Nintendo NES Classic Edition! aaaaaaaaaaannnndd iitttss goooooooooooneeee

• @Yoshi That is an incredibly dumb analogy.

Its always been a rule that you can discuss emulation as long as you don't provide information on how to do it.

Jeez. I didn't think it would upset so many that I don't care for an overpriced novelty item.

• My two cents on this:

I don't believe for a second that Nintendo stopped production "because they must hate money or something."

They said the console was never meant to be a long-term thing, so they had allocated their production resources around that. The demand got much higher than they anticipated. They are definitely to blame on that front, it's not the first time they underestimate demand. But I can understand their cautious approach to some extent.

What's worse? To miss out on some extra sales or to overproduce and actually lose money by being left with thousands of unsold units.

The thing is, this console was only ever meant to drive Nintendo right back to the forefront of public awareness, as an indirect promotional tool for the Switch and their brand as a whole — just like their smartphone games, their primary purpose is to remind/introduce people to their classic IPs. And it accomplished that perfectly.

Now why not produce more when there's clear demand?

• Because it could act as a direct competitor to the Switch? Maybe to some extent, although considering it costs as much as a game, I doubt many people would see it as a huge investment and think "I'm either buying this or the Switch, not both."
    • Because it's not actually making them that much money? I doubt their margin is huge on this machine, again because its main goal was not to make money, but to act as a promotional tool. It did its job, there's no point for them to overhaul their entire production pipeline to make a couple extra millions. That's peanuts to them compared to what the Switch/3DS can make them.
    • Because the Switch is also in higher demand than expected, and they need to produce these bad boys as fast as possible. It's clearly in their best interest to sell Switches than NES Minis right now, and like @Mbun said, they need their factory resources to be allocated towards that in full force. Mass-production of such technological items isn't improvised, there are contracts, schedules, competition, etc. If they agreed to produce this many NES in a few months and then move on to making Switches with the same factories, it's not that easy to say "Oh actually, could you make 100,000 more of these, but also make more Switches, faster?"

So they had to make a call and I'm sure they thought it through. Long-term, it's definitely the best decision.

The crappy part is that by being so obscure about it, they're pissing a lot of people off. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

It's possible they could bring it back someday, although this Christmas would be counter-productive since they'll be focusing 100% on selling the Switch, so it might take a few years. Or more likely, it'll be the Super NES Mini next.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Nintendo NES Classic Edition! aaaaaaaaaaannnndd iitttss goooooooooooneeee:

Its always been a rule that you can discuss emulation as long as you don't provide information on how to do it.

telling someone to go buy a raspberry pi is information on how to do it though. you've provided information on what product they need to buy which also significantly narrows down the direction on where they should be looking for information on how to emulate these games.

it's like if someone were to say "where can i buy this game?" you don't need to directly tell them to buy it at Gamestop/EB Games. simply saying "you can buy it at your local videogames retailer" significantly narrows down where that person should be looking. there are only so many videogame retailers so it's only natural that person would end up first looking towards the big videogame retailers for that said game. they're not going to walk into a florist and ask for said videogame.

• @Yoshi You are really grasping there, buddy.

Using your nuclear bomb analogy, you are implying that I've given people explicit instructions on how to build the device when all I've really said is "Go buy some Uranium".

But hey, keep trying!

• @El-Shmiablo said in Nintendo NES Classic Edition! aaaaaaaaaaannnndd iitttss goooooooooooneeee:

You are really grasping there, buddy.

says the guy who flat out told someone to go buy a device that people primarily use for emulating games and is now grasping at straws by going

"b-b-but i didn't TECHNICALLY tell him to download/steal those games" to try and create a loophole for yourself

• @Yoshi
    alt text

Back to the topic at hand.
    I wonder if Nintendo is just pulling the same ol' artificial shortage like they did with Wiis and Amiibos.

If they ever make a SNES version of this and don't include Super Mario RPG, I will be sending Nintendo a strongly worded letter.

• @ACardAttack It's hard to go into detail about every little thing, so here's a link if you're curious, but it boils down mostly to them scraping lots of the charm of the original in remaking the assets for the All Stars version. There's even a handy picture included at that link so you can see just how radically different the versions are.
    @El-Shmiablo I never said legally you shouldn't discuss that here. I said it doesn't belong in an argument of legally acquiring the software, because it is in fact an illegal method of acquiring it, an argument you could extend to "well just steal EVERYTHING cause it's always cheaper than actually purchasing games". Arguing about Nintendo using roms or whether or not any of that money goes to the original developers is another argument entirely centered around piracy that should probably take place in a separate thread if you care to open that can of worms. And reading the rest of the thread now, I'm sorry to see people jumping on you about this topic and you having to respond back. That's precisely why it's something to be discussed in a different thread if at all.
    @El-Shmiablo said:

I wonder if Nintendo is just pulling the same ol' artificial shortage like they did with Wiis and Amiibos.

Wiis are debatable, but I really doubt Nintendo ever intentionally pulled an artificial shortage with Amiibo. Artificial shortage in general seems like one of the tinfoil hat, paranoia theories out there on the internet since for the most part this doesn't actually benefit the company to do this whatsoever and actually loses them money on potential sales, but I feel like it's even more farfetch'd with Amiibo (please give us a Farfetch'd Amiibo TPC) when you look at the history of them.

This is a history of Nintendo never really producing large amounts of physical merch in the current era, then suddenly firing the factories up to make tons of little plastic figures. I say tons, because go back and look at the lineup of Smash Bros. Amiibo, which was the first wave(s) of Amiibo they rolled out. There are lots of different characters they had to make, and they could not have predicted the amount of demand for them as collector's items that came pretty much out of nowhere. You can tell they were struggling just to get their next planned waves produced and shipped out, before even trying to meet the demand that had sprung up for previous waves. The quality on the first batches were also all over the place, but that got better over time as the finished the Smash Series and got more breathing room. Nintendo even eventually revisited some of the especially hard to get Amiibo later, sadly so later that the demand for them has sorta died off already when the trend of collecting them all became too much for people.

Also, yes I know Nintendo started off as a company entirely based around physical merchandise of playing cards and such, but it's been ages since THAT Nintendo, and the only kinds of stuff they had made in more recent times was promotional merchandise and stuff like Club Nintendo rewards which weren't really sold directly on store shelves in large quantities like Amiibo.

• @Mbun Amen to that.

Just to add something about the artificial shortage theory: the sole reason why a company would do this is to create more demand (or more pressing demand) for its product.

This can only be beneficial to the company IF they end up satisfying that demand by eventually supplying enough. Creating demand only to not satisfy it achieves only one thing: piss off consumers. I don't see why a company would purposely do that.

I really think it boils down to them being too cautious. They'd rather sell 100% of an average stock — and possibly miss out on, say, 25% more sales — than sell 50% of a large stock and lose money on the rest.

• @Mbun

I like the look of the All Stars version more, but thats probably because thats how I mostly played it as a kid as my friends and cousin had it and didn't have the NES version and when I could play an NES version, not being able to save for a 6 or 7 year old kid was a big task

• @ACardAttack When I played it as a kid, I only had Mario 3 for NES, as such I do think the originals assets are way more iconic, hell they're the ones Super Mario Maker uses for it's skin of Mario 3, so they must be canon. I can understand being used to the other ones if you grew up with them though, but to me they look like they were trying too hard to conform the weirdness of 3 to Super Mario World's style more, and they are so very different games that don't need to be the same. Prefer what you wanna prefer though. I'm weirdo who likes when and how 3 bugs out too, partially because my copy of 3 on the NES would often bug out to various degrees in amusing ways, whereas most people find that pretty distracting and annoying.

I do agree having a real save function is damned useful in that game. Used to be a gauntlet to beat back in the day. There were many times I left my NES on for almost a week to try and beat it, often returning home to painfully find out someone turned it off. Thanks to 3DS Virtual Console save states, I can have the best of both worlds now though.