Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

• Got it Tuesday, won't be able to play probably till Monday, but I got Sonic Mania to fill in the 20 to 30 minutes of game time I have right now till Monday

• Man, I feel right at home, almost everything is like it was in Zero.

• Zero's engine is so good, and it has me even more excited for 6 / Kiwami 2

• @WarpDogsVG 6 has its own engine though and Kiwami 2 will use that too insted, but apparently Hokuto ga Gotoku is made with the Zero engine.

• It does feel nice knowing where things are when someone brings it up, but... it is a little bit of a bummer the sense of discovery isn't quite as high. It's a remake and a cheaper title, so I can't fault it too much, but that was one of my favorite things in 0 - playing a random mini game that would then lead to an entire side quest, filled with new characters and challenges. Bowling is a lot more fun when you're trying to win a chicken turkey.

• Global Moderator

I just started the game yesterday. Really looking forward to the story that started it all. Plus I'm happy to know that they added some additional story in this version of the game.

• Global Moderator

I finished Kiwami the other day. Overall I really enjoyed it but coming off Zero (from last year) the game defintely does feel inferior.

For some reason I didn't enjoy the combat as much. I'm not sure if that's because I'd already played so much Zero or because you can fight Majima so many times but there are some fights where it just doesn't feel fun. Where you're fighting this person and they're kinda invincible and it comes down to just getting some hits in and getting knocked down until you finally beat them. I don't know. What do others think of the combat in the game?

The other issue is the pacing really. You can absolutely tell this is an old game is there are so many times where completely random things are brought into the story to extend it out but once you get to the last few chapters, it does get a lot more focused and a lot better.

And while Zero makes the game seem worse overall, it does add so much to the characters and I was both sad and shocked by them and things that happened so that was very cool.

Now to decide what to do when 6 comes out.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

the game defintely does feel inferior.

It is. But even a mediocre pizza is still pizza!

because you can fight Majima so many times but there are some fights where it just doesn't feel fun.

IMO, Majima Everywhere is one of the major issues I have with Kiwami, but it was kind of inevitable. They really created a monster when Majima stole the show in Zero.

What do others think of the combat in the game?

Aside from Majima Everywhere, I think that the fact that it's essentially re-creating mediocre combat encounters frame for frame in a new engine and slapping on new fighting styles from Zero that make Kiriyu OP kind of combine to make it feel less satisfying to me. And boy do I hate that car chase shooting section!

The other issue is the pacing really. You can absolutely tell this is an old game is there are so many times where completely random things are brought into the story to extend it out but once you get to the last few chapters, it does get a lot more focused and a lot better.

Agree

And while Zero makes the game seem worse overall, it does add so much to the characters and I was both sad and shocked by them and things that happened so that was very cool.

I played Y1 when it came out, and then replayed it more recently alongside Ben's stream of it. I think that there's a certain level of slack I'm willing to cut the original, being a PS2 game, Kiwami might be objectively superior - but as a PS4 game, I'm not sure it ranks as highly among it's contemporaries (both Zero and what i've played of 6 are far superior) I think Kiwami is the bottom ranked Yakuza game for me. The good news is, you've already beaten the worst one! All uphill from here!

Now to decide what to do when 6 comes out.

Play it!

• Global Moderator

I'm more so wondering if I should play it or play Kiwami 2 first. I've played a little bit of 4 & 5 and have both on my PS3

• @tokeeffe9 In my opinion (not having played Kiwami 2, but knowing how the first 4 chapters of Yakuza 6 feel) I'd play 6 first then Kiwami 2. Y6 is the first game on the new engine, and It takes a little getting used to. It's not BAD or INCOMPLETE or anything, but there's a bunch of side activities and mini games and such that just kinda didn't make it over into 6 from the previous engine, that apparently were done in time for Kiwami 2. So - gameplay wise, Y6 is familiar, but more of a fresh start, and YK2 is a refinement on that.

• I would say Yakuza 6 story is more aligned to what happens in Yakuza 3-5 just by playing the demo. I would recommend you to just watch the Yakuza Reminiscence videos that they provide and skip the games which is what I did when I started with Yakuza 3. If you plan to play Yakuza 3-5 after playing Kiwami 2 then ohh boy, you're going to have a rough time.

• I disagree, I started the series with Zero and am now at 5, and yes that means I played Yakuza 2 on PS2 after playing Kiwami 1, now that is what I would call rough.

• @tokeeffe9 I felt the same, I didn't enjoy the combat in Kiwami at all, and the whole thing soured me on the series despite loving Zero. The story was great though so that's what kept me going.

I'm also not sure whether to play Kiwami 2 or 6 first, it'll depend on how many other games I've got going on when it comes out! Although the appeal of having all these NJPW wrestlers in 6 makes it very hard to resist!

• Wow, the original Yakuza has much better pacing than zero, not to mention a much more focused and personal story

All of the games have their appeal, to question wether or not to play this game or that is ridiculous. It's even harder to ask people to skip around the series when it started so much better. I'm going to try six, but I've lost faith in it being better than the first two PS2 games.

• @sheria said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

the original Yakuza has much better pacing than zero

Kiwami doesn't though. At least, in my opinion.

• @tokyoslim said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

@sheria said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

the original Yakuza has much better pacing than zero

Kiwami doesn't though. At least, in my opinion.

I disagree. To say zero is dragged out is an understatement in my opinion, so much filler and far too many chapters for what was needed. Kiwami in comparison was a much more personal and compact tale which never suffered from any real down time. Zero was also to straight forward, in that it never really directed the player to explore. All of its directives were close to one another, never did it promote any real back and forth through the city.

Kiwami moved its plot along at a steady pace, and covered a minimum amount of chapters in order to tell it. Zero, in comparison, consisted if more chapters than ever In the series, and filled itself out with so many unnecessary diversions like the mandatory club ownership and gambling, so much so that it lost me in its main objective.

• @sheria I think we're talking about different things when we're talking about pacing then.

Kiwami's story was shorter, yeah, but it was artificially padded out by shoehorning in Majima Everywhere, which felt more like filler to me than literally anything in Zero. It was also much harder to AVOID engaging Majima than anything in Zero. Zero's side-content was much more integrated into the main story. Majima is a constant interruption to the main story in Kiwami, IMO.

When you say Zero was too straight forward and "never directed the player to explore", and that directives were closer to one another and didn't promote back and forth through the city - that's what I'd call BETTER PACING. Most of the complaints I've heard of the older games stem from the fact that there's these quests that require you to run back and forth across the city searching for and fetching things for people to fulfill an arbitrary task. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I felt like there was much less of this in Zero. Maybe because it was longer, it was just less of a percentage. Also, again, the godawful car chase shootout.

I think Y4 has the same number of chapters as Y0, and Y5 has 10 more hours of main story. So it's neither the longest chapter wise, or has the longest story.

• Global Moderator

Gotta say I'm pretty surprised by that opinion too @Sheria. I found the pacing all over the place with Kiwami. Zero at least always felt focused to the story while in Kiwami there'd be a chapter dedicated to some random girl and the son of the florist and another to Date's daughter and they didn't really have any place in the main story at all. There were a few more occasions of this too, I just honestly forget them.

• Since this thread was reborn, I'll recycle my thoughts from the Last Game You Finished thread. Spoilers, I thought 0 was a lot better:

Just finished Yakuza Kiwami. Idk whether Yakuza 0 recycled a lot of Yakuza 1's story or whether Kiwami takes a lot from 0, but I'm glad I played the prequel first. Too much felt repetitive having played the prequel earlier this year. It did have its emotional moments and the story had highlights, but it felt a bit rambling and backwards following up Yakuza 0 with Kiwami.

Regardless, it's a super solid 7-7.5/10 and I recommend anybody to go and play Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami to get into the series.

• I barely fought Majima in Yakuza Kiwami