Kingdom Hearts game order?

• Hey everyone, I have never played Kingdom Hearts before and am thinking of getting the 1.5/2.5 remix. My question is, is there a good order to play the six games in? I am considering just playing 1 and 2 to begin with and playing the others afterwards, but is there a better order where my appreciation of the story will be better?

Love and respect!

• Playing them in order of release is the best thing here, that is if you take Re: Chain of Memories to have taken the GBA game's place. I suppose you could watch 358/2 Days before 2, but I personally don't recommend it.

Story wise, my suggestion would be:

Kingdom Hearts 1
    Re: Chain of Memories
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    (Watch) 358/2 Days
    (Watch) Re: Coded
    Birth by Sleep

• @Sheria said in Kingdom Hearts game order?:

Playing them in order of release is the best thing here, that is if you take Re: Chain of Memories to have taken the GBA game's place. I suppose you could watch 358/2 Days before 2, but I personally don't recommend it.

Story wise, my suggestion would be:

Kingdom Hearts 1
    Re: Chain of Memories
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    (Watch) 358/2 Days
    (Watch) Re: Coded
    Birth by Sleep

Basically this, except I'd add that you could watch/skip Chain of Memories if you're not feeling it.

• Don't play any of the games.

Just listen to the extended 30 minute Simple and Clean Ray of Hope Remix while browsing KH fanart and you'll be ready for KH3.

Do what Sheria said only don't forget to pick up 2.8 to play DDD. It has important story details that lead into KH3.

• These are all solid suggestions. Being a giant nerd of the series, I play in order of story as opposed to release which is:

Unchained x (The movie version in 2.8)
    Birth by Sleep (2.5)
    KH 1 (1.5)
    Chain of Memories (This is one of the low points in the series gameplay wise. I wish it were a movie instead of a game, but it comes down to preference - 2D on the GBA or 3D in 1.5)
    358/2 Days (This game gets a little more hate than it should. I actually enjoy this game quite a bit and was bummed/irked to hear it was only a movie in 2.5, but I prefer the game. Again, it's all down to personal preference)
    KH II (2.5)
    Re:Coded (The WORST of the series. You're better off just watching the movie in 2.5)
    Dream Drop Distance (2.8)
    Birth by Sleep 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage (2.8)

Again, this is my order because it follows the timeline, but because you are looking for an entry, I think if you give the first game a shot, and really enjoy it, then you don't have to follow release order because with the exception of CoM and 358/2 Days (not counting the abomination of Re:Coded), they play very much the same.

I hope this helps!

• @Brannox said in Kingdom Hearts game order?:

358/2 Days (This game gets a little more hate than it should. I actually enjoy this game quite a bit and was bummed/irked to hear it was only a movie in 2.5, but I prefer the game. Again, it's all down to personal preference)

I agree, I absolutely love that game.

• I suppose 358/2 days is great if your favorite level in the entirety of the KH is Agrabah.

• Go to google
    google kingdom hearts
    see release order of each game
    play that

there's no other order.

• Pretty much what a lot of people have already said, I think going through the list straight through as it's presented on the main menu is best story-wise. You could go in chronological order like @Brannox said, but I personally think it's best to go by order of release. I think the story has better payoffs when you're finding out info pretty much at the same time as the main characters.

I also agree that 358/2 Days is definitely worth looking into playing since you get a lot more context through the actually game, although the movie is good enough if you're not feeling it.

I hope you enjoy the games if you decide to pick it up! I've been a big fan for a long time, and playing through the new collection has definitely rekindled my appreciation for the series.

• @Art Sure, you go to Agrabah too much in my opinion in the game, but I enjoy it so much because it provides background on the Organization.

@ObbyDent @Jamicov Plus...

If veterans of the series notice, there's a late game mission in Wonderland that shows Ventus for a brief moment and Xigbar will make mention of it. Keep in mind Birth by Sleep came after this game.

This is the kind of thing that kind of muddies which order to play what, but small payoffs like this make it worth it to have that context.

• Thanks a lot for this! I plan on finally getting into the series too, and was wondering the same thing ^^

• @Art said in Kingdom Hearts game order?:

I suppose 358/2 days is great if your favorite level in the entirety of the KH is Agrabah.

Hey now I remember you from GT. I'm on here and SIFTD though, gotta love them blogs.

Anyway, on topic, thanks I wanted to know as well.

• Thanks everyone! I think I will play through the games in the order on the disc as that seems to be what most are saying. :) I'll let you know what I think of Kingdom Hearts once I've got it! Thank you Brannox and Sheria especially for writing out orders. :)

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.