Scorpio First Look Coming Thursday

• @El-Shmiablo yeah I understand that much when it comes to consoles. Actually I'd argue that PS4 and xbone run at low to mid settings lol. My 660ti looks better then my ps4.

So running at mid quality and the ability to optimize console architecture for performance is what is probably allowing them to achieve this? Still sounds a bit too good to be true. But it sounds awesome if all games moving forward achieve this.

• Banned

@CGamor7 I hiiiighly doubt all games (save first party, which is, like 3 games every two years) will operate at 60 frames unless MS start forcing strict certifications, in which case developers will run away from Xbox even faster than they already are.

• This post is deleted!

• To catch up, here are more info about Scorpio

@Richard Leadbetter said in We watched a Scorpio console get put together:

The SoC (system on chip) is the brains of the Scorpio console, but in isolation it's little more than an 'inanimate object', as Del Castillo calls it. The heart of the system is the motherboard, the next component brought out from under the table. It's small, very small. Consoles have gradually become more integrated over time - a function of multiple processors all integrating into a single SoC. The motherboard reduces in size as a result, but at this point I do start to wonder about the form factor of the final machine and just how compact the production unit is.

In order to maintain power efficiency, the CPU, GPU and memory components can run at different speeds, according to system requirements.

"The number of power states we have in the SoC - the Scorpio Engine itself - is eight CPU states, five GPU states, three for the memory," Del Castillo reveals. "Naturally all of those will be maxed out if you're playing a high performance game, but for other modes of operation you want to minimise the amount of power the system is consuming. It's better for the environment when you use less electricity to power the box and it minimises the demands on the thermal system, and you can run the fans as slow as possible... when you're watching a movie [or] watching television through your HDMI, or when you're doing something that doesn't require all of the performance. You can scale all of that back and make the system much more efficient that way."

"Between trying to target a compact design, and also strike overall efficiency and minimise power use, we do a lot of things that are special," Del Castillo continues. "One of the things we do is we basically fine-tune the voltages for each of the chips and optimise them so the chips are getting exactly what they need to get the job done."

As we've mentioned previously, this is a technique that hasn't been deployed on a console before - to the best of our knowledge, at least. It's called the 'Hovis method', named after the Microsoft engineer who devised the concept.

"True 4K gaming was going to require a lot more data in the form of higher definition textures. One of the things we really worked for was to improve the performance of our mass storage system," he says, slotting the HDD into place - but there's something different here. The drive itself sits upon a more elaborate assembly than anything I've seen in a console before.
    "Its purpose in life is to keep that cable pressed down and out of the way, because otherwise it might arc up and touch the chassis above it, again transferring vibration [to reduce vibration on the HDD and improve the data transmission]," he says. "These are all things we learned from building consoles for as long as we have. It's that attention to all these engineering details that makes sure that we get all the performance out of the components that we use and that the customer gets the best experience possible."

"We're really looking for the optimum solutions," Del Castillo confirms. "So one of the things that we've done is gone to a vapour chamber solution for our heat sink. Vapour chambers, basically it's a copper vessel that forms the base of the heat sink inside of which is deionised water under vacuum. Vacuum helps the boiling point of that water to be lower."

The cooling assembly is impressive - the heat sink has a low profile, and the entire base plate is constructed from copper. It covers a good proportion of the motherboard's right side, sitting atop the Scorpio Engine, the VRMs and the clamshell arrangement of GDDR5. The standard axial fan solution found in prior Xbox hardware wouldn't cut the mustard here, so Microsoft has paired the vapour chamber heat sink with a blower-style centrifugal fan, which Leo brings out and places on top of the heat sink.

Ducts on the cooling shroud cover the vapour chamber heatsink, but there's also another duct for the next component that slots into place - the internal power supply. This became a standard on Xbox One S and the positive reception from consumers ensured that it carried over to Scorpio. Del Castillo says that the new 245W unit is the most efficient power supply used by an Xbox console to date.

It's always interesting to see console teardowns once the likes of iFixit get hold of final retail consoles - but this presentation is unique in that I actually got to see the reverse: the unit was put together right in front of me with an outline of the engineering processes involved in the design. What's fascinating here is that while the technologies in play are state-of-the-art, there is still a simple elegance in the modularity of the design - and it's here where you can see similarities with prior Xbox designs.

The question of how Microsoft has managed to extract desktop GPU-like clock-speeds from a console SoC, and by extension, how the Xbox team has delivered six teraflops of GPU power, is now answered. The end result is a 43 per cent increase in raw compute compared to PS4 Pro, with a processor we estimate as being 12 to 16 per cent larger in terms of die area.

alt text

It's going to be a beautiful monster

Here is another article, I will read later it with calm and put the highlights here.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

• Mod Note: Just a small thing but in future can we reduce the number of quotes to maybe 2-3 per article. I know we all just want the information but DF put a lot of work into this so make sure to support them by checking out the article if you're interested in it to get more of this kind of content.

• @tokeeffe9 Sure, I will, although I haven't quote even 1/4 of the article. Those are very lenghty.

• @Art its like a motivational quote, instead of having a sunset with "follow your dream".
    a Kitty poster would have been better though
    alt text

• This is interesting and shot
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15289986/xbox-scorpio-specs-features

@Ben Kuchera said in Microsoft has made Xbox Scorpio exactly what it needs to be: simple:

The good news is that Microsoft has learned, and the new statement — Scorpio is massively powerful and nothing will match its performance for a long time — feels much better. It feels simple, in a good way.

That's ineresting. There wasn't a direct communication from MS to consumers, they actually used a respected media to let enthusiasts know the console and, by satifying enthusiasts, MS has achieved a good impression on the gaming sphere, thus delivering a simple message to non-enthusiasts gamers. It would have been entirelly different if they would have made an event every listener would have been suspicious.

• Banned

Are they legit talking up fan speeds and low power states like it is fancy new technology?

I know they want to make people think this thing is the bee's knees, but come on.

• I think it's better to go for this approach instead of having it in a conference like e3 or even its own thing like Sony.

• @El-Shmiablo they took a deep look at how a scorpio is assembled and they are describing it. Some thing hasn't been applied in a console before. The context of the article is more about the attention to details in socrpio's development, not a MS sponsored Advertorial.

• A video of the Scorpio Devkit

• Bottom line: if it doesn't have the games, power doesn't matter. The N64 made the leap to 3D, but it also had the software to give it a backbone. MS need to smash this E3 with exclusive* reasons why XB1 / Scorpio are the places to play**.

*with PC, of course.
    **I feel like I might have just stolen an old / current Sony tagline?

SIDE NOTE: I discussed this in the most recent episode of our podcast - https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/4160/a-podcast-ing-adventure

• These are, most likely, the VR headsets compatible with Scorpio
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/05/11/windows-mixed-reality-dev-kits-available-pre-order/#dewG13tlOFPvWE58.97

Acer - $400 ($300 dev kit)
    alt text
    it uses built-in cameras to track users’ motions, instead of external sensors, and is tethered to a Windows 10 PC

Minimum Specs
    CPU: Intel Mobile Core i5 (e.g. 7200U) dual-core with hyperthreading equivalent.
    GPU: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 (GT2) equivalent or greater DX12 API capable GPU.
    RAM: 8GB+ dual channel required for integrated graphics.
    HDMI: HDMI 1.4 with 2880x1440 at 60Hz. HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.3+ with 2880x1440 at 90Hz.
    Hard disk drive (HDD): 100GB+, solid state drive (SSD) [preferred] / HDD
    USB: USB 3.0 Type-A or USB 3.1 Type-C Port with DisplayPort Alternate Mode
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 for accessories

Dev kit specs
    Two high-resolution liquid crystal displays at 1440 x 1440
    2.89” diagonal display size (x2)
    Front hinged display
    95 degrees horizontal field of view
    Display refresh rate up to 90 Hz (native)
    Built-in audio out and microphone support through 3.5mm jack
    Single cable with HDMI 2.0 (display) and USB 3.0 (data) for connectivity
    Inside-out tracking
    4.0 meter cable

HP - no retail price yet but the development kit costs $350
    alt text

Specs
    Two high-resolution liquid crystal displays at 1440 x 1440
    2.89” diagonal display size (x2)
    Front hinged display
    Double padded headband and easy adjustment knob for all day comfort
    95 degrees horizontal field of view
    Display refresh rate up to 90 Hz (native)
    Built-in audio out and microphone support through 3.5mm jack
    Single cable with HDMI 2.0 (display) and USB 3.0 (data) for connectivity
    4.0m/0.6m removable cable
    Inside-out tracking

• @Klinjon I will be shocked if Microsoft shows off any heavy hitter new exclusive games that aren't Gears, Forza or Halo. I would assume maybe one would be shown.

Then they will cancel it, jk lol.

• @LordBaztion Didn't Microsoft say VR wasn't a focus? Or have they said these will be compatible with their system?

• @CGamor7 those devices are primary made to work with Windows 10. Their design (I'm talking more about the motion controllers) is more aimed to productivity rather than gaming. At the end of the conference about Mixed Reality (that's their name for AR -hololens- and VR) they said more about VR at E3, so, it's very likely they will continue their presentation with Scorpio (maybe they will be at the PC conference too). Besides, the Scorpio is above the minimum specs of the Acer headset, so it seems very likely that those will be on Scorpio.

• @LordBaztion Interesting, would make sense.

• Here some impressions from Tom Warren about Acer's Mixed Reality Headset
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15627374/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-hands-on

The demo experience I tested was a weather map that let you analyze data on wind direction and precipitation. It was fairly basic, but interactive. I could walk around and briefly test the six degrees of freedom which seemed to work well with the sensors built into the device. I used an Xbox One controller to drop pins and interact with the map, but Microsoft is also releasing motion controllers with a round trackpad, analog stick, and menu button.

I was most surprised by the actual experience of using this Mixed Reality headset. I was expecting a HoloLens setup, but it’s literally just virtual reality.

• @CGamor7 haha well i'm hoping for a Crackdown 3 blowout, a Sea of Thieves release date, and something genuinely exclusive that makes me go "well I have to see how that runs on Scorpio!" I really feel like they're fighting an uphill battle...