Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

• @iboshow lol that's nuts. I fought him SO MUCH. Like, I didn't want to bother fully upgrading dragon style, but I got like 2/3 of the way there incidentally just through random encounters. The first time he barges into a fight against random NPC's I almost threw my controller.

• @tokyoslim There was a 30-60 minute period I went around looking for him but I kept fighting Mr. Shakedown.

• @iboshow ? Mr. Shakedown isn't in Kiwami (though it would explain why you couldn't find Majima) :p

• Yeah I didn't even run into Majima once outside of the first few mandatory times. I was well over 50% completed the main game before I accidentally bumped into him. It happened so late into the game that I had no idea what was going on because of the "Kiryu" squeal he does which I had never heard before. It rendered the Dragon style completely useless because I never even got heat actions in Dragon style until I was nearly done the game.

• @tokyoslim Didn't they have Mr. Shakedown like guys in Kiwami, I don't remember their names.

• @iboshow Nope, the only "named" baddie wandering the map (and popping out from manholes, and car trunks, and being triggered by you being in a certain location, and etc) is Majima. Other than that it's just Yakuza/Thugs/etc

I'm starting to wonder if they maybe toned down Majima with a patch or something. I'm not kidding - you guys saying that maybe you saw him TWICE? I fought him at least 60 times during Kiwami.

• @tokyoslim i fought him alot early and then the middle like 60 % of the game i didnt even know i was supposed to check under pylons for him lol

• @ff7cloud Him hiding is only 1/6th of Majima Everywhere. He interrupts fights during random encounters, he'll attack you while entering or leaving stores, he ambushes you based on a proximity trigger, he challenges you during minigames, etc.

During the middle couple of chapters in the game, he "takes a break" but then as soon as you hit Chapter 10-14, he literally shows up every 7-10 minutes.

• @tokyoslim

I found him under the pylon after a few chapters. I'm pretty sure he does not attack you and never will attack you until you uncover him from the giant pylon so it's possible that nobody fights Majima unless they do this. If my memory is right, I think his encounters up to this point are all mandatory so it's possible that you fight him a few mandatory times, then he hides under the pylon, then leave him there and never encounter him.

Roughly by the time I completed the main story , I got the CP for beating Majima 10 times. He has never invaded any of my brawls. I only have done a few of the scavenger hunts for him (i.e. Bartender, pylon, and the last one I recall was the stripper dance), he showed up while I was taking selfies in a photo booth at the SEGA Arcade but we never fought, he has never challenged me during a minigame or shown up as I enter a store. He's only fought me by running into me on the street.

Weird how different our experiences were. I only started playing it in March but I doubt they have had more than a patch or two for this game.

• Global Moderator

I fought Majima so much. There was one stage where I fought him 3 times in a row. Found him in a manhole, then random encounter during a fight and then right in front of me. This was in the space of about 20 seconds in game walking time and probably 15 minutes worth of fighting time!

• @dipset said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

I found him under the pylon after a few chapters. I'm pretty sure he does not attack you and never will attack you until you uncover him from the giant pylon so it's possible that nobody fights Majima unless they do this. If my memory is right, I think his encounters up to this point are all mandatory so it's possible that you fight him a few mandatory times, then he hides under the pylon, then leave him there and never encounter him.

I think that's exactly what happened to me. I used to fight him all the time and then it stopped and I was happy with that so never actively looked for him. Then at one point near the end of the game I approached a pylon and saw it shake and realized he had to be under it, so I turned around and left him there.

• @axel said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

@dipset said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

I think that's exactly what happened to me. I used to fight him all the time and then it stopped and I was happy with that so never actively looked for him. Then at one point near the end of the game I approached a pylon and saw it shake and realized he had to be under it, so I turned around and left him there.

Let's imagine that realistically. The game takes place over a few days. From a lore perspective, Majima's persistence is unmatched. He will risk dying of dehydration to hide inside of a pylon for days on end in order to fight Kiryu, malnourished or not.

• I have no idea why I thought there was like a friend of mr. shakedown in Kiwami, tell me that he was referenced.

• @iboshow I think they do reference it verbally maybe?

There's a very large man you take around and show him like, a BBQ place, and then a hostess club, and then the underground fighting arena. Then he challenges you to a fight in the tournament. It miiiiight be referenced in there somewhere - But that's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

• @iboshow

I am 90% sure Kiryu says something to Haruka alluding to Mr. Shakedown back in the day. You aren't going crazy.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

Gotta say I'm pretty surprised by that opinion too @Sheria. I found the pacing all over the place with Kiwami. Zero at least always felt focused to the story while in Kiwami there'd be a chapter dedicated to some random girl and the son of the florist and another to Date's daughter and they didn't really have any place in the main story at all. There were a few more occasions of this too, I just honestly forget them.

No way can I agree to Kiwami being all over the place, especially compared to a game that literally bounced itself about two characters acting out at different times. Things would get interesting with one character, and then, right at a pinnacle, you're left hanging and forced into an unrelated scenario elsewhere, with two chapters in-between.

Some down time In a story is good for pacing; important plot revelation, followed by a little exposition and some slower, social aspects. Zero however, shoved huge sections such as its real estate, hostess management and stuff like the underground arena, well into the game, when you'd be hoping it was well done with tutorial stuff.

• @sheria said in Yakuza Kiwami (PS4):

unrelated scenario elsewhere

They weren't unrelated though. It was the same story from another character's perspective that gave you important context for the bigger picture.

• I know that. It had no effect on the hangers though, they didn't connect till the end. It was always a two chapter blocker every so often; people knew there was a connection, but pacing issues resulted in the waiting an eternity to bring an interesting correlation

• I have no idea what any of that means. What's a hanger? If you're claiming that the story had no effect on the characters, you and I played different games.

The story connected immediately from the opening 4 chapters.

Without the first 2 chapters of Kiryu, you'd have no context for the first 2 chapters of Majima. The first two chapters of Majima give you information that's crucial to the next two chapters of Kiryu, and so on and so forth. The CHARACTERS don't know their stories are related, but that's why it's told in the back and forth manner that it is. So you can see the larger plot unfold around two separate protagonists unaware of the other's existence.

• Hanger is that you're waiting to see what happens. What a load of rubbish that you need to need to know one to understand the other.