"Bad" Games that You Love

• Global Moderator

@Sheria said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

I think it's all to easy to label something "bad". I've been thinking about an answer for a few minutes, but couldn't think of anything. I've played some true shockers in my time, ones truly worthy of being called bad, I don't like any of them though. While they have a reputation, the likes of Nier, Alpha Protocol. Deadly Premonition etc aren't even close to bad.

I know what you're asking for, and as easy as it would be for me to just say something like...oh I don't know, Lair? (which yes, I enjoyed), I just don't want to reinforce a reputation that I already feel is inaccurate.

With specific regard to deadly premoniton, I think you may be forgetting the some of the poor level design that starts to happen once they introduce the upside-down enemies after the gallery level. I can remember long corridors where they literally make you fight something like almost 6 in a row across multiple levels. You're right that functionally DP has no horrifying glitches or bad mechanics per se, but there were some poor level design choices, if you ask me.

Also regarding lair, did you pay the for the $8 dollar controller patch-dlc or just played it after the multiple free patches?

• @Ochi said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

@Sheria said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

I think it's all to easy to label something "bad". I've been thinking about an answer for a few minutes, but couldn't think of anything. I've played some true shockers in my time, ones truly worthy of being called bad, I don't like any of them though. While they have a reputation, the likes of Nier, Alpha Protocol. Deadly Premonition etc aren't even close to bad.

I know what you're asking for, and as easy as it would be for me to just say something like...oh I don't know, Lair? (which yes, I enjoyed), I just don't want to reinforce a reputation that I already feel is inaccurate.

With specific regard to deadly premoniton, I think you may be forgetting the some of the poor level design that starts to happen once they introduce the upside-down enemies after the gallery level. I can remember long corridors where they literally make you fight something like almost 6 in a row across multiple levels. You're right that functionally DP has no horrifying glitches or bad mechanics per se, but there were some poor level design choices, if you ask me.

Also regarding lair, did you pay the for the $8 dollar controller patch-dlc or just played it after the multiple free patches?

I played Lair after, admittedly. What I was trying to get across more though was how easily I see games build a certain reputation. I've noticed after seeing many a thread like this, many people will shout out the likes of Lair, Too Human, Duke Nukem Forever etc, without ever actually having tried them for themselves. That reputation is almost always exaggerated too. Mighty No. 9 is a fine example of a game that will unfortunately end up as a victim of this in years to come, it's already got a huge stigma attached to it.

As for Deadly Premonition, I can point out other issues with the game too, I could do that with just about any game though. I didn't say it was perfect, it's just a game that has been hammered so much with the "so bad that it is good" tagline and featured in so many lists now that I feel its reputation as a truly bad game has become highly exaggerated.

There's SOOO many games that fall into that "alright", 7 or 8/10 category, that I just don't feel like singling one out personally.

• I legit feel that DmC Devil May Cry is better than DMC 1, 2, and non SE 4.

• Shellshock 2 is probably one of the most objectively awful games you can play but I have to say that having a few drinks with my friends and picking away at this awful game brought nothing but fun. We knew it was apparently one of the worst games made but it didn't stop us. The plot is beyond absurd where, among other things, I believe you have sex with the ghost of a super underdeveloped character , you watch a pig explode on a mine, you fight a bullet sponge boss in a dark cabin where you shoot this boss so many times that you actually think the game may be glitched until he finally dies at around 8 minutes later. Too many AI problems to recall but my favourite thing is when soldiers jump out of nowhere and attack you and you have to shake the sixaxis so vigorously that you essentially MUST grip it in the middle and just pump your arm. Other side you'll die.

This all sounds terrible (and it is) but it's so bad it's funny.

• @El-Shmiablo said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

I legit feel that DmC Devil May Cry is better than DMC 1, 2, and non SE 4.

I'm glad someone else feels this way. New Dante is a tool but old Dante was even worse.

• @El-Shmiablo said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

I legit feel that DmC Devil May Cry is better than DMC 1, 2, and non SE 4.

I wouldn't go that far (except when comparing it to 2, which was indeed mediocre) but I would agree that DmC was pretty good.

• DMC was fantastic in my opinion. The level design was better than anything in the original series. The combat was great too. I'd still rather play Devil May Cry 3 overall but I think the negativity surrounding the game is unfounded. It's a reboot so of course the mechanics aren't going to be exactly like past games. I do understand that people might feel upset that they could have gotten a "real" Devil May Cry game in place of the reboot. But Capcom obviously wasn't going to do that at the time and I think it's unfair to punish Ninja Theory for that.

• @Light said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

DMC was fantastic in my opinion. The level design was better than anything in the original series. The combat was great too. I'd still rather play Devil May Cry 3 overall but I think the negativity surrounding the game is unfounded. It's a reboot so of course the mechanics aren't going to be exactly like past games. I do understand that people might feel upset that they could have gotten a "real" Devil May Cry game in place of the reboot. But Capcom obviously wasn't going to do that at the time and I think it's unfair to punish Ninja Theory for that.

DMC (Reboot) WAS a good game, but it does not hold a candle to the original DMC games. DMC2 was bad, and I didn't like it much.

I am shaking my head in disbelief at people saying DMC: Devil May Cry > DMC/DMC3. Just. No. However, like I said, DMC: Devil May Cry wasn't all that bad, like people say it is.

• This is my favourite "Bad" game.

alt text

This game is seriously good, even if you hate rap and 50 cent.

50 Cent Blood on the Sand is better than Gears of War in the moment to moment action. You're encouraged to move out of cover, shoot people in the face to keep your combo meter high, and melee is way better.

When you "chainsaw" an enemy in Gears, you just gently place your chainsaw on them. You don't even rip through their body. It's so lame.
    In 50 Cent Blood on the Sand, you take out a knife, shank them a few times, and give them a body slam. That is way cooler than that lame chainsaw thing.

If you do like 50 cent or like rap music, the music goes so well with what's going on. 50 Cent would also taunt his enemies in a funny way, and he would banter with his G-Crew member. It's absolutely hilarious where Gears characters are boring as a rock.

This game may not be as polished as Gears in its entirety, but the action moments are far more fun.

I heard about this in an episode of 1up Yours where Garnett Lee gave this game a C, but ultimately said it's the best and dumbest fun game he's played.

• Banned

The controls for Mega Man Legends I and II are a tad bit out of date, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

• Drakengard
    this game is dull and plays like a slow musou, you get dropped on huge maps and start chopping dozens of waves of enemies till you reach your objective. but nobody plays drakengard for the gameplay, you play to see if things can go worse for your character and the world, and every chapter delivers. the main character doesn't redeem himself at all and get crazier and crazier, along with the world
    but i like it that way
    alt text

Analysys of the game
    Youtube Video

• Terminator 3: The Redemption was a game that got decent reviews. But gameplay and design wise, it was nothing short of amazing. Storyline was probabaly better than the movie.

I'm also a big fan of FF13.

• I enjoyed completing every mission and challenge requirement in Nuts & Bolts, it is not really a super great game, but I learned to like it.

Also, this:
    @El-Shmiablo said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

I loved every second I played of Final Fantasy XIII.

Maybe not "loved", but still had fun

• Although debatable by the source of the games title, I'd say my submission is fairly original. Not too many critics considered this game a momentous accomplishment. However, the original music in combination with the futuristic aesthetic both posses so much charm. GTA 2 is kinda clunky, not technologically congruent with the cinematic standards of 2016, and especially long winded...however, it was my first GTA and still makes me joyful when I stream and listen to all of the in house produced music.
    GTA 2

• Final Fantasy XIII. I really enjoyed the combat in the game so much. Everything else was definitely lackluster, but for some odd reason I enjoyed the combat and that helped me actually stick with it.

• I think that Fable 2 is absolutely terrible game, bad gameplay, terrible story, worse characters, stupid mechanics.

And it is also one of the games that I've had the most fun with, so even though it wasn't what I expected I enjoyed my time with it a lot, I find it hard to believe that they actually found a way to make everything worse in Fable 3.

• What if Sega ripped off the concept of Mario Party for a Sonic game? Oh, and let's throw in a Battle style card game where you fight monsters to make it it's own thing. Welcome to
    Sonic Shuffle

• alt text

I love the hell out of this game and always will!

• @Stephleref said in "Bad" Games that You Love:

alt text

I love the hell out of this game and always will!

I only understood the hatred after playing other FF games. Before this one, I had only played Final Fantasy on the NES.

However, the hatred is unjustified! It's fun! Simple, sure it's kind of easy, but fun!

• Sad to say but, Chaos Legion for PS2. I love that overly grindy, weird story having game.
    alt text