Mario Kart 8 (NS/WiiU)

• To start this thread with a bit of framing, I skipped the Wii U. I did end up watching a lot of media about Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 though and wow does the former not translate fully in a video. I have a precise memory to the point where I had already watched laps of all of the tracks before buying the Deluxe version, but the overwhelming visuals and funky jazz soundtrack amazed me compared to what I was expecting.

And the game just feels... good. The HD rumble is very gratifying whenever you nail a boost jump, drift, or item toss. The controls too are very — but not totally — precise. It's like the good version of Mario Kart 7 with all the thrill of Fast RMX, and I haven't even tried the apparent train wreck that is 200 cc yet.

So, yeah, this is a perfect game on Switch and doesn't disappoint visually at all. It'd be cool if people could friend each other and start (or continue) racing.

• Global Moderator

I feel that if I ever get a switch, this will be one of the first games I buy, with Breath of the Wild

• I hope that by the time I get a Switch this will have gone down in price.
    Knowing Nintendo, it won't.

The girlfriend and I play it all the time on WiiU though. Would love to try out the new battle stages.

• It's quite wonderful. However, I already own it on Wii U, and I'm not one to double-dip, generally speaking. Battle Mode makes a case for owning it on Switch, as does the portability, but like @El-Shmiablo it comes down to pricing. Nintendo typically maintains high price points for successful first-party titles.

On a side note, one small thing I found myself enjoying was the ability to tinker with item settings. Sometimes it's been more enjoyable to limit certain items or remove them entirely. Leads to less of those bs-cheapshot-raging moments.

• I'm in the same boat as @Billy, I can't bring myself to buy it again after playing it so much on Wii U. But for those who skipped the Wii U, this is very clearly a system-seller, easily the best Mario Kart ever. So cynics can finally stop saying the Switch only has one game.

• I loved Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and Deluxe was a day one purchase for me just to be able to play it on the go.

• Global Moderator

Not sure to make a thread or keep it here. I want to do a community Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament.

• @Swordfish00830 Well wherever you put it, I want in XD. What day were you thinking of, if not time zone/period?

• just a quick question, the game has crossplay?

• @LordBaztion Nope, you can't play against Switch players with the WiiU version of the game.

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 I was thinking this weekend

• @Swordfish00830 make a seperate thread about this tourney to make it more organized. also spread the word to twitch chat and discord. It should be fun :)

• @Killstriker thank you

• In a weird way Mario Kart 7 is the most feature complete Mario Kart. It doesn't have the anti grav boost pillars from 8, but 8 actually doesn't have the half pipe tricks and boosts that Wii and 7 did. I still think 7 plays like dirt comparatively. One of the most frustrating games on 3DS IMO.

alt text

Now it's time for a highly particular, retrospective-heavy rant. After playing 8 I am thirsty for that caliber of track remaster for Moonview Highway from Mario Kart Wii. I love Toad's Turnpike for the full size car dodging, but in actuality it is just a figure 8 highway in a canyon floating in the middle of a boundless void with a city skybox even after the remaster.

I love Mushroom City in Double Dash, but it's just a lot of wide streets and not too much going on aesthetically (though it is legitimately epic context that its cityscape is the skybox of Rainbow Road GCN). The same goes for Mushroom Bridge GCN, which is — well it's pretty great let's be honest — but it doesn't have that nighttime city road vibe to it. However, Double Dash did get the cars right. The mushroom and bomb car are both really smart ideas, the later of which was brought back in Moonview Highway.

Moonview Highway itself is great because it encompasses a journey. Racers drive from the forested highway across a bridge into the red-lit city streets, across a lot of boost pads, through a tunnel, and through a toll gate out onto the secluded highway. It's nearly everything I want from a Mario Kart track, and a remaster or new track hitting upon the same concepts could make it amazing.

In terms of additions, it just needs to feel denser. Obviously and current gen version could have the same nerve-wracking vehicle density of MK8 Toad's Turnpike. Then the traffic could thin out as you head out into the country like it sometimes does in Toad's Turnpike. Another way to heighten this feel it to make the course a little more intricate than a vague rectangle. Some alternate routes, short cuts, and skyscraper-bordered streets like Mushroom City could do a lot to make it feel denser. And of course, mushroom and bomb cars from several of the Double Dash courses would provide very interactive obstacles along with the glider ramp cars from Toad's Turnpike in Mario Kart 8.

That's about the extent of my thoughts, I hope you're picking up what I'm putting down if you've read this far.

• Been playing quite a lot since I got it on Friday, exclusively Online Race.

Played for 2-3 hours on Friday with the old man, another few hours later in the evening, more the next morning then I played it drunk when I got in last night :lol:

So yeah, haven't been able to put it down for long truth be told, that crack level addictiveness of MK is definitely still here in spades, constantly find myself saying 'just one more race', 'must end the session on a high' and things like that.

Been tougher than expected to get into the swing of things, took me a hell of a long time before I eventually won a race, was usually running 7th-10th (playing it drunk doesn't help things either) but seem to of got better today and have been finishing 1st-4th most of the time.

Not tried the battle mode yet to be honest, don't remember playing it much on the N64 so I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not, will give it a go but race will always been my main priority.

As far as negatives go, had lots of issues getting disconnected from races, changed my DNS settings and that seems to of rectified the issue, unfortunately I'm not able to join friends games though :( (tried to join Bellow earlier to no avail), just gives me a 'couldn't connect to users console' error message so that's been quite annoying.

As for the two items 'controversy' (if you can even call it that), I haven't really had an issue with it, I've not played against AI at all but up against humans it's pretty inoffensive really, it does mean that if you get battered by a shell etc. you can easily get battered by another 5-6 karts as they go past which can put you down to 10th-12th if you're unlucky.

But the same works both ways really, if you get a great combination you can rocket from 10th-2nd. One of the races I had earlier, I think it was the Cloud map (I forget its name) I was sitting in 10th, feeling a bit sorry for myself, got lightning and the canon, went all the way from 10th to 2nd, felt incredibly cheeky but I loved it, the reverse is true as well of course, seen folks fly past me as the canon as I was approaching the finish and snatch 3rd/4th etc. away from me.

• I was super hesitant to buy this again since I had MK on Wii U and played it a bunch, but I could not deny myself the fun of the zeitgeist of getting it day one. I do not regret getting the second version because in just a minute in I remembered how much I loved the original. I definitely would not immediately recommend it to people who had it on Wii U, it's only if you really loved the original. If you never owned it on Wii U, it's a must have Switch game, no question.

Battle mode has never been a big deal to me, another reason why I wasn't sure about getting MK8D since battle mode is basically the main selling point for people who already owned the game. But online it's amazing, the most fun I have ever had in MK battle mode. Though I am getting annoyed that I never get to be the renegade in Renegade round up, I'm always made the police, which I don't find as fun. But I'm just being unlucky there.

Also being a huge fan of Splatoon and the Inklings, having them in this game is so right! Looking at my stats the Inkling Girl is my most used character. It's hard to deny the cuteness.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.