Nintendo NES Classic Edition! aaaaaaaaaaannnndd iitttss goooooooooooneeee

• Released almost a year ago, and never even saw it in person, NOT ONCE.... would have loved having one since it meant the beginning of my gaming hobby and of so much memories..but I will never pay more than a cent to a damned scalper!!

So goodbye Unicorn Mini NES, you where just numerous pictures of overpriced three decimal amazon and ebay item I never got to see... you might as well never existed

• Maybe it's intended to push people towards the Switch and future Virtual Console purchases, but it seems odd to end manufacturing a product that still maintains a high demand. I wasn't actively seeking one out, but I likely would have bought one if I ever saw one in store.

• @edsortiz said in Nintendo NES Classic Edition! aaaaaaaaaaannnndd iitttss goooooooooooneeee:

item I never got to see... you might as well never existed

My exact thoughts. Wake me up if SNES happens, I guess?

• @Billy I won't believe that unless Nintendo drops their Virtual Console prices from 5 bucks for an NES game to 2 bucks. I think it was a hard choice of needing their factory connections to make more Switches, not more of what was supposed to be a little holiday item they didn't expect to take off like it did. It sucks, and they should've just announced that it'd be awhile but they would return to making them later when resources freed up, but that's not what they did at all so here we are in scalper's paradise.

• I got one and an extra controller to go with it for 2 player so all is well. :3

• Banned

Not really sure why people are going crazy over a tiny painted gray box that has 30 year old games slapped onto it for an outrageous price.

I mean, am I just too use to emulators or is my nostalgia not as strong as everyone else's?

• @Art People like little all-in-one gaming boxes. It's why consoles in general thrive to begin with when PC gaming makes way more sense all around. On top of that, by outrageous price you meant an outrageous value, because those same 30 NES if they were available on eShop would cost you 150 bucks on top of the price of hardware to run them. Now we both know NES games shouldn't be worth 5 bucks a pop today, but neither of us can stop Nintendo from charging that, so aside from stealing games as you've suggested there's just no better, more affordable way to access these games today. Plus, you forget the most important quirk of humanity when it comes to things like this. People want what they can't have, and unless they're willing to shell out plum stupid amounts of money right now to scalpers, they can't have a dumb little box of their own to brag about and feel included in the zeitgeist of.

So that's why people are going crazy over such an insignificant, little side product.

• @Mbun For me..it has nothing to do with having what i cant have, If that was the reason I would have just bought it at $1XX from a scalper. $60 for 30 nes games and official hardware from nintendo is a really good value for me (I guess its just too good to have). Is it so much to dream about just walking to a store, or buying it online at cover price ...an insignificant product (like people say).
    @Art And yes, around 5 years ago I bought a couple of NES and SNES USB controllers to play emulations on my PC. That little console has value for me... ofcourse im not gonna go and play like 60 hours on it.. I wont die if I don't have it.. I'm just frustrated more than anything else, people have to always step on each other and take advantage of any situation.

• @Art Yep Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario Bros 1-3, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden and 22 other NES classics for 2 bucks a piece sure is outrageous!

smh

• @edsortiz they had just as much chance to grab the consoles and you did.

• The way I feel about this: "Nah, don't sweat it pirates. You're doing a better job and we're sick of making money."

So shortsighted.

• @Art yeah people are weird.

i literally didn't give a shit when they announced the NES Mini. i'm like meh, it'd be cool to own but i'm saving up for the Switch. i even completely ignored all the restocks.

then EB games australia restocked the system online on Monday arvo and i'm like "huh? oh cool, i've finished paying off my Switch console and all my pre-orders for it and i've got the spare cash for it at the moment so why the fuck not?" and i just casually bought my NES Mini and told my mates that it was in stock atm.

then i hear shortly afterwards that this was Australias last ever restock of the console and then shortly after that even America is discontinuing the product. i lol'd my ass off at everyone who didn't bother to go grab one at the multiple opportunities they had to grab one and have now "missed out".

it's their own fault for "missing out" i say. LOL

• @Yoshi how is it my own fault?!? Whenever a restock was announced here in the US an hour later they where sold out.. and im not gonna go and make a line at 6am at some walmart for the CHANCE of grabing one.. not worth it

• I got one and a spare controller for my kids for Christmas and they would rather play the original console cause they like blowing the games

• @Longview It's truly part of the experience.

• Never saw the appeal, maybe because I emulate old games like that, maybe because I didn't grow up with it, but it didnt seem like that great of a deal.

An SNES one I could almost understand because there are very few games on the NES that weren't done better on the SNES, and even for SMB3, that is available on the SNES in SM All Stars

• Buy a Raspberry Pi kit.
    Bam, you've got an NES Classic but with literally EVERY NES and SNES game instead of the 30 they include with it.

I never understood why people went so apeshit for an overpriced emulation box.

• @El-Shmiablo I know some people that have hacked their Nes Mini's to have every single game on it, so if you get it at retail and do that its a pretty cool look piece of kit

• @edsortiz well that's your decision. the scalpers you're whinging about seemed to think it was worth it. you could have easily lined up at 6am like they did

• As long as they realize there is a clear demand for titles of the past and make them available. Especially since Switch seems like a return to roots in many regards. So many people my age (20s) love video games and have their entire lives, but haven't touched anything before N64/PS1. I had Genesis but that's by circumstances. I'd love to play SNES or NES games without having to make a Raspberry Pi or spend $200-300 on NES and $100 per game. Renting an SNES for the full price of the console, then getting my deposit back when I return it, etc.

GOG can bring back PC classics that I would have otherwise never played, Sony has the PS Store, but Nintendo has a much longer legacy and should help fans out in this regard.