Calling all Allies, I need your anime recommendations!

• @Sieghardt Thanks a bunch! :)

• The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is probably the most iconic series that fits into the supernatural slice-of-life genre. Pretty sure this trailer is fan-made, but it gives a fairly accurate idea of the series. (Though for whatever reason, the framerate on this video is atrocious. I promise the actual show isn't like that.)

Youtube Video

• I'll second the recommendation of Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi! One of my favorite series ever, I ended up reading the novels so I could finish the story.

Some other anime to consider...

Bakemonogatari
    anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
    Clannad
    Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!
    Beyond the Boundary
    Mob Psycho 100
    Wolf Children
    Little Busters!
    Haibane Renmei
    Magical☆Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

I tried to think of a good mix of new and older series, there are a lot of really great suggestions already!

• Youtube Video

It's not slice of life, but if you want a family anime with fantasy elements, I highly suggest you watch Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. It's composed of good character work, fight animation, single episode arcs that contribute to the larger story, some neat intrigue, and some really haunting fantasy elements. Oh, and the English dub is good too.

• @Gheremie_Johnson listen to @Sieghardt he nailed it. I guess I'd tack onto that Kino no Tabi, Natsume Yuujinchou (6th season is airing right now, so you have alot to catch up on), Uchouten Kazoku (2nd season is airing right now), Yurikuma Arashi, Kannagi, and Hare+Guu. Also Busou Shinki if you want a slice of life kinda like anime Toy Story. They lack supernatural, but it's probably worth checking out all of Minami-ke and Hanasaku Iroha, and of course I won't miss a chance to recommend Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume.

• I'm not a huge anime guy but I loved Mob Psycho 100, if you haven't already watched it. I think it fits your criteria, but I'm not entirely sure...

• My top picks would be Fruits Basket and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
    Both are funny at times, serious at times, and can get emotional, all with some weird scifi/magical stuff snuck in there.

• I'd like to second the recommendation of Natsume Yuujinchou! It's literally the definition of slice of life with a supernatural twist. So chill, so lovely, and strangely addictive. The first three seasons are listed as one on Crunchyroll. It's seriously one of my favorite shows.

I'd also like to second the Mob Psycho 100 reccomendation. It's a mix of supernatural, shonen, and slice of life, but it's really excellent!

Finally, I have to submit Assassination Classroom. It's more weird science then supernatural but it's got a yellow octopus middle school teacher and a bunch of students trying to kill him. There's the nice juxtaposition of relatable life lessons taught through assissination attempts that might have a similar feeling to the supernatural/slice of life you're looking for.

• Also, if you want old school, Yu Yu Hakusho holds up pretty well! It kind of drops the slice of life bit after the first arc in favor of going full on supernatural-martial arts, but it's still good fun.

• Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable is basically a slice of life that happens to have stands in it. Which, to be fair, is probably why it's my favorite part. Should probably watch the first three parts first though.

• @logic__error said in Calling all Allies, I need your anime recommendations!:

I'll second the recommendation of Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi! One of my favorite series ever, I ended up reading the novels so I could finish the story.

Same here, I'm not a big on reading, so it took me four years to get through it. But totally worth it. Loved the novels. Just finished the last one a couple of weeks ago. That ending was FANTASTIC.

So yea, another vote for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

HOWEVER. You may want to watch the series in the....special order.

• Anything before 2000. Mostly everything after that is pap.

• @alexwhiteplays Thanks! This will be one of the next things I check out if I can find it.

• @naltmank I actually finished Mob Psycho two or three weeks ago and loved it! You should check out One Punch Man if you haven't seen it, it was created by the same guy and it's great.

• @DeweyDTruman Jojo is on my long list of must watch anime thanks to Ben and the other allies giving it so much praise!

• I'm an anime pleb.
    I just finished One Punch Man and shit was pretty tight.

My favorites include:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion/EVA Rebuild
    Galaxy Express 999
    Macross Plus
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Detroit Metal City

and a whole whack of other shit I'm forgetting.

• @El-Shmiablo Pleb or not, I love anytime I see someone recommend or simply bring up Detroit Metal City to someone else. What a show.

• @El-Shmiablo @Mbun Detroit Metal City is one of the best comedy series ever.

I wouldn't call many of those slice of life or supernatural but they are all good picks in a general sense! You've got some good stuff under your belt for a self proclaimed pleb!

• If you're down for a long one, Hunter X Hunter. One of my faves. Interesting characters, great action and wild tone shifts.

• Global Moderator

My suggestion is "School Rumble" if you like to laugh a lot. Its got a good mix of comedy, romance, and slice of life stuff. If you like Maid Dragon you'll like this one.