• Global Moderator

@BenMoore

I super highly reccomend the following:

Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyodai)

Tatami Galaxy

Gankutsuo: Count of Monte Christo

Nana

Princess Jellyfish

I promise these won't disappoint. With the exception of Monte Christo, which is just a amazing looking scifi retelling of the classic story, all the others are all more or less about the struggles of adulthood in various forms. Nothing super crazy, no martial arts tournament arcs, just human drama and feels in the best ways.

• Another addition to the list:

Aldnoah Zero Season 1
    Aldnoah Zero Season 2
    Ga-Rei: Zero

• I remember Ben saying he liked comedy, so only recommending shows that are heavily comedic, even if they don't revolve around it. This helps me narrow down titles anyways.

Seto no Hanayome: This is probably the funniest anime I've ever watched period.

Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san: This is an absolute classic. The story is ridiculous, and the best part is the entire series is subbed on Youtube easily available.

Bakemonogatari: There is actually a collection of anime series and movies associated with this. They're all worth watching. Look up the order or tweet me if you need help with it. Also, this is one of those shows that seems way worse than it is if you google image search it, because of course the most pervy scenes are what everyone passes pictures of around even though there's way more to this one than fanservice.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: This show shaped who I am as a person. Intense enough much? Basically, it is a show about dark comedy, about how messed up the world is. Instead of taking an edgy negative approach to conveying that, it encourages you to find the humour in how truly twisted our lives are.

Arakawa under the Bridge: Rich guy becomes indebted to a girl who lives under a bridge as part of a bigger community of weirdos. He moves in to fufill her wish and repay his debt to her.

Haré+Guu: Another classic. This show plays with your expectations.

Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan: Ever see a wolf girl named Liru and wonder where she came from? This cult hit is the answer. Don't believe the tone of the opening. This is straight up slice of life comedy.

Detroit Metal City: Look it up. It's as ridiculous as it seems.

B Gata H Kei: Not Gentai.

Edit: Added "previews" if you click the anime titles. Most are OPs, except some songs for the ones I couldn't get the OP of and Sexy Commando links directly to the first batch of episodes on Youtube. Mild sexual content warning if that kind of thing bothers you.

• House of 5 leaves: mature, samurai, ronin, action, plot, deep character progression, psychological, anti heroes. A pretty underrated series, with a different art style, which is quite unique in it's own way. The story is simple, we have a swordsman who needs work, and when desperate, willing to work for the strangest things.
    alt text

YES DUDE! I forgot about Saraiya-Goyou, such an underrated and beautiful gem! Great recommendation!

• my god just saw ep. 15 of Re:Zero dam.... show keeps getting better and better

• I can't believe I forgot, but Persona 4 the Animation (original, not Golden), and the Persona 3 movies are great. He likes the games that they're based on so I'm sure Ben would enjoy these anime.

• I fell behind on this

• Wait. Has no-one suggested Barakamon yet?
    It's like the perfect mix of slice of life and comedy in a rural setting. A genius calligrapher punches someone in the face at an exhibition for getting called "uninspired" and is sent by his father as punishment on a remote island where he needs to reflect on his behaviour. He then gets surrounded by funny cute and quirky characters. It's very fun and heartwarming.

• I wonder if Ben is going to watch the new Dangan Ronpa anime that airs this season given that it closes the book on the Hope's Peak academy arc.

• I recommend this anime to Ben Moore:

alt text

http://www.crunchyroll.com/bananya

• @Whoaness Ben should do a Kyle and make a dumb anime review show - Bananya would be perfect for the debut :P

• Oh man a Easy Allies anime review show would be great!

• This is such a genius / hilarious thread, beating Ben over the head with anime suggestions. I'll spice things up with two flavors of ramen:

Miso: Savory Classic

alt text

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

It's got romance. It's got tragedy. It's got mechs, cartoonish villains talking in eerily-lit corridors, and supernatural powers; tragic pasts, terrorism, and political intrigue; and Japanese high school students, apropos-of-nothing fanservice, and giant futuristic mecha. This is the best anime I've even seen. It has a downright gratuitous amount of animation without looking dated (the mechs are animated in 2D too). More than that though, it's got a fabulous plot with characters who actually talk to each other while they're not heavily involved in the storyline. Basically every character is well developed with a satisfying arc that resolves their character within the 50 episodes. Not to mention Johnny Yong Bosch, who absolutely steals the show as Lelouch (this is one to watch dubbed—it's very very good).

Udon: Hipster Zest

alt text

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is a anime that everyone should have watched, but basically no one has watched. It's anachronistic: The setting is feudal Japanese fantasy, but the music reminds me of a 80s Spielberg movie. The animation is beautiful, of course, with gleaming sword fights and peaceful mountain hikes alike. It's 26 episodes, It's on Netflix: there is no excuse.