The Lego City: Undercover cartridge for Nintendo Switch requires 13GB download

• http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city-undercovers-packaging-mentions-needing-up-to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

Nintendo Switch cartridges can come in varying sizes to accommodate the game size. However, it seems WB Games has reportedly gone with the cheaper smaller cartridges to save on costs. Thus, the user will have to download the rest of the game, which is 13GB.

Nintendo could have a difficult decision to make here. Do you potentially scare away publishers by forcing them to use larger and more expensive cartridges, or do you put it on the customer to pick up a SD Card and potentially damage your systems reputation?

As for how you prevent that from happening, Nintendo could enforce a maximum download size for the first week of launch. I could see this becoming ugly fast.

• wouldn't the difference of the cost of the carts be pennies on the dollar ?

• Just saw that too.

Looks like it'll be up to each publisher: either take the hit and use a more expensive cartridge (Square Enix is using a 32GB cartridge for Dragon Quest Heroes), or cheap out and let the consumer deal with downloads.

• @FF7Cloud I don't know what the price difference would be for manufacturers, but the price difference at retail for 16 to 32 GB sd cards is of more than 5$, so assuming it could be a 2$ difference per unit for a manufacturer, and assuming they would be making hundreds of thousands of these the production cost difference could be of millions.

A fair ammount of speculation there, but the point remains that the difference may not be insignificant.

That was honestly one of the main concerns I had and still have for the Switch, since the price of these SD cards is not that low, and I've heard their life span is in average not great.

• That's really shitty. They probably figure they can get away with it since it's a port. I don't see them going cheap on a new game's release.

• Oh boy it's the N64 all over again.

alt text

• Here's an update from eurogamer.

UPDATE 2.30pm: Lego City Undercover publisher Warner Bros. has provided us with this short statement on the game's cartridge version, which suggests you will be able to play without downloading anything.

"Players who purchase Lego City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play," a company spokesperson told us.

We're still no clearer why the game's box states it requires an internet connection, or 13GB of storage, but the suggestion here perhaps is that at least some of the game is playable without downloading.

We've contacted Warner Bros. again for further clarification.

• Warner Bros have now released a more detailed statement:

The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of LEGO City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience. An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch.

That's more like it!

• Much ado about nothing then

• #fakenews

• You already scared off most devs when you had your internal memory set to 32 gigs and your cartridges have less than 50 gigs.
    I'm still glad I got my switch but it still pisses me off that, with the good idea of the switch, Nintendo has yet again made a stupid decision that could bite them in the ass a couple months later.

• @siegeh what's that

• @siegeh You should read the update. It was a misprint on the game cases.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.