Kill Your Babies!: The EZA Reviews Edition!

• Oof, this is going to be one of the hardest final rounds for me personally. I love both of these games for such totally different reasons.

• I mean, I'm obviously gonna vote for RE7. Cause seven is one better, innit?

• And we have our final two! So which game is the best to have released since EZA's inception?

Civilization VI
    Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

Click the link, cast your vote and make your opinion known! Come back around 5:30 p.m. EST for the final results!

http://www.strawpoll.me/12726964

@Sheria While your reason for killing Horizon does fall under the "Any" variety, and thus is valid in that sense, unless you are being facetitous, don't you think it's a little... I don't know, crass? Immature maybe?... to say the protagonist is ugly? To say you don't like her design is one thing, but to objectify someone's looks, even in a light-hearted thread such as this, warrants a quick clarification.

• I found that to be a little questionable, myself. Nobody cares that Mario is ugly.
    Then again, Most of these characters arent real, so you could take it as "design criticism" rather than a personal attack, I guess.

I just don't think Aloy's physical appearance or design has any bearing on how awesome her character is. (I also think she's rather pretty)

• I'm not sure I can clarify further really, I think she's really ugly for a female lead. If you google it actually, you'll see that it's actually quite a common discussion, not that it really matters of course.

I'm not overly fussed about being crass over a fictional character. Mind, I don't like anything about the character.

• And that's totally fine. I guess I get tripped over word choice more rather than intent more than anything else. For example, I try to be as clear about any opinion about anything as I can be, because it bothers me immensely when if I use poor choice of words and it strays from what I'm trying to say.

I did read it as design criticism as well and not as a personal attack, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree about her design not being reflective of her character. I enjoyed Aloy greatly over the course of my time with the game.

I don't dispute the commonality the discussion of Aloy's or ANY characters looks are. You are also correct how the discussion of whether Aloy has a good designis irrelevant. I also think its great how Aloy didn't vibe with you.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is word choice matters, and in a community whose cornerstone of Love & Repsect, albeit when discussing fiction, saying anyone and/or anything is "ugly" is a little jarring.

• In no way is Aloy's perceived attractiveness or lack thereof relevant to anything other than objectifying her though.

That's what those "discussions" are generally about. Whether they are "common" or not is besides the point. Again, nobody gives a shit that Mario is ugly. There's not countless posts about it. This is 100% due to people pretending or trying to promote the idea that women have to meet certain standards of beauty and attractiveness in order to have any worth. I'm not saying that's specifically what you're doing - but that's where arguments against how attractive any female character is or is not tend to lead.

• I don't mind if someone want's to say Mario is ugly, I mean he is lol.

Anyway, I voted RE7 as I much prefer it to Civ :)

• @Brannox said in Kill Your Babies!: The EZA Reviews Edition!:

to say the protagonist is ugly?

she is really ugly though lol.

• @Axel said in Kill Your Babies!: The EZA Reviews Edition!:

Dark Souls III
    Ratchet & Clank
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    DOOM
    The Banner Saga 2
    Valkyria Chronicles: Remastered
    Zero Time Dilemma
    Forza Horizon 3
    Battlefield 1
    Civilization VI
    Dragon Quest Builders
    Dishonored 2
    Final Fantasy XV
    The Last Guardian
    Gravity Rush 2
    Yakuza 0
    Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
    Nioh
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Nier: Automata
    Pokemon Sun and Moon

Zelda got killed, so now the gloves are off. I'm going to kill all of your darlings.

How's that one feel?

I was gonna kill it. I don't like the Souls games, I've bought and played Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 and Bloodborne and really don't get the love for them, they're extremely repetitive and just not fun.

• @Yoshi And if you don't like her design: Fine. But my stance on word choice hasn't changed.

• Oh man, am I the only Civ fan in these threads?

• @Sazime No, but I want to play RE7 more than Civ6 right now at least. Maybe once it has it's DLC out, I'll change my opinion on it.

• @Sazime I like Civ a lot too! I think one of the reasons why RE7 is winning right now is that there's more hype surrounding it because of the underdog narrative of the series. A massive fall from grace followed by a redeeming game that gives fans hope for a bright future is for many people a more compelling storyline than a game that struggles but ultimately achieves being even better than its extremely well-received predecessor. The massive jump in quality is exciting in a way that incremental but marked improvement isn't. RE7 is also easier to get into if you come from a wider variety of genres, while Civ has identified and refined a core group of gamers that it targets and can sometimes feel intimidating or less accessible for new entrants into the turn-based strategy genre.

• @Sazime I like the game, but I've been playing what is essentially the same game for more than 20 years. I still have yet to buy 6 but that's only because i can easily wait for a sale. It's not a game I must play! It's a game i causally enjoy.

Resident evil wouldn't have been my final choice. But it's more exciting overall.

• I honestly voted for RE7 because 7>6
    Get bigger numbers Civ!
    I haven't played either.

• @jipostus @alexwhiteplays @CGamor7 Well, another fun fact, I hate survival horror in almost all its forms. I've stopped played games, like Dead Space, because I got sick of them. Hell, I almost beat Dead Space. I just had enough of it.

• @Sazime I would call those games as being closer to action horror than survival horror, since the focus is on combat and fighting off enemies rather than being relatively helpless and needing to rely on a combination of hiding and running. Still, I get your point. For me, horror can be very hit-or-miss, but RE7 is a hit for sure.

• @alexwhiteplays Well, what killed it for me in Dead Space was running from that unbeatable thing for the second time. I'm not a fan of "upgrades" in a game where the whole point is to be under powered throughout in one way or another, either.

That being said? I LOVE watching LPs of the genre. Some of my favorite LPs are for genres I dislike, which seems counter intuitive, but for some reason, yeah. Love watching them vids.

• I should finally get to playing RE7 next week, I'm very hyped for it! Also it helps to know it's only about 10 hours, so it won't drag on for months like every other game these days!