(No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV

• Xenoblade is better than both of them and all other JRPG's anyway so doesn't really if persona is better than final fantasy or vice versa at the end of the day. :3

• @Yoshi said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

Xenoblade is better than both of them and all other JRPG's anyway so doesn't really if persona is better than final fantasy or vice versa at the end of the day. :3

Nah man, Xenosaga 3 is where it's at (or just Xenosaga in general) ;)

Youtube Video

• If Persona is archetypal than Xenoblade characters are whatever is lower than that. A lower trope-ic level, if you will. Even just the generic girl love interest character in P3 or 5 is leagues more developed as an individual person than her equivalent in Xenoblade. Female Persona characters are actually allowed to do something besides look pretty. Meanwhile every action in XC is reserved for Shulk — perhaps the most hollow, uninspired anime protagonist I have ever heard scream at things. He is even worse than having a silent protagonist.

• @Yoshi Out of curiosity, how many hours have you put into Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV?

Also, Xenogears is best Xeno game, for all time. Much love to it for throwing in some of Carl Jung's philosophies, much like Persona.

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth

Hey we agree on something! Xenogears is a very good game. Admittedly I never got around to playing Xenosaga 2 & 3. They need a remaster collection immediately!

• @SabotageTheTruth gotta finish this game some day i always get 20-30 hours in and something always comes up.

• @Inustar said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

Either way, I'm unsure about the point of this whole post. Who is even comparing FFXV and P5 except that they're both classified as JRPGS?

Agreed. I'll admit I have been avoiding the Persona 5 thread because I want to experience the game myself so I'm not sure if there has been a lot of talk over there. This is the first time I have heard this complaint or even considered the comparison would be made. They are such different games its like comparing Battlefield and Bulletstorm.

• @Tragosaurus We haven't been comparing it to FFXV at all, it's mostly just talk about how much we're loving the game. Lots of spoiler tags and such as well, I'd say it's safe to mosey on over and join in the conversation.

• In other news: having an opinion on video games is totally fair. Even if it's that Life of Black Tiger is a better game than FFVI. It's not, but it's not unfair to either game to believe that it is.

Fairness is a bad metric to measure opinions by.

• The same coud be said of almost any game, for example the scope of Andromeda is larger than Persona, Zelda or Nier. However those are considered better games.

• I can't find the article, but I remember a review on Persona 5 basically summing it up with "Better Than FFXV." And it kind of annoyed me.

Mass Effect Andromeda, Nier, and Zelda arent JRPGs, so that's why it isn't necessarily the same thing. I understand that FFXV is an Action RPG, and Persona 5 is turn based, but in the end they were both highly anticipated JRPGs with both long wait times.

I just believe on a technical level and trying my best to stay unbiased, that I think it's unfair to say one's better than the other. Due to what they both tried to accomplish.

Obviously anyone can have their opinion. If personally people think Persona 5 is a better experience than FFXV, than by all means anyone can think that. I won't even argue that much, because I'm really enjoying Persona 5.

But if we are talking about opinions...I prefer Persona 3 over Persona 4...but I guess that's another topic for another day.

• So I kind of agree with you in your base premise.

A mediocre game (like No Man's Sky) that has ambition is more interesting and holds more value than a game that may be better, but is mediocre (such as Watch Dogs)

But I have to disagree with you that Persona 5 lacks ambition. It doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel, but it's also unlike any other game series out there, so I feel it doesn't have to as it really has few competitors.

While FF XV impressed me in the direction it wished to head, it always felt just too far out of reach, like I was looking at it through glass. Altissia is a prime example of this. In the promo material and trailers, it was shown off as this giant, sprawling city. But when you arrived in game, you were forced to travel around by gondolier and it felt incredibly restricting and small by coparisson.

I guess my point is that while I agree with your premise, P5 and FF XV don't exactly fit in that mold.

• @Alex840 said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

it really has few competitors

isn't persona just Junior Shin Megami Tensei?

• @Yoshi It's part of the same series and uses similar themes, demons, and mechanics (such as negotiations). The reason for the split is SMT games tend to involve the apocalypse (Persona doesn't) and there's a shift in telling a more character driven story with Persona.

Also a bit bummed you dodged the question about how many hours you put into FFXV and Persona 5. A person wouldn't call them lesser games without having actually played them... right?

Interesting unrelated fact - if you google "smug Bloodworth" pictures of Kyle Bosman appear first. That ain't right.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

Also a bit bummed you dodged the question about how many hours you put into FFXV and Persona 5. A person wouldn't call them lesser games without having actually played them... right?

that's such a stupid argument "you HAVE to play something in order to be able to judge it".

no i don't. i don't need to play every single COD game to know that they are all basically the same shit with a different skin and that they're shit. you've played one COD you'v played them all.

i'm not going to waste my time playing EVERY single game thats out there just so i can say which game is better than another

• @Yoshi I just don't believe there's any value in commenting in a thread specifically about two games you haven't played and have no interest in playing. "Don't knock it until you try it," is a cliche because well... it's true. You can absolutely judge something at face value but that's a shallow representation of the product as a whole. When the conversation revolves around the specifics of two titles that can't be ascertained from trailers alone, antagonizing both games with no true knowledge of either doesn't add any value to the discussion. If you want to talk about the merits of Xenoblade, I'd suggest creating your own topic and starting a conversation there.

One other thing I wanted to touch on briefly about FFXV that I'm ashamed I didn't mention earlier is the proposed patch of story that is supposed to be coming out soon. While I do like the fact they recognized a lot of people had issues with the story as a whole (especially a specific chapter), I hope this doesn't set a precedent for the rest of the industry. The idea that those playing the game on release are missing out on story elements feels... bad. As long as it's a situation that sticks to FFXV and doesn't spread, I'm all for it.

• @Yoshi said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

@SabotageTheTruth said in (No Spoilers) It's unfair to say Persona 5 is better than FFXV:

that's such a stupid argument "you HAVE to play something in order to be able to judge it".

no i don't. i don't need to play every single COD game to know that they are all basically the same shit with a different skin and that they're shit. you've played one COD you'v played them all.

i'm not going to waste my time playing EVERY single game thats out there just so i can say which game is better than another

Just to make one thing clear. There's a diffence between having an opinion and an educated opinion. For example, until you've actually played something it's all theoretical.
    To use CoD as an example, I haven't been interested in CoD since 4 (and to a smaller degree, MW2). I thought all the games looked like something I would no longer enjoy. However I was gifted Black Ops 3 and after playing it I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit and can safely say that it's not what I expected.

Having knowledge and experience about the things you're discussing has value, both to you and the other people you're discussing it with.
    Using the logic of "well I don't need to play something to know it's shit" is dangerously close to some 4chan shitposting.

• @Yoshi then maybe you shouldn't waste time making baseless comparisons between things you have no direct experience with?

If everyone just spills out their opinion everywhere with no interest of backing it with any sort of arguments or perspectives, well that wouldn't make for a very attractive forum, and wouldn't be much more than the equivalent of virtual shouting matches.

• @SabotageTheTruth or maybe Xenoblade is just that good that i don't need to play anything else to know they won't measure up to its greatness. and yes that includes Xenoblade 2 :3

@SabotageTheTruth or maybe Xenoblade is just that good that i don't need to play anything else to know they won't measure up to its greatness. and yes that includes Xenoblade 2 :3

Using that logic Xenoblade isn't very good because I have played amazing JRPGs before it that Xenoblade could never even come close to. I don't need to have played Xenoblade to know this.