Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread

• @Whoaness I get where you're coming from, but I still think Nintendo did well. To me, so long as the NX is going to stay projected for Spring 2017, it seems that they had the foresight to not show the NX in the midst of all of this Scorpio/Neo news, and staying out of all the inevitable console comparisons throughout all of E3. My guess is that they're essentially done with making Wii U games and have shifted focus towards NX games, but are holding back on those for when they do officially announce the NX.

I know that I'm looking on the optimistic side of things, and you can definitely view it as that they're just not ready in the slightest, but that's how I see it at least. They had the guts just give people one long demo into their most Nintendo anticipated game (being cross-platform), and not divulge in showing everything they have planned for next year while everyone is talking about the upgraded consoles. Plus, people seem to have loved the Zelda demo and are able to call it quality, and I think pulling off a one-game-show counts for something.

But still, I see your point since it is essentially quality vs. a quantity of quality at this point, Playstation definitely had a great lineup that I'm also pumped for. I just like to play the optimist when it comes to Nintendo.

• @Jamicov said in Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread:

@Whoaness I get where you're coming from, but I still think Nintendo did well. To me, so long as the NX is going to stay projected for Spring 2017, it seems that they had the foresight to not show the NX in the midst of all of this Scorpio/Neo news, and staying out of all the inevitable console comparisons throughout all of E3. My guess is that they're essentially done with making Wii U games and have shifted focus towards NX games, but are holding back on those for when they do officially announce the NX.

I know that I'm looking on the optimistic side of things, and you can definitely view it as that they're just not ready in the slightest, but that's how I see it at least. They had the guts just give people one long demo into their most Nintendo anticipated game (being cross-platform), and not divulge in showing everything they have planned for next year while everyone is talking about the upgraded consoles. Plus, people seem to have loved the Zelda demo and are able to call it quality, and I think pulling off a one-game-show counts for something.

But still, I see your point since it is essentially quality vs. a quantity of quality at this point, Playstation definitely had a great lineup that I'm also pumped for. I just like to play the optimist when it comes to Nintendo.

We wouldn't let off Sony or Microsoft for the same reason. If they are purposefully making a game lineup drought to save games for their next console, we'd grill them badly.

There's also no reason to save announcements. Sony announces games that probably won't show up for years. It doesn't matter. For Sony, specifically, there are always exclusive games throughout the year for every year, so they can announce games far into the future to get us excited. We don't need a reminder of what games are coming like what Microsoft does. Nintendo could show off all of their games for NX at E3 and we would be happier. The thing is, do they even have games other than Zelda? I really don't think they resolved their third party issue, so I remain skeptical that Nintendo has games ready.

• I'm convinced that blender box means something.

• @Whoaness But we did grill Nintendo, when they announced that Zelda would be 95% of what they talk about and the only game on the show floor with no NX in sight. I think most people thought the worst and did grill them for all that. Plus, I think it's circumstantial. If Sony/Microsoft were in similar situations where they were gearing up for a new console that looks to be a sort of correction course for previous mistakes, then we would be in similar situations. But they aren't under those same circumstances. If Sony came out and said they're only showing Horizon, then yeah, we'd grill them, because they already have this lineup built of games we know about that people expect to see, they're successful enough that they don't need to pull off a one-game-show. Nintendo seems to be, for lack of a better term, in more dire straits, which is why they played E3 this way.

I also disagree that there's no reason to save announcements. It affects people's outlook on a game or console, whether it's too late, or more commonly, too early. Kingdom Hearts is suffering from a certain amount of public perception because they announced that game 3 years ago, and we still have no idea when it's coming out. People are still gonna be hyped for the game, especially when they do give a release date, but it will definitely leave a mark on people's outlook of a studio. Last Guardian is similar, where it was announced so long ago, and now that it's finally coming out, it's been so talked up that I don't see it living up to the unrealistic levels of hype built around it. Even Sony is saving announcements with Neo, they seemingly knew that this E3 wasn't the place to talk about it for the first time, and instead are saving it for a later date.

I think there is a benefit to saving announcements. They may not have other games ready to show, both first and third party, which is a completely viable reason for not showing off the NX, but it's also the circumstances of this E3. Showing off the NX and whatever games they have planned for it would inevitably be held up to a microscope beside not only the PS4/Xbox One, but Scorpio and Neo, which could hurt them in the long run, so they may intentionally be saving those announcements for when they aren't competing for attention all in the same space and at the same time.

• @Jamicov said in Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread:

@Whoaness But we did grill Nintendo, when they announced that Zelda would be 95% of what they talk about and the only game on the show floor with no NX in sight. I think most people thought the worst and did grill them for all that. Plus, I think it's circumstantial. If Sony/Microsoft were in similar situations where they were gearing up for a new console that looks to be a sort of correction course for previous mistakes, then we would be in similar situations. But they aren't under those same circumstances. If Sony came out and said they're only showing Horizon, then yeah, we'd grill them, because they already have this lineup built of games we know about that people expect to see, they're successful enough that they don't need to pull off a one-game-show. Nintendo seems to be, for lack of a better term, in more dire straits, which is why they played E3 this way.

I also disagree that there's no reason to save announcements. It affects people's outlook on a game or console, whether it's too late, or more commonly, too early. Kingdom Hearts is suffering from a certain amount of public perception because they announced that game 3 years ago, and we still have no idea when it's coming out. People are still gonna be hyped for the game, especially when they do give a release date, but it will definitely leave a mark on people's outlook of a studio. Last Guardian is similar, where it was announced so long ago, and now that it's finally coming out, it's been so talked up that I don't see it living up to the unrealistic levels of hype built around it. Even Sony is saving announcements with Neo, they seemingly knew that this E3 wasn't the place to talk about it for the first time, and instead are saving it for a later date.

I think there is a benefit to saving announcements. They may not have other games ready to show, both first and third party, which is a completely viable reason for not showing off the NX, but it's also the circumstances of this E3. Showing off the NX and whatever games they have planned for it would inevitably be held up to a microscope beside not only the PS4/Xbox One, but Scorpio and Neo, which could hurt them in the long run, so they may intentionally be saving those announcements for when they aren't competing for attention all in the same space and at the same time.

That was before the show, not during or after. I think they got off with zero flak for having no games but Zelda and Pokemon. I know journalists are head over heels for Zelda, but I'd rather emphasize the lack of games from Nintendo.

When I was talking about saving announcements, I mean for the entire console. Kingdom Hearts itself might have suffered, but that has no bearing to how well the PlayStation 4 is doing. Sony showed off 8 exclusives, and 7 of them aren't coming anytime soon, but, who cares, they got exclusives going on all year long in the meantime. We have games to play while Kingdom Hearts finishes development. You can't say the same for Nintendo. Their last big game was a terrible Star Fox game.

And I disagree about the Neo comment. First, they showed off 8 exclusives at the conference. That's already a lot of games. Second, they said the games aren't ready, so why bother announcing anything. That is absolutely true for Sony, which is mindboggling why Microsoft came out with a fluff concept trailer of dev talk. Remember when Sony revealed the PS4? They showed some specs, some concepts, but they had games to show. They didn't even have the hardware displayed and they were showing games first. That's how Sony works. Games before the hardware because that's how you show off a console.

• I really have to agree with Bosman when he says that Sony held the classiest press conference ever. They really knocked it out of the park, which is very surprising considering the kind of games they had to announce. In my opinion, Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FF7 remake beat RE7, Kojima, and God of War. I think Sony knew that too. They knew that they could not possibly out do themselves when it came to huge announcements, but in they still managed to make it feel exciting. When they looked at the game announcements, they devised a plant that would accentuate each announcement. God of War? Orchestra. 'Nuff said.

• @Whoaness But Nintendo already has an NX event planned for later this year. Why would they undermine themselves by revealing a bunch of NX stuff at E3, where they also have to compete with Microsoft and Sony, while simultaneously taking the wind out of their event later this year? Who cares what the press has to say about the Wii U at this point; Nintendo sure doesn't. They're laser focused on getting this NX launch right, and I honestly think it's going to blow people away. This NX event is going to be wild, and part of the reason for that is because we have zero idea of what we're getting into yet, beyond Zelda and Just Dance.

• @Inflorescence said in Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread:

@Whoaness But Nintendo already has an NX event planned for later this year. Why would they undermine themselves by revealing a bunch of NX stuff at E3, where they also have to compete with Microsoft and Sony, while simultaneously taking the wind out of their event later this year? Who cares what the press has to say about the Wii U at this point; Nintendo sure doesn't. They're laser focused on getting this NX launch right, and I honestly think it's going to blow people away. This NX event is going to be wild, and part of the reason for that is because we have zero idea of what we're getting into yet, beyond Zelda and Just Dance.

Because E3 is where they need to make their mark. If they can't get 3rd party developers on board, it's going to be another Wii U. E3 is where all the developers are at. They need to show off the NX and start talking to developers.

And Sony has 4 conferences to contend with while showing off many exclusives and new games for E3. "Saving" announcement for later conferences in the year is just no excuse.

• @Whoaness You don't tell developers at E3; you need developers to make an E3. How else would a company reveal a launch lineup?

• Just in case you want to see what Kyle used to do during college, here's the link to the archives: http://ictv.org/archives/category/danceonfriday/

• @Inflorescence said in Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread:

@Whoaness You don't tell developers at E3; you need developers to make an E3. How else would a company reveal a launch lineup?

I umm don't entirely understand your first sentence, but showing off the consoles capabilities with your own games will let other developers know how powerful it is and what kind of bar the console is setting. When Sony announced the PS4, they showed off Killzone, and it was insanely pretty. First party plays a role model to the rest of the industry when setting standards for the new generation.

If Nintendo is going to have to do exactly that to convince developers and consumers to be onboard with the NX. Right now, I look at Zelda, compared to God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Watch Dogs 2, Zelda just doesn't even stand a chance graphically.

• I just think that since Bosman has done all the hard work of putting every clip with "experience" in it into a nice montage, somebody out there should turn it into a tune for Bosman v Wozniak

• While I miss Kyle's show not being an official part of the Easy Allies, I think it makes more sense considering his style. I remember him once saying that he doesn't like putting out an episode if he think's its like a "C-", and would rather do a "First 15" instead until he had something better to say.

Since these episodes are now on his own channel, he can do them at his own speed whenever he feels he has something to say, and if he doesn't then he isn't forced to produce an episode. While I loved most episodes of Final Bosman, I think that this style will lead to a higher consistent level of good quality moving forward, and I'm excited to see what comes next.

• @Mite Now that you mention it.. I'd love to see something like First Fifteen again. I guess they don't have access to the GT library anymore but I loved those episodes. Could work as a stream too.. maybe play 30 minutes or so and discuss

• @Faaip I really enjoyed First 15 as well, but you're right when saying it was tied to having that massive GT library. I feel like Kyle's "Dumb Game Monday" streams help fill that void though.

• Definitely enjoyed this episode. It's great to see how relaxed Kyle is during these.

• @Mite Ah that's true.. I haven't been able to catch one of those yet.

• @iconmaster said in Bosman at Home - Official Discussion Thread:

I'm convinced that blender box means something.

I want to see long threads about the mysteries and secret meanings of everything in these vids now.

What can the blender mean?

• @Faaip @Mite I would love a Huber and Bowman tripped to gamestop picking some dumb game. I dunno if they could film that though

• @RyanBates I'm pretty sure GameStop absolutely wouldn't let them film. Maybe some independent place would though. I live in LA county like they do and know of at least one place right near me that seems like it has pretty good selection with retro and newer stuff, but I don't know what their stance on filming would be.