Selective Creation: Build the Best "Others" Genre List!

• You may have noticed that some genres have not been covered up to this point. This is because I felt either A.) The genres are not wholly popular across the players' interests or B.) I couldn't think of enough to reach the list cap. So I've decided to include them all in one last genre list! It's time to pick... the "others."

What does this mean? EVERY genre that we have not covered is now eligible. Sports, Metroidvania, MMO, Music, Party, Rouge-likes, and Bullet Hells came to mind, but if there is another that falls into this mish-mash, please add it! Because we're tackling multiple genres for a single list, I'm upping the cap to 40 games and tweaking the franchise cap.

NOW: Here is a list of EVERY genre we've covered to date. ANY game that falls under ANY genre on this list is NOT eligible:

JRPG
    Action-Adventure
    Shooters (all of them)
    Platformers
    Racing
    Open-World
    Fighting
    Puzzle
    Strategy

As always - Quick rule refresher for potential new players:

Here's the breakdown: You've been given the power to green-light 40 games, but here's the catch: these 40 games will be the ONLY games that will be the examples of the remaining genres, going on to be classics in their respective categories. What should be the games that make the cut? By giving 40 select titles, you are essentially playing an inverse of Kill Your Babies.

You can only give one title until four people have added after you OR 12 hours have passed since the last overall addition, NOT NECESSARILY YOURS, so think really hard about which game should be on the list. It could be your favorite game, or if your favorite is already present, then you can add another you hold dear. Or if you have no love or interest for ANY of the eligible genres, get to trolling if it makes you happy.

To keep some diversity, AND because there are SO many genres I'm instituting a harsh franchise cap of ONE. NO DUPLICATE FRANCHISES.

Once you have given a game, please keep a running list going for the benefit of the next person that would like to play. Because I'm pitching the game, I will refrain from adding to the list unless absolutely necessary because it would be unfair for me to skew the list in my favor.

And so Allies, what are the definitive 40 games across all remaining genres?

Have fun!

• Hatoful Boyfriend

is not in any of the above categories
    Youtube Video

• Hatoful Boyfriend

Rock Band 3

The music party game. What more needs to be said.. I personally think 2 may have had more hype behind it at the time, but 3 was still an amazing culmination of rock music and innovation. I remember months worth of weekends jamming out with friends!

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon

You fight enemies... that are tiny bullets... that fire other guns at you. It's adorable and challenging. Plus, full of puns!

Also. Genres are going to get messy here people. Two games I wanted to add first (Spelunky and Rogue Legacy), I'd personally consider rogue-likes but Wikipedia considers them platformers. Fun.

• @Brannox have you done a list for announced but unreleased games yet?

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please

Bureacracy 'em ups at its finest

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A

Cyberpunk Bartender Action

• @CGamor7 That's a really good idea! I have not as every single time has been on games that people have actually played. But I'll note it down for a little later...

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Yu Narukami poppin and lockin is never unfunny.
    Youtube Video

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island

Let's get some adventure game love in here.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered

This proved to be a fun PS Plus game that brings me back to it every few weeks. I hope it doesn't fall under puzzle or strategy genres. You write words to attack monsters.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate

The list of forbidden genres only states JRPG, not RPG. So this one is valid, right? If not, I'll change it to something else.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Planescape: Torment

If Baldur's gate get's in, so does Planescape: Torment. My personal favorite of this type of RPG's.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home

This is the first "walking simulator" I played, and I still find myself happy thinking about my first impressions of it. I went in blind, and it totally served in how much I ended up enjoying it.

@Axel Maybe he just forgot? I can't imagine this WASN'T a genre in a previous list...

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent

It's surprising to me that we haven't actually done a horror game version yet since there are so many great ones. This one gets my vote for breathing life back into the survival horror genre and kicking off the YouTube careers of many well-known gamers. It really brought Lets Play-style content to the forefront and massively increased the popularity of playing through horror games with a facecam.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Rez

Fear is the mind killer.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Rez
    Nintendo Land

This one is so gonna get killed. But it was seriously great! The Animal Crossing game in particular.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Rez
    Nintendo Land
    NHL 2002

I still remember how my little brother got so angry when I beat his Buffalo with my Anaheim that he threw his controller to the ground, which caused a weird chinking sound to be heard afterwards as something had gotten loose inside there. Luckily it still worked so we could play again after he had cooled down. Wasn't propably that same day, though. :)

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Rez
    Nintendo Land
    NHL 2002
    Gitaroo Man

Let's try this one more time.

• Hatoful Boyfriend
    Rock Band 3
    Enter the Gungeon
    Papers Please
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Monkey Island
    Letter Quest Remastered
    Baldur's Gate
    Gone Home
    Rez
    Nintendo Land
    NHL 2002
    Gitaroo Man
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Eyoooooo, isn't in one of the banned genres! Love this game!