The Movie Bracket! - Winner announced!

• High and Low and Escape from New York are my babies. I don't think I could vote on this matchup unless it was to force a tie. :p

Brazil over Magnolia, no contest. Magnolia is a fine film with an excellent soundtrack, but it hasn't got the nuance or charm or world building of Brazil.

I think I'm also going to go with X-Men First Class It's a fun film that was more successful in re-booting the dead in the water X-Men franchise than I'd had any hope for. They managed to tie together the modern day and "First Class" franchises relatively seamlessly, and gave important and flawlessly realized context between Xavier and Magneto. eXistenZ is a movie that resides firmly (to me) in the first major lull period of Cronenberg's work sandwiched between Crash and A History of Violence where both eX and Spider were kind of just dull movies that were trying to capitalize on the style, but without the cutting, visceral technological or psychological commentary of a Videodrome, The Fly, or Dead Zone. I feel like he underwent a transformation where he kind of realized that the specific kind of satires he'd been making had kind of passed him by at this point. When he made eXistenZ and Spider instead of feeling fresh and relevant, they felt like your dad lecturing you as a teenager on the hazards of the internet, or nagging you about going to an out of state college in a big city. One of Cronenberg's greatest feats was reinventing his own style with A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, but I'm not judging Cronenberg's oeuvre - but specifically eXistenZ, which is a film I found lacking.

Since Eastwood was knocked out and we're sharing our dead comrade's lists here was his:

Unforgiven
    High Plains Drifter
    Gran Torino
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    A Perfect World

I could have gone a bit weirder, I almost put The Eiger Sanction first on the list, followed up by Honkeytonk Man, because though flawed and in the case of The Eiger Sanction, pretty racist and sexist in many ways - it's an interesting counterpoint to early Bond films which you don't necessarily associate with Eastwood. And it's not very often you see an assassin movie set in and around the lifestyle of mountain climbing. Might have been fun.

Honkeytonk Man is just a good underrated musical roadtrip movie, and I feel like it's super underrated, even within the conversation of Eastwood directed titles. It ultimately didn't make it because I really wanted to get Josey Wales and A Perfect World in there, but it's worth a mention.

• So High and Low is my favorite Kurosawa film, it's that one. As much as I love Kurosawa's work, it's the one that has a pretty unmovable spot as a real favorite. It's a smart, relentlessly tense film with excellent performances. Kurosawa's direction is so on-point too. Blocking densely filled rooms of characters is so fucking hard, and it's just pitch-perfect use of physical direction. Endlessly dramatic, compelling craft.

Carpenter is a director I carry in higher esteem than Kurosawa personally, and yet Escape From New York rests outside of my 10 favorites from Carp. I actually prefer L.A., as I think it's much more aware of how goofy it is, and I think it has more to say about its titular city. I dig the punk atmosphere and how surprisingly quiet NY is, but I have to give it to High and Low

I really like Magnolia. It was a pretty formative high-school film for me. It's almost an embarrassing film to have made, a sprawling, practically presumptuous high-stakes melodrama stripping all it's characters to absurd catharsis. And it's filled with performances that are up to the task, and a directorial panache that's super admirable. It's silly, but I still like this one a lot.

Brazil is just off-the-wall. Throw everything we can at the wall baby, it'll stick, and it'll be glorious. Brazil's universe is in this constant stage of regurgitation, its people are all delusional and it looks like someone exploded the first half of the 20th century and photographed right as everything was suspended in the air. It's awesome. Brazil gets my vote.

So I saw X-Men First Class and I thought it was one of the better Xmans. I don't know how much that says, because I think most of the Xmons are pretty bad, but I remember Fassbender being neat and there being a surprising focus on costuming and production design which was refreshing. It's still got your super dupers, but they've got old hairdos and gaudy, throwback colors. I give it 3 exmens out of 5.

eXistenZ is totally not a great Cronenberg. It has about two or three sequences that are drop-dead great, but I don't think Cronenberg had much to say about virtual reality or gaming---he almost avoids those as thematic strands holding the film together which only allows it to play as a series of odd sequences.

So I think both films are 'alright', but eXistenZ has mechanic Dafoe and fishgun, so I'm voting for it. It's just more up my alley.

It's a bit weird saying sexiest Wong Kar-Wai film, since they're all sexy with their music-led editing, their luscious photography, their attractive people falling in love for a minute and spending the rest of their time tearing themselves up about it. Despite that Days of Being Wild is really sexy. It has a violence, a pent-up, frustrated quality that really bewitched me. I called it my favorite from Wong for a while, but then I watched it again and found it scattered. The great sequences were still there, but they didn't hold together as well. I didn't buy the relationships. It's still damn good, but I think it diminishes a bit after its emergent pleasures have already been experienced once.

I didn't like Lost Highway the first time I saw it. I mean I was riveted by the first section, I mean how fucking creepy can you get? Its use of low-fi footage, effectively repurposing the home video format into something dark and invasive. Then that second half hit and I wasn't just as engaged. It developed a little predictably and it didn't get at my insides as much.

Then I caught the last two thirds late at night on TV a year or so ago and I was glued to the screen. Every shot and edit was like a punch to the chest. It was a real experience and it made me reconsider how I felt about it.

Ask me tomorrow and I might vote the other way, but recency bias, baby. Lost Highway.

edit: I haaaaaate The Eiger Sanction hahaha. Agreed that Honkytonk is great, though. Eastwood has a lot of stuff that flew under the radar!

• Unlike @alexwhiteplays, I figured it would mostly be the players voting and not the community as a whole. Even I have to admit, I haven't voted as much as I would have liked and this has shown how much film I need to catch up on!

To tip my hat with my "order", I mostly tried to place my personal favorites first (as they don't ever seem to match up with popular/critical opinion) and then slowly ramp up to the darlings for each director. The hope was that even if a director I loved got knocked out early, my favorite from them still got some views. So here's my knocked out director's list!

Darren Aronofsky
    1st round - Pi
    2nd round - The Fountain
    3rd round - The Wrestler
    4th round - Black Swan
    Finals - Requiem for a Dream

Wes Anderson
    1st round - Moonrise Kingdom
    2nd round - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    3rd round - The Royal Tennebaums
    4th round - Rushmore
    Finals - The Grand Budapest Hotel

You all are monsters, I just want to remind you of that.

Except not really.

• I can't believe Hitchcock is out.. that's surprising, though Jaws is some stiff competition. I'm dreading the Coen/Spielberg match up.

I'm glad people are posting their lists.. I want to see those films that I haven't yet. Which reminds me, I never posted my John Huston picks so here they are

The Maltese Falcon
    The Asphalt Jungle
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    The African Queen
    The Man Who Would be King

I'm out of town for the weekend but I should be able to see most of these and get my votes in this week!

• @alexwhiteplays said in The Movie Bracket! Round 2, H2 Voting!:

(Though I don't get the North by Northwest hate! It's one of my favorite Hitchcock films because of its mix of the tense and the wildly improbable

WAY too much of the latter, not nearly enough of the former.

@alexwhiteplays said in The Movie Bracket! Round 2, H2 Voting!:

Hitchcock:
    The 39 Steps
    North by Northwest
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    Psycho

Dang. On a purely technical level, Rear Window is a work of genius. Hitchcock might still be in if it had come a spot earlier.

@Faaip said in The Movie Bracket! Round 2, H2 Voting!:

The Maltese Falcon
    The Asphalt Jungle
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    The African Queen
    The Man Who Would be King

Phew...I'm kind of glad Huston didn't get to round two. The Asphalt Jungle is available from Criterion, and when something has a Criterion version, I feel compelled to get it over a cheaper version, ESPECIALLY when it's a noir. Since the local rental joint doesn't have it, I could've been out about $35 CAD up front...money is tight, lately.

Back to current events, this may be a problematic round for me. I've seen High and Low and Brazil, and they're both excellent, but I have zero interest in seeing either Escape or Magnolia. Hopefully, the voting trend continues as it is, especially for Kurosawa...

• @Oscillator Yeah it might be for the best that Huston was voted out.. I didn't realize most of my picks are actually a bit hard to find without buying online or something.

• David Lynch getting some love in this week's Frame Trap!

Hoping to knock out Days of Being Wild and Brazil in the next few days so I can get down on some voting.

• Hm, only two voters so far. Ain't anyone else in the mood? :/

• Grad school's picking up the pace but I plan to vote by the end of the weekend! This bracket is honestly so big that it's hard to remember to keep going, especially with so few players. If we do something in the future that's like this (maybe with musicians or something) we should consider starting with a smaller selection to speed up the process a little and hopefully keep people more engaged.

• This is bad timing for me as well.. I've been super busy in the evenings this past week and need to watch at least one movie in each match up. I'll try to get some votes up soon!

• Gonna close off Round 2 on Monday, so get your votes in soon! Next round is the quarter-finals, and the last round to feature four or more matchups, so we're on our way down the hill!

• I hope more votes come in, but I like the current leaders in any case. The Kurosawa-Gilliam matchup is going to be intense...

• Alright, as previously expressed, I want to end this round and move on, but @Faaip and @alexwhiteplays both expressed interest in voting this round. I still want to cut it off ASAP, but if either of you have matchups that you are able to vote on, I'd like to see them if possible. If you two can't, no big deal, we'll just move on with the vote totals we have.

Thanks!

• @Ringedwithtile I'm sorry, I just really haven't had a chance to see anything yet. Feel free to move without me for this round to speed things a long.

I should be able to vote next round!

Though if you want to count it, I'd vote Brazil over Magnolia I think.. just I haven't seen Magnolia in a very long time and don't remember it well. Brazil is one of my favorites and I've seen it quite a few times.. I even wrote a paper about it for a film class hehe

I couldn't find High and Low anywhere unfortunately.. I really wanted to see that one so I guess it'll have to go on my list for the future

• @Faaip Thanks for checking in!

Also, yes, for sure check out High and Low if you get the shot! That is a hell of a film.

• You can rent it from Amazon for like $4

• H&L is a well known Kurosawa. Surprised you couldn't locate it.

• I was eyeing the Criterion version at the store the other day.. Its a little out of my price range right now, but I'll save my $4 for that :D

• If you are an American and don't mind streaming, it's on Filmstruck too. Actually there's a lot of good stuff on there provided you enjoy older/non-American films.

So I've moved on the matchups that have a leader, which leaves us with the Vaughn/Cronenberg showdown; which is currently tied. If someone's able to break that, that would be super duper. :)

• @Ringedwithtile said in The Movie Bracket! Round 2, H2 Voting!:

If you are an American and don't mind streaming, it's on Filmstruck too. Actually there's a lot of good stuff on there provided you enjoy older/non-American films.

I'd love to see that service in Canada... :(