Trailers that lied

• Dark Souls 2 is the one that comes to mind the most.

The environments looked considerably better in the trailers, especially the lighting, and torches were supposed to be an important gameplay mechanic in consequence, but instead we were left with the grey, dull mess that is DS2. A real shame.

• Global Moderator

I'm surprised Dead Island wasn't one of the first ones mentioned. For me, when you get a CGI trailer, it is there to set the tone and hint at the type of game and gameplay in the final product until we do get a proper gameplay trailer.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the tone of the Dead Island trailer is completely different to the final game. You had this emotional gritty and dark trailer. In the end, not even taking into account it's not a good game, you have this silly co op game with outrageous weapon building. It just doesn't fit at all. Such a weird way to sell it.

• @tokeeffe9 Which is why the marketing department behind Dead Island will always be able to find work. That silly trailer sold the game.

• Metal Gear Solid 2... Even though that was done on purpose, as we all know. The game is a masterpiece, but after that, nobody could trust Kojima (or Trolljima, as people like to call him) blindly again. For a good reason.

• Killlzone is known for having gameplay trailers that is fake gameplay. None of it is in the game.

• @jipostus That's a great example. Even down to replacing Raiden's model with Snake in the trailers shown.

• Every single Fable.

• I'm not sure it's really a trailer per se but the Oblivion 2005 e3 Radiant AI demonstration fills me with anger as the final game has none of it especially the last half of this video
    Oblivion Radiant AI 2005 E3

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Trailers that lied:

Every single Fable.

Now now, Peter Molyneux would never lie to anyone, about any game. He's way above that.

By the way, don't forget to buy Godus, the game that literally turns you into GOD, something never done before, and that will never be replicated ever again!

• @Vexchaneu NPCs actually still have schedules with basic goals they have to accomplish every so often (the thing about NPCs trying to acquire food in several different manners is true for instance). The more intricate elements of radiant AI were removed because they caused too much chaos, if I recall correctly. For instance, skooma-addicted characters had the hidden goal to acquire skooma at any cost, which resulted in addicts constantly trying to murder other characters holding skooma in their inventories, they would then get flagged for murder or assault, and get royally fucked by the throngs of murderous Imperial Guards dispensing lethal justice to the poor addicts. That resulted in the deaths of several potentially quest-essential NPCs.

Still, I agree with you that Bethesda usually uses inflated claims to sell their games. Whether they lie on purpose or simply out of being overly ambitious is not sure though.