Persona 3: FES vs P3P

• @DisturbedSwan there's no reason to go for vanilla over FES unless you were interested in playing through all of the versions, FES can ussually be acquired cheaper as well, no idea about the PSN version, but all PSN games I've played have had no problems.

I'm pretty sure there's not a very easy option on either, I know there's an easy one but that's from what I can remember

• @DisturbedSwan I believe just Easy. Also, I'm gonna say if you've tackled two Persona games, it may be time to crank up the difficulty a little bit. The battle system is glorious in Persona 3 through 5, it's kinda hard to see it shine on lower difficulties - but play how you wanna play of course.

• Ah ok, cheers for the advise guys :)

• Honestly, P3P is my favorite game of all time. It feels like a visual novel when not battling, but I don't think that's a bad thing. And the Fem MC route is the only route I've completed, I might be biased towards it since I'm a girl myself but I really think it's worth trying. Not to mention, you can control the other party members in Portable. Long story short, it might not be for everyone, but if you don't mind the limited controls and want arguably the best protagonist in series history (sorry Maya), go with Portable.

• It was hard to get into P3P after playing P3 FES on the PS2. And getting absorbed into the world where you can physically roam around. Whereas P3P has this curosor icon thing instead.

At the same time, I've never even gotten half way done with a Persona game. P3P is certainly a treat for fans who want to see a female perspective, after playing through P3.

• As a more complete experience I'd say FES, although P3P isn't bad either with some of its gameplay refinements.

• @michemagius Well, I share the same bias, so it's a strong pull in that direction~

General consensus seems to be that FES is the way to go... I'm still torn though. I might just wind up playing both. Or trying both and returning whichever one I like less......

....Is what I would say if you could actually get refunds from the PSN store scrunchy face FES would still be returnable though so not a complete non-option.

Luckily both of these games are fairly cheap (I saw a hard copy of FES on Amazon for, like, $17, and there's a good chance a local store has an affordable copy as well).

• Finished P4 Golden last week and was having the same dilemma...

P3 FES is the full game story and gameplay wise, so i picked it

BUT...oh my god how ANNOYING the battle system can be, being able to control only the main character broke the game for me. I cant describe the frustration of watching Yukari miss a all-out-attack opportunity because she chose the wrong target to attack or did anything else. I decided to drop the game after the 1st boss.

The soundtrack is amazing tough, even better than P4G

P3P fixes the battle system but no cutscenes and the visual novel style are not for me. So there is no Persona 3 version for me and im fine with that, at least I tried.

• @michemagius I can't speak about relating more with the Fem MC, you know being a dude and all, but to bring back some praise to P3P, which I still absolutely consider worth playing, the ability to control everyone is indeed a great help (I was pretty sure you could do this in FES as well) and I think it is still very enjoyable overall.

And to reiterate an important fact that you kinda touched.

MINAKO IS ABSOLUTE BEST GIRL OF ALL!!!!

I don't care if she is protag or not Minako is the absolute best, I mean just look at her, ain't she just lovely.

alt text

Also you get to listen to the sweet Ways of Life if you play as fem MC

Youtube Video

• @bard91 I always listen to Ways of Life!

• @bard91
    Didn't they also make a few new cutscenes for the fem MC?

• @DMCMaster Not that I can remember, some were definitevely changed but I don't think it was for the best (some scenes with Yukari for example), and some social links with the FMC are much better, such as Saori and Rio, which are miles better than Kenji and the council guy whose names I always forget, sadly it also loses the Maya s. link which is easily one the best three out of all of the ones from P3

• This thread solidifies it. With the success of P5, Atlus needs to bring back the game with the closest tone to a modern audience in its best form - P3 Deluxe Edition Hyper Turbo Fun Times HD Re-Master Re-Collection Re-Imagined. All the joys of FES mixed with an optional female lead and being able to control all your characters in battle. Ken is removed from the game entirely and replaced with a Morgana plushie.

• FES is in my opinion the only way you should play this game. I was talking to someone on Discord who was playing P3P fresh off finishing Persona 5 and he was disappointed cause it was basically a visual novel. If you want that traditional Persona game go with FES.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    To be fair Atlus did register a ton of Persona related names the other week, Persona 3 Platnium Hyper Fighting Edition Turbo has to be one of them
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/20/atlus-registered-bunch-different-persona-domains/

• @SabotageTheTruth All joking aside I don't understand why they don't do it, I think that updating the graphics a bit and reworking some things (particularly some of the crappy S. Links) would do wonders, and they could do it like the Valkyria Remaster and sell it for $30

• Well, I just found out that Persona 3 has an anime.
    Might just watch it to see the whole story.

It was condensed into 4 movies, the last one came out last year.

Since I dont think it was licensed outside Japan yet, it easier to find fansubs out there.

DameDesuYo is one of these fansubbers, just google it

• @alanpk
    It is licensed thru Aniplex USA, so it's like $90 per standard edition.

• @alanpk Last I checked, one of them is on Netflix.

• @michemagius Really? If so, that's pretty cool. Netflix has been consistently surprising me with what's actually available on it in terms of anime.