Gauging Interest For a Forum Movie Game!

• Hello! This thread is to see if there's any interest in contestants for a forum game focused on movies!

It is a bracket-based game focused on directors, with each contestant drafting 4. They would then choose films from each of their directors to represent them in the bracket, which progresses on a film vs film level with forum-goers voting on which movie they like better. Anyone can vote (even contestants) provided they've seen both films in a match-up.

So we have 6 contestants! Drafting will start shortly.

I will start a new thread once the bracket is created and voting can start!

*Example time:

x drafts Hitchcock, and chooses five films:

1st round: Rear Window
    2nd round: Psycho
    3rd round: North by Northwest
    4th round: The Birds
    Grand Finals: Vertigo

(these would be sent to me privately)

y drafts John Carpenter and chooses his films.

They're seeded against each other in first round: Rear Window vs The Thing.

Rear Window wins after voting, so Hitchcock progresses with Psycho representing him in the next round.

There are of course finer rules to this, but I think they're all pretty obligatory (a director must have made 5 films, must have been credited for said films, etc.).

The idea is to stoke discussion on film and help people to discover films they may not have seen before.

• I'm absolutely interested! I come from a more academic movie background to some extent, but I love voting-based forum games and have a huge appreciation for film in general.

• I am so in.

• Cool! That's 1/8.

Edit 2/8!

And the more diverse backgrounds/knowledge in players, the more varied the directors/films are likely to be!

• I love me some movies and considering I have a job that encourages me to watch them, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

• Sounds like fun, I'm definitely interested!

Quick question. How should we make sure the same director isn't picked twice?

• Great to have you on!

So the drafting process will be carried out through a group chat/PM on this site. It will be a snake draft, with you guys taking turns, and drafting order will be decided after we have all of our contestants.

• Where is the list of directors going to come from?

• I figured it could be anyone you wanted. Within reason of course. Like I said, they need to have made 5 films (since it's a five-round bracket), and their films need to be publicly available.

It's just a draft for the sake of fairness. I imagine there are certain great directors that are going to be wanted by more than one player (ex. Scorsese, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, etc.)

• @Ringedwithtile Sounds good. I dare someone to draft Alejandro Jodorowsky.

• I like this game. There's a lot of strategy involved.. just ranking your favorite movies or putting them in order of quality may not always be the way to win

• Unfortunately, while I'd love to enter, there are only 5 directors of which I've watched enough of their films to qualify (the films I pick to watch are based more on genre and actors than directors), and at least 3 of them are definitely going to be picked by others. I do watch a lot of films, but usually just the biggest hits per director. :(

In case anyone's having trouble figuring out their picks, here's a list of directors I like but haven't seen enough from:

John Ford
    David Lean
    David Lynch
    Hayao Miyazaki
    Terrence Malick
    Buster Keaton
    Paul Verhoeven
    Francois Truffaut
    Howard Hawks
    F.W. Murnau
    D.W. Griffith
    William Wyler
    Michael Powell
    Carol Reed
    Sergei Bondarchuk
    The Korda brothers
    Vittorio De Sica
    Luchino Visconti
    Federico Fellini
    Jan Troell

• You really don't have to have seen all the movies you pick for a given director. Part of the reason I'm doing this game is so that people will feel motivated to see films they've never seen.

But if you're not comfortable with it, that's cool.

• @Ringedwithtile That's definently what I'm using this as - an excuse to watch movies I've had on my list for awhile. I'm going to try to stray out of my comfort zone of directors as well, but we'll see.

I kinda want to draft Michael Bay just to see him lose.

• I'm not sure I got the idea. With eight people, wouldn't there only be three rounds, if the other one is always eliminated? Like four pairs --> two pairs --> one final pair?

I do agree that strategy plays big part here, like whether you want to save your big gun(s) for later or open with it.

• Count me in

• @Sentinel-Beach
    Each player drafts 4 directors, so it'll start at 16 pairs.

There is the possibility of someone having two of their directors face each other, but it's unlikely, and I'll seed it in a way that it can only happen in semi or grand finals.

• @Ringedwithtile Aa, okay, I see. I got that totally wrong, thanks for explaining.

I was kinda interested to join, but I had trouble coming up with already just one or two directors from whom I've seen five films. So four's too tough. Well, I mean there's always Spielberg and Tarantino etc., but those are kind of safe bets. Good, of course, but I would've wanted to go with some others. When I started to check their filmographies I realized I'd just seen three or four films from many of my favourite directors.

• I just got a new popcorn popper. You are all in big trouble now!
    alt text

• Well we made it halfway to a full 8 players in the first hour, and we've only added one more in the last 2+ days, so I think it's fair to say that we won't reach 8, but that's not a big problem.

I'd really like to reach 6, just to have an even number and an easier time making the bracket.

SO!

We'll start once we get one more player, but I need your guys' input on one matter. Since 24 (6x4) isn't a power of 2, we can't have a 'proper' bracket---at least one where each round flows naturally into the next; so it leaves us with two options:

Option 1: We start at a round of 24, then move into a round of 16 and everything flows smoothly from there. The problem is that there have to be 8 directors that start in the second round. I was thinking maybe the last 8 drafted? Even then, there will be two players that have half of their directors automatically in the second round.

Option 2: I pick directors that weren't drafted, select some movies for them, and have them fill out the bracket to a more suitable 32. I wouldn't really be playing to win (if I was it'd be easier for me, given that I have 8 directors to your guys' 4), but rather just for the sake of there being more movies to see. I'd probably pick some of the most notable filmmakers that weren't chosen and pick their more accessible/starting point films just for watchability's sake.

So what do y'all think?

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.