also nerve wracking and fun. Seems like there could be a good story payoff. Excited for it to release.

• @fettouhi We know at least one Ally is looking forward to this game ;)

Youtube Video

• According to the schedule Brad will be streaming Momodora today, some might want to check it out later

• Just wrapped up the Momodora stream. A good time and many allies were asking about the game. Thanks Brad for covering it!

• Great thread idea.

• @logic__error said in Indie Gem Thread - Games The Allies Might Not Have Heard About:

@fettouhi We know at least one Ally is looking forward to this game ;)

Youtube Video

Holy muchachos! Thanks for posting! Didn't even know this video existed :)

• just wanted to let people know that https://thimbleweedpark.com/ is launching today. So if you are looking for a old school point and click game check it out

• another nice little thing people might not know is that planescape torment is coming out remastered in 2 weeks

Youtube Video