Mighty No. 9

• I just played the Free Trial on Xbox 360.

Seemed like a pretty sweet, cheesy, PS2 game. I guess people are super disappointed but I enjoyed it enough that I am probably going to get the full version. I like the action platforming with the dash and combo system.

• This is definitely a game that has suffered because of all the behind the scenes stuff. The kickstarter just wasn't done properly, and those delays made things worse.

Personally i didn't think it was very good, but if it had just been a normal release, then I think it would have passed by as a meh game.

• I feel bad for Mighty No. 9. I played it and enjoyed it. It's a fine standalone game. It's not that great looking or the most creative, but I didn't find it to to awful at all.

I think most of it stems from the fact that it was hyped up SO much from the Kickstarter, that people had almost this godly view that it had to be perfect. People paid money for a product in advance, and because of the rough road leading up to launch, as well as the fact that it wasn't the highest quality game, the negative impact it has was amplified almost more than it deserves. The fact that so many people are talking about his game and that it's making headlines by being mediocre is super telling. I feel that's a problem relating to all Kickstarted games to be honest, and it worries me about future games that might run into trouble - unless everything goes off without a hitch and the game is flawless, there's gonna be backlash.

In my opinion, it's a perfectly average game which, excluding the Kickstarter mistakes and delays, doesn't deserve some of the intense hatred it's received.

• I don't think that this is a kickstarter problem, we have had great games come out from there. This one though was a perfect storm. Megaman fans had waited so long, and here was the creator of the games promising a return to that style game. And it didn't live up to Megaman. And they had technical issues with launch. Not to mention bad translations of comments that pissed fans off.

I mostly feel sorry for Bloodstained and Yooka Laylee. They will probably have a lot more attention now.

• I've played a few levels so far, and aside from the obvious artistic issues, my main problem is the level design itself. In many cases, I feel like it's not suited to the style of gameplay, and full of cheap, badly-signposted traps and hazards. The kind that makes a game go from hard (à la Dark Souls) to simply frustrating.

Honestly, if this game had just come out without all the buzz around it, nobody would have looked at it twice, it's unremarkable in every way. I regret backing it on Kickstarter. But some good could still come out of this: now that Capcom have seen the enthusiasm behind this game, they could decide to come back and reclaim the vacant Mega Man throne!

• This is a rare instance where the overwhelming majority of people look at this game with a resounding "meh". Usually people have to love or hate something. With this game most people seem to have settled on it just being mediocre.

• The gameplay itself feels good. I like the combo-dash system. Everything else about the game feels cheap/mediocre. If you're a die hard MegaMan fan I can understand feeling a disappointing sting. If you're not a fan of those kinds of actions games it's not worth it either. I personally feel like I got what I paid for. The platinum trophy is far easier to get than the MegaMan legacy collection as well.

• It's a little hard for me to "feel bad" for this game, considering how they handled their Kickstarter campaign and just the general lack of transparency the game had for a long time. Multiple delays, completely changing the style of the game, and getting other companies to back you (who then make comments on trailers about anime fans crying on prom night) just leaves a sour taste in my mouth - and apparently everyone else's. Couple that with the fact they heavily rode on the idea that the man behind Mega Man was bringing a new game out, and you as a company are setting expectations high when you know full well you don't have a great product.

Jim Sterling did an excellent take on it here.

It just really highlights how honesty should be top priority for any developer nowadays and if you lack that, you'll fail - this isn't always the case but it is happening more and more often. I don't take pleasure in any game failing but something like this does send a message out to developers.

• My only feeling about it is sad. It makes me sad to think that this is how Inafune pictures the successor to MegaMan. I just hope he didn't have to kill his baby to make something more profitable.

• Global Moderator

As others have said the dash+combo mechanic is cool, but everything else is just bleh.

God if a sequel ever gets made I hope they either get the best members of inticreates to do it (azure striker gunvolt is great);or partner with lab zero of skullgirls fame to get that 2D action where it needs to be

• Global Moderator

@Inustar said in Mighty No. 9:

I don't think that this is a kickstarter problem, we have had great games come out from there. This one though was a perfect storm. Megaman fans had waited so long, and here was the creator of the games promising a return to that style game. And it didn't live up to Megaman. And they had technical issues with launch. Not to mention bad translations of comments that pissed fans off.

I mostly feel sorry for Bloodstained and Yooka Laylee. They will probably have a lot more attention now.

Funny story about bloodstained... inticreates is working on that too.