The Movie Bracket! - Winner announced!

• @naltmank Rope is definitely the main Hitchcock film I'm interested in. I get the feeling I'll have a chance very soon to see more of his work.

• @naltmank Oh, when I said the ending I meant the last shot. Just that part.

• @Ringedwithtile that's fair. I guess it would be harder to regulate, but I was thinking just an honor code google survey, and then we could still post our reasons for voting on the thread. I understand why you'd want to avoid doing that, though.

• Ok! So I feel like we're just about done with this round. I've advanced 3 of the directors. Miyazaki and The Coen Brothers moved on unanimously. Hitchcock moved on with two votes over Wes Anderson.

Right now, we do have a tie. Catch Me if You Can and Stagecoach are in a stand-off. If someone who has not voted on the matchup could, that would be great!

If no one does in two days or so, I'll look back at the writing accompanying the votes that are already cast, and see which film is more favored by the people who didn't vote for it. I'd rather not do that, but I'd also like to keep this deal going.

• @Ringedwithtile I've just seen Catch Me If You Can, I'm going to watch Stagecoach by Friday and I'll vote after that!

• Oof. This one was a difficult one and I felt even more pressure knowing that my vote would decide between these two, but ultimately I vote for Catch Me If You Can. At first, it would have been easy for me to make this decision simply because I tend to not like Westerns. Since I knew my vote would be the one to break the time, though, I tried to give both a fair shake. Stagecoach has some great acting from John Wayne, one of the most iconic actors in film history, and the way it manipulates how much space the characters and plot occupy is masterfully done. There's a constant sense of an Out There that can be hard to capture in a film. Catch Me If You Can, though, has both a compelling story and great acting that communicates a certain sense of both pursuit and desperation. The believability of DiCaprio's character is what sells the whole movie, and his complex motivations combined with his wit and intelligence pull together to create someone the audience feels good rooting for. Watching Frank pull off a con is a great case study in tension and release, as the audience is taken on the journey of tension and anticipation to see if he will be caught and then satisfaction when things go well despite all odds. Spielberg has an incomparable eye for raw adventure, and this film is no exception.

• Woo. Spielberg squeaks by, only to face MF Alfred Hitchcock in the 2nd round!

• Spielberg moves on! Spielberg actually has a humorous anecdote about meeting Ford as a young, wannabe filmmaker that's worth seeking out, by the way.

Q2 with an updated bracket will be up later today!

• That was a tough matchup, but I'm glad to see Spielberg move on!

• I hope I get a decent matchup movie w Hitchcock.

• The quarter 2 matchups are up! I'm going to write my votes shortly.

• A Bug's Life vs. Full Metal Jacket... that's gotta be the most tonally different match-up we've had so far.

• Nice! There's a few I'll need to watch before I can vote.. I'm out of town though so it might take a little while

• Drag Me to Hell vs Amarcord

Voting Amarcord. I actually quite like Drag Me to Hell! It felt like a return to old passions for Raimi. It's goofy and full of jump-scares, just a really solid picture of cheap thrills and humor to help cut the tension. It doesn't stick in my mind as well as something like Evil Dead II, but I appreciate it quite a bit.

Amarcord is impeccable in my view. It's a summation of our tendency to romanticize the past, it's a glorious coming of age story about early sexual experiences and the construction of identity, it's an expressionistic view of an isolated Italian town during the rise of fascism, but most of all, it's a story of a community; the anecdotes and experiences that build what a place is. It's beautifully made (with both gorgeous on-location shooting and constructed soundstage sequences that evoke a kind of artificial magic), and it's soulful---personal in ways that I think few films are.

Full Metal Jacket vs A Bug's Life

This is a weird one, but I'm voting Full Metal Jacket. A Bug's Life is good! It's a nice, semi-western that takes more than a little inspiration from genre work in film and novels (enough so that a lot of people consider it a remake of The Seven Samurai) with some good voice work and fun characters. The characters still look fine, but I'd say that the environments have aged a bit. It's a solid early Pixar film, but I can't place it among their best work.

Full Metal Jacket is such a weird, challenging movie. It's one of Kubrick's meanest, coldest films, that tackles the Vietnam conflict in a nearly depoliticized way, instead talking more about the personal mindset required to live a life of violence. Its character work is probably its most valuable asset. It's why this film works, that it's able to depict its cast in such a cold way, and still allow the audience to care about them through very smart, humanizing qualities that sort of shine through all terrible things that are going on. It isn't one of my favorite Kubricks, but it provides a lot more to reckon with than A Bug's Life does.

The Seventh Seal vs Pi

Voting The Seventh Seal. Pi is an odd item for me. It's a film I liked very much in high school. I thought it was clever and disturbing. I liked that it dealt with math. Over time my opinion of it sort of flattened. I saw Eraserhead and Tetsuo the Iron Man, two films that greatly inspired the look of Pi, and I found both of those films more disturbing as character portraits. I still think Pi is valuable. It's an interesting first film, and I like the setting, but it isn't one that I think of with much fondness.

The Seventh Seal isn't one of my favorite Bergman films, but it's still a very successful one. It has this reputation as a veeery serious movie, but I think it's much more playful and humorous than that. It's still a somewhat dour voyage about death and religion, but I think there's some enjoyable absurdity and lighthearted characters that help balance the tone. Of course it looks beautiful, it's well-performed, and it has some really stunning sequences (the lepers!) as well.

Goodfellas vs Strange Days

Going Goodfellas. Strange Days is a very, very unique film that I think doesn't get enough attention. Not just a smartly built film about the future of surveillance and privacy, but a very disturbing film about sexual violence. I don't know how much I enjoyed watching this film, though. It seems like something a different filmmaker might let fly off the rails a bit more, and as much as I love Bigelow, this one feels a little reigned in despite the subject matter.

Goodfellas is straight up one of the most watchable films ever made. On a moment-to-moment basis it's so entirely enjoyable. The camera parades around, good music and compelling narration move it along, and the story unfolds in surprising and humorous ways. It's one of those films that's always on TV, because you can basically start watching at any point and just move right along with it. I don't think it's all that thoughful compared to some of Scorsese's other films, but god damn is it fun.

• Full Metal Jacket vs A Bug's Life
    Full Metal Jacket
    Loved how the Drill Sergeant breaks down the new recruits a great funny scene where the tone of the movie changes. Also I'm more of a Antz guy :P

• @ib0show Woody Allen was born to play an ant!

edit: weird story about Antz. My father worked film promotion when I was a kid, so he'd get a whole lot of branded swag. For the Antz premiere, they gave out gum in little paper packs---2 a piece, like the Chiclets you would get on Halloween. Anyways, there was a whole lot left over from the screening, so we had a kitchen cupboard that was literally full of these little packs of gum. I still remember grabbing fistfuls and bringing them to school. For a couple weeks I was a very popular kid until my classmates started sticking the gum all over the classroom. My teacher got pissed and knew it was me because they knew my dad worked in film promotion and no one else would be supplying the kids with dozens of packs of branded gum. We ended up throwing it all out.

• So, the first Aronofsky film I put in the bracket is the only film of his I haven't seen, nor have I seen The Seventh Seal. I've got Monday and Tuesday off so hopefully I'll be able to knock those both out. If voting is still going on, hopefully I can squeeze in Full Metal Jacket as well. I'd love to vote more but unfortunately, there's just not enough time at the moment. I mean, there is enough time but Persona 5.... Hopefully as the sheer number of movies dwindles down, I'll be able to participate a bit more.

• Again, only one pair that I've seen both of. I suspect that I'll be able to participate more once the really arty directors start to get bumped.

Full Metal Jacket vs. A Bug's Life

A Bug's Life is an ok film. Good characters, good acting, nice settings, decent plot. But of the Pixar films I've seen (most of the "big" ones), it's the one I'm least interested in. The characters somehow look more plasticky than the toys in Toy Story. And the environments feel really cramped. Overall, it feels kind of bland.

FMJ, on the other hand, is, in two different ways, an epic. Epic acting in the first part, and epic staging in the second part. The contrast in tone between the two parts can make it feel like two different movies, but it's all still great filmmaking. What the second part lacks in acting (the main characters rarely give off a sense of being affected by the war, generally treating it like a day job...though maybe that's the whole point...still an odd vibe, though), it far more than makes up for in imagery. Fantastic cinematography and editing. Excellent sound work too. The war scenes really leap off the screen.

So yeah, my vote goes to Full Metal Jacket.

Youtube Video

• @SabotageTheTruth said in The Movie Bracket! Round 1, Q2 Voting!:

So, the first Aronofsky film I put in the bracket is the only film of his I haven't seen

I'm a little bummed that people did this, because I was interested to participate in this, but had too many directors that I had only seen four films from, not the required five, and thus decided to stay out of the whole thing.

• Alright I'll get in one of my votes now while I can.

Full Metal Jacket vs. A Bug's Life

First off, I love Pixar movies.. and although A Bug's Life probably wouldn't make my top 5 at this point, it still holds a special place in my heart because when it came out there were only 2 and I watched it a lot haha. I think in the scheme of Pixar movies its good but not great.. it doesn't quite reach the innovation, story telling, etc of Toy Story or Wall-E for example.

Full Metal Jacket is a film that I really struggle with. The first half is an easy 10/10 for me. The boot camp story arc is fascinating and R. Lee Ermey's performance is needless to say brilliant. Fun fact, he is (I believe) only one of two actors that Kubrick allowed to improvise his lines in order to be authentic. The only other was Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove. Continuing.. personally I think the second half is more problematic and on its own would only be a 7-8/10 war movie. It feels a bit disjointed and drags the film out. I don't like comparing it, but it doesn't pack the punch or have the focus of Kubrick's other (in my opinion superior) war movie... we'll see if it makes the list :D

I still need to give this vote to Full Metal Jacket though. The first half is so strong that it really does out weight the other issues I have with the film. I'll get my other votes in soon!