Describe Your Taste in Games Using Only 5 Titles!

• I want to know what all of you guys consider to be your taste in games. Try and describe it using 5 games. They don't have to be your all time favorites, but should cover the range of genres that you enjoy!

I'll go first:

Katamari Damacy
    Persona 3 Portable
    A Hat In Time (Beta)
    Okami
    Pokemon Black 2

• Bayonetta (representing the hack & slays)
    Senran Kagura Estival Versus (representing weeb shit)
    Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith (representing bullet hell shmups)
    Final Fantasy VII (representing JRPGs)
    Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (representing japanese action adventures)

• Final Fantasy Tactics
    Trails in the Sky
    Dark Souls
    NHL 2k5
    Need For Speed Underground 2

• Banned

Final Fantasy IX
    Mass Effect 2
    Mega Man Legends
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
    The Witcher 3

I like 3rd Person Action Adventure games with memorable characters and interesting settings. There, are you happy?!

• The Dig
    Life is Strange
    Gone Home
    Still-Life
    Silent Hill

I like a real wide variety of things, but I didn't want to go really random as I think you need some noticeable connections for it to start to describe you. 5 was tricky, but I think these do quite a good job at describing my taste and are definately some of my all time favourites at the same time.

Adventure clearly pulls me in, especially with a Sci-Fi twist. They show I'm a sucker for unraveling a good Mystery and that I love to play detective in some way, shape or form; add in something spooky, haunting or supernatural and you definately have my attention.

I would have added FF8 to bridge a small gap if I were allowed six. It has a lot of elements I clearly enjoy, but also shows that a little bit of teen/highschool drama is a hard thing to resist.

• :decided to edit my list to provide reasons because what's the point otherwise?

-Dodonpachi
    (games as technical accomplishment, games as mediums for satisfaction/challenge, games as mechanical proficiency)
    -Harmony Summer Hardpack Tape 11 in 1
    (games as non-games, games as personal expression, games as inversions of their own conventions, games as a unique aesthetic property)
    -Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
    (games as art, games as a mystical thing I've never even experienced, games as cult items, games as a space for creators and a history for these creators to exist within)
    -Minesweeper
    (games as a persistent fixture in digital language, games as a part of collective consciousness, games as an activity equally passive and rigorous)
    -Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube
    (games as community, games as sport, games as an ever-changing landscape)

• Shrek Kart
    Shrek Smash n' Crash Racing
    Shrek SuperSlam
    Shrek 2: Beg for Mercy
    Shrek Extra Large

• @Mbun i gotta get back into the .hack games i got the first 4 never finished them

• Ocarina of Time
    Devil May Cry 3
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Phantasy Star Online
    Wild Guns

• alt text

Make it linear, make me care, make the environments nature-centric, put in some puzzles, make hitting things feel good — and I'm going to need more puzzles.

TLoZ: Twilight Princess
    TES: Skyrim
    The Last of Us
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Monster Hunter Tri

• Nights into Dreams
    Night in the Woods
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
    Yakuza 5

I have two things I really want in my games when I get down to it: Short, awesome games that leave a mark, and chances to just get lost in a different (or not-so-different) world and unwind a bit. Sometimes they combine though and I just lose 100 hours to something magical.

• Kingdom Hearts
    Legend of Dragoon
    Dark Souls
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Monster Hunter 4

Great topic! Would be a fun L&R game.

• Not my top 5 games, but the ones that just about cover what I like

Pokemon Gold/Silver - Comfort food
    Final Fantasy 3 - Pure and simple with hidden depth and good customization
    Uncharted 2 - strong storytelling
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - Strong combat that lets you fight with your friends
    Mario Kart - Fight your friends

• Donkey Kong Country
    Dark Souls
    Mass Effect 2
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

• @FF7Cloud said in Describe Your Taste in Games Using Only 5 Titles!:

@Mbun i gotta get back into the .hack games i got the first 4 never finished them

Same here. I was at the end of the second one and struggling with the boss. Then one of my college roommates stole my memory card and I didn't want to start over. Still think about picking them back up at 3 though and just finishing it off!

• Persona 5
    Undertale
    Final Fantasy 7
    Silent Hill 2
    Transistor

I like stories about broken characters that use fantastic soundtracks as a backdrop. Gotta have some chill tunes to go along with your inner turmoil.

alt text

• Victoria 2 (Real life based SLOW strategy games)

Banjo Kazooie (Pure quality and jolly fun)

Nier (Good stories that demand more of me than just being a passive observer)

Catherine (Yep I haven't seen that before)

Persona 5 (or 3 or 4, RPGs in general that really make me care about the characters)

• Mass Effect 3
    Katamari Damacy
    Super Mario Bros 2
    Kingdom Hearts
    Phantasy Star IV

I love story games, especially ones where I can make choices or get to know characters. I also adore fun cute games.

That being said I also will play almost anything else, but it tends to be the RPGs and platformers/puzzlers that get played the most.

• This is a great idea @michemagius! Thanks for creating this thread.

For me, I won't include my overall top 5, but the first five that represent unique genres

Final Fantasy VII
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    DOOM II
    Kingdom Hearts
    Gears of War 2

For me, you can tell my tastes are eclectic, yet particular. I guess when it comes down to it, the overwhelming majority of the games have either great story/characters, gameplay, or a combination of both. This is tough to narrow to five games, but there is NOTHING said about honorable mentions for genres ;-)

So not having a third person cartoonish duo with crazy unique weaponry, a first person puzzler with a mad female A.I., and a four-player co-op run and gun survival horror title actually completes the broad gambit. But five games are listed so...