Imagine a Breath of the Wild sized Wind Waker!

• The sea would be huge! You could have bigger islands, more islands. It could be set after Wind Waker with Link and Tetra finding the new Hyrule, I suppose a bit like Phantom Hourglass.

Any other ideas?

• I'd rather imagine a Breath of the Wild with proper dungeons scattered throughout. Wind Waker worked well at the size it was built at. Imagine how much worse the triforce fetch quest would be if the world was massive.

• If you pay close attention, you'll see that Breath of the Wild already does everything The Wind Waker did with it's overworld much, much better by creating a terrestrial, non-monotonous yet still pretty sparse world (and without dungeons or items, that's about all it does better).

• Treasure salvaging? In. Magnesis allows Link to pull chests up from the bottom of rivers and lakes, while map pins (among other things) display a large beacon of light on the map for players to follow.

• The deku leaf? In. Though they feel clunkier and not as nice to look at, the paraglider and korok leaf fulfill the same functions as the deku leaf. Sans puzzles.

• The lookout platforms? In. Breath of the Wild has plenty of large enemy platforms, either built around trees or out of them. Tall poles to climb up too.

• The copy-paste X-eye reefs? Breath of the Wild has plenty of reused assets too, just look at Satori Mountain.

The only things The Wind Waker actually has up on Breath of the Wild are changing the direction of the wind and being an actual Zelda game (an admittedly large boost).

The rest of the things in that game aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be. The dungeons are much blanker and less inventive than the N64 Zeldas and Twilight Princess, though I did appreciate their crawl through a hole, burn wood simplicity. The story doesn't really get interesting until the last hour and is by far the most reverent of the Ocarina of Time sequels. A silent protagonist's immediate family are not interesting.

It obviously looks worse than Breath of the Wild — I hope I don't have to explain that one. And it lacks the same amount of underwater dungeons as Breath of the Wild, even more paradoxically because the entire game is set in water. Furthermore, the ice arrows in both aren't actually 'ice' arrows, they're just 'cold damage' arrows, not freezing water when you shoot them at it like Majora's Mask did in 2000.

• @Haru17 said in Imagine a Breath of the Wild sized Wind Waker!:

It obviously looks worse than Breath of the Wild — I hope I don't have to explain that one.

I'd appreciate it if you did, I'm a firm believer that good cel-shading is a timeless art style and Wind Waker probably has the best cel-shading I've ever seen in a game. Half the reason I still haven't bought Wind Waker HD to this day is resentment at how they botched the lighting so hard in it. Unless you're just arguing it looks better in graphical fidelity or resolution or whatever, I won't pretend a 2003 GC game is better than a 2017 Switch game in that department.

• @DeweyDTruman You dare speak ill of Zelda? In front of Damiani junior?!

• I'd rather not tbh.

@Art
    Welcome back!

• @DeweyDTruman I love the Wind Waker, but Breath of the Wild does look better. They talk about how they took inspiration from Wind Waker's artstyle to craft the style they used in Breath of the Wild as a more believable inbetween. Despite Damiani's catchphrase, the actual game is gorgeous pretty often.

• @DeweyDTruman I'm clearly not talking about fidelity, but rather the fact that Breath of the Wild grabs all of the stylistic choices of The Wind Waker, just with more detailed character models / environments / effects. That's not resolution or frame rate, but more detailed art assets and lighting / reflection across the board. Instead of all of those ugly separate explosion 2D elements with hard black outlines, Breath of the Wild's explosions are now drawn to swirl around and dissipate in perfect concert with each other. The lighting and wind are the same but more detailed — now fire dramatically reflects upon Link and the environment anywhere in the world, not just in a few boss fights and areas.

Water obviously looks better, being, for one thing, transparent like real water, allowing you to see objects at the bottom of shallow pools. Instead of that ugly, clipping 2D effect of water parting in front of the King of Red Lions and that of splashing, the water now splashes white when disturbed, playing a realistic two-stage 'ka-chuuunk' as if you were diving in in real life. Water and other terrain also reflects light sources from the world quite beautifully. And Breath of the Wild's replacement for The Wind Waker's featureless water — featureless grass — looks a ton better than the alternatively shifting 2D wave elements or wavy grid pattern that never transitioned to the other very well. It blows in the wind and catches light and looks a lot more realistic than the ground clutter in even most cutting edge western games.

So yeah, Breath of the Wild is just a more detailed version of The Wind Waker, even taking some design elements like the flocks of birds hovering over enemies (again more numerous and more detailed). And I do not buy the argument that games can be timeless or age — they literally look the same. My eyes do not self-garrote upon going back to play Ocarina of Time without the anime masks taped onto everyone when the last game I played was Horizon — it just is what it is. I like The Wind Waker fine when I want to play The Wind Waker, and I don't need it in anything other than 480p with that original art. However, it's very clear how Breath of the Wild evolves that style, which is the closest to strictly superior we're going to get. It's shocking to me that everyone doesn't see the same stylistic identity that exists in both games.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.