3DS Game Recommendations

• Picking up a New Nintendo 3DS XL and wanted to see what everyone thinks I should pickup.

So far, I have these titles on my "interested in" list:
    A Link Between Worlds
    Pokemon Sun and Moon
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Super Smash Bros.
    Bravely Default

• I strongly recommend A Link Between Worlds, I have a blast playing it, even though I don't really like the rent/buy items system, the wall mechanic is quite great and makes things very interesting.

I just started Bravely Default, it is quite fun, I haven't reached the point everyone complains about though, but I'd say it is worth it. I also really like Smash, and even somewhat prefer it to the Wii U version, Smash Run was always fun to play.

Don't have much experience with the other titles on the list, but if you like turn based RPGs I recommend checking the Etrian Odyssey demos on the eShop. If you never played them, look for the Etrian Odyssey Untold games, they are quite great for beginners. (there is also a Bravely Default demo which is good too)

• i just buy a used one and it came with the following games:
    The ones with a mark, are the ones that i think are relevant
    3DS (cartridge)

• New Super Mario Bros 2
    • The Legend of the Zelda A Link Between Worlds**
    • The Legend of the Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D**
    • The Legend of the Zelda Majora´s Mask 3D**
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Mariokart 7
    • Super Smash Bros**
      DS (cartridge)
    • Golden Sun Dark Dawn**
    • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    • Kingdom Hearts Recoded
      Virutal Console
    • Super Mario Bros
    • Super Mario Bros 2
    • Super Mario Bros 3
    • Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels
    • Super Mario World
    • The Legend of the Zelda A Link to the Past**
    • The Legend of the Zelda Oracle of Seasons**
    • Donkey Kong Country**
    • Pac Man
    • Pokemon Yellow**
    • Metroid
    • Super Metroid**
    • Ice Climber
    • Super C

Also, i might buy Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VII and VIII and maybe Shovel Knight due i haven't play it

hope this will help you

• +1 for A Link Between Worlds, for me it's the best 2D Zelda ever. + 1 for Pokemon Sun and Moon too, definitely better than X/Y.

I don't know what your experience with the Fire Emblem series is, but I would recommend Fire Emblem Awakening over Fates, it's got a much better story and is well suited to beginners (but still challenging if you don't grind or play on Hard).

Luigi's Mansion 2 is good fun, pretty long especially if you look for secrets, and one of the best showcases of the stereoscopic 3D screen.

Resident Evil Revelations is great and one of the best-looking games on the system, if you haven't played it on other platforms go for it.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, that was a launch title and it's a great top-down strategy game, similar to Fire Emblem but with only a handful of characters. Still holds up!

And on the eShop, get the Phoenix Wright games! Some of the most delightful dialog and storytelling ever.

• Super Mario 3D Land is a solid platformer with some really cool use of 3D! Also, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was a lot of fun (if you haven't already played the original on wii).

Regarding Bravely Default, I was one of the people who hard quit after that point, but keep in mind that it was about 30 hours into the game.. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. Just a shame that it had to squander its potential. I've heard Bravely Second is better, though. Not sure if you need to play the original to appreciate the sequel.

• Wow... Just looking at this list reminds me that the 3DS has a damn fine library. You already have some amazing games mentioned, including some very lengthy ones, so just see which ones fit your gaming style.

If you ever decide to take the plunge into Monster Hunter, I am always down to help someone get started in that franchise. MH4U provides the best entry point, and is my personal favorite. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but it greatly rewards you for sticking with it. At 300+ hours in each of the three 3DS titles, I still crave more.

• Before I recommend games, let me knock some things on your list.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I honestly think Pokemon XY and ORAS are more worth your time than Sun/Moon for various reasons. You're probably still interested in the newest game, so it makes sense you'd want Sun/Moon, but I think you should consider working you way up to it. The zeitgeist on it has already passed anyways, so no difference if you play it now or a bit later. There's also the rare chance that the rumors aren't BS about Sun/Moon getting a better version on Switch sometime in the next year, so there's that to think about. Just don't count on it.

Sorta opposite territory, Monster Hunter tends to release rather often, and it's probably not terribly long before the next one, so you might want to wait for that. Don't believe it's announced for the west yet, but one just came out in Japan recently called Monster Hunter XX which is basically an expanded version of Monster Hunter Generations, a game that already comes after 4 Ultimate in mainline Monster Hunter titles. This is very much a series where you want the latest and greatest.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is the worst way to play this game. Huber would use the word compromised. If you have a Wii U, you can buy the Wii version of the game for only 20 dollars. If not, emulation is honestly your best bet.

I'm not going to tell you not to get Fire Emblem Fates if that's the most interesting looking Fire Emblem to you, but you should also consider that Fire Emblem Echoes is releasing relatively soon and Fire Emblem Awakening is still a well regarded game you can get for real cheap now you can use as an entry point if you're unsure about the series.

Don't buy Smash Bros. for 3DS unless you want to break your 3DS's circle pad. It's not designed for fighting games like this and will quickly degrade if not break off entirely from playing this game. Get it on Wii U instead or wait in case they make an updated version for the Switch.

This post is already long, so I'll just lightning round recommendations and let you decide what you want and don't.

Harmoknight, Rune Factory 4, Etrian Odyssey Untold series, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Mario 3D Land, Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Sayonara Umihara Kawase for 3DS), Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and maybe take a look at Virtual Console for the Warioland series, Pokemon TCG, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons, etc.

• Code of Princess is pretty dope, but that may be because Guardian Heroes is objectively the best game ever made, and this is essentially a reskin of that.

• Ended up with:

Pokemon Sun
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Pokemon Moon
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Definetly picking up the new Fire Emblem, Pikmin and Layton games.

• I didn't have many 3DS games, but I quite enjoyed what I played. These are the games I recommend: Shovel Knight if you want something smaller to pick up anytime; Xenoblade Chronicles if you want an RPG with about 100 hours; Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask has nice puzzles; A Link Between Worlds has great gameplay.

• Picross 3D Round 2 is a great, relaxing puzzle game for those short play session

• unless you're super into RPG's 3DS is basically dead.

getting a Switch would be more worth your time.

@Mbun said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is the worst way to play this game. Huber would use the word compromised. If you have a Wii U, you can buy the Wii version of the game for only 20 dollars. If not, emulation is honestly your best bet.

oh god this. playing Xenoblade Chronicles on a 3DS is definitely the worst way to play this game. if you have a Wii U, buying it off the Virtual Console and playing it with the Wii U Gamepad is definitely the cheapest and comfiest way to play the game. (Wii remote & Nunchuk controls suck ass and the Wii U Gamepad is basically more comfy classic controller controls)

said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

Super Smash Bros.

this is another reason why getting a Switch would be more worth your time. Nintendo will probably re-release Smash Bros again on the Switch just like they did with Mario Kart with all the DLC and new characters added.

i'd say wait until at least E3 to see if they do announce Sm4sh for the Switch.

• @Yoshi said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

unless you're super into RPG's 3DS is basically dead.

getting a Switch would be more worth your time.

Getting a Switch in September maybe.

@Mbun said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

oh god this. playing Xenoblade Chronicles on a 3DS is definitely the worst way to play this game. if you have a Wii U, buying it off the Virtual Console and playing it with the Wii U Gamepad is definitely the cheapest and comfiest way to play the game. (Wii remote & Nunchuk controls suck ass and the Wii U Gamepad is basically more comfy classic controller controls)

Definitely don't have a Wii U. First handheld from Nintendo since the DS Lite and the first home console since Wii.

said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

Super Smash Bros.

this is another reason why getting a Switch would be more worth your time. Nintendo will probably re-release Smash Bros again on the Switch just like they did with Mario Kart with all the DLC and new characters added.

Oh, I'm sure they will at some point. That's why I'm waiting on Switch for at least another five months, if not an entire year more.

i'd say wait until at least E3 to see if they do announce Sm4sh for the Switch.
    Well, if you say my reply below, you know I got that.

• Picked up today:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf -- Welcome amiibo
    Bye-Bye BoxBoy!
    Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

• @BladedTech Nice. I've been playing through Specter Knight campaign myself, almost to the end now. Great stuff. New Leaf starts slow, but as you unlock stuff it'll open up bigtime. It's a game you can make as much or as little of as you care to.

• @Mbun said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

@BladedTech Nice. I've been playing through Specter Knight campaign myself, almost to the end now. Great stuff. New Leaf starts slow, but as you unlock stuff it'll open up bigtime. It's a game you can make as much or as little of as you care to.

I feel kinda guilty buying Shovel Knight for the third time (XB1, PS4 and now 3DS), but I really do enjoy it the most here. The console versions seem too "crisp", if that's a thing. The graphics just look closer to the 8-bit feel here. That said, though, the movement controls are just awful.

New Leaf impressions so far seem to be just a good old time. I have a feeling it'll go down somewhere similar to Pokemon Sun and Moon as some of my favorite 3DS games of all-time.

• @BladedTech I own it on Switch, so not sure how different that is, besides playing with a Switch Pro Controller which feels great. I feel like I'm one of the few who avoided buying it multiple times, because the first time I played Shovel Knight was through Steam Family Share of a friend for free. Had been meaning to buy it for ages, and the early release on Switch was the perfect excuse.

• Codename S.T.E.A.M is an underrated GEM for the 3ds if you like a bit of stratergy and you can probably get it really cheap.

• If you're a fan of the Final Fantasy series' music listing and like 'Parappa The Rapper'-esque games Theatrhythem Final Fantasy Curtain Call would be a good pick.

Also, if you like Ocarina of Time the 3DS version's a pretty good port/remastering so can't go wrong there.

And since you got a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL (as opposed to the standard, gotta upgrade one of these days but I digress), there's a decent selection of SNES titles in the Virtual Console section. Super Metroid being a top pick if you ask me.

• @ChaosBahamut said in 3DS Game Recommendations:

If you're a fan of the Final Fantasy series' music listing and like 'Parappa The Rapper'-esque games Theatrhythem Final Fantasy Curtain Call would be a good pick.

That's what I've been hearing. I just saw it on sale not too long ago, but now I'm buried in 3DS games LOL.

Also, if you like Ocarina of Time the 3DS version's a pretty good port/remastering so can't go wrong there.

Yeah, that's on the list, especially since it won't break the bank at $20 on the eShop.

And since you got a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL (as opposed to the standard, gotta upgrade one of these days but I digress), there's a decent selection of SNES titles in the Virtual Console section. Super Metroid being a top pick if you ask me.

I didn't pick up a New 3DS XL, because there's not enough stock near me, just the 2011 Red 3DS. However, Nintendo might get me to pick up the 2DS XL.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.