Controversial opinion on EZA

• Mod Note -
    When you're on the EZA forums on a more sensitive topic it's understandable that things could get heated.

Stick to discussing the post and not the poster please. L&R

• All I want is shorter videos in general, A long podcast is great and suits the format, but hours upon hours of discussions in every new show is just not for me, so I find myself watching less and less EZA. I jump with joy when a video under 60 minutes is uploaded. a few examples, The movie discussion seems unorganized and random, and i have other outlets for that (better and more pro, sorry folks), so I was bored after 15 minutes, and Frame Trap is just too many hours. I don't have a craving for hours of filler, id rather want less than 1 hours content a week, if it makes it all more focused. A show like Zelda talk I don't care about at all, but its there for the people that really like Zelda talking, so fine by me. I think i'm trying to say that EZA shouldn't make the content longer just to make us feel like we get the moneys worth. L&R

• @CylinderOfLeaves I have to agree at least when it comes to Frame Trap. Those three and a half hour sessions are just crazy. I used to watch it from beginning to the end for a long time, until February - March, I think, but around when Zelda started to become a topic I just suddenly found myself asking "why am I listening this over an hour long part about a game I won't even play?". From that episode on for two months now I've been skipping a lot of Frame Trap and just listened to the parts about the games I'm actually interested (+ Hottake and emails). That way I can usually squeeze the podcast into 60 - 90 minutes, which feels much better, to be honest.

Another thing is Fiasconauts. I LOVE the show, but I just like the two-hour episodes way more. I mean when you see the lenght being around three hours it kinda takes a lot to jump in with the show. It's very seldom that I even have the time or interest to watch movies that are three hours.

• @CylinderOfLeaves @Sentinel-Beach I've definitely started watching a lot of their long format discussions at x1.5 speed to shave off some of the time. When a three hour Frame Trap is suddenly two it's a little more digestible but I also have a job where I can listen to podcasts all day which means my situation is very different than most.

• @CylinderOfLeaves @Sentinel-Beach yeah I agree with both of you. For ppl that don't have as much time, some of the EZA content can be overwhelming. I have personally got to the point where I look at time stamps and skip to what I want or in the case of frame trap I just stopped watching it. As much as I appreciate the banter or the off the cuff conversations I think sometimes it can over extend the conversation. I actually think KindaFunny does a good job with this. They break their videos into segments that make sense and have a logical flow. sometimes I would prefer more structure at times or else I feel like it's wasting my time and I turn it off. but I'm happy they at least give time stamps!

The funny thing is, this goes back to the reason why I created this thread. I prefer the scripted creative type videos that tell a narrative and have a purpose. Over all though the EZA podcast is structured well and isn't to long so I usually stick to that.

• I really love Frame Trap and it's more casual approach to podcasts, but I rarely watch them as there's never enough time. Even when the main podcast is pushing 2+ hours means I have to plan time into the week to get the show watched.

I'd love more shows like Don's Discount Gaming, which are easier to digest because of their shorter lengths.

• @logic__error that's a good point. I'm sure lots do that. At school I would literally see students on a dual monitor setup sitting with their work in one window, Facebook in another, google in another and a podcast, video, movie or anime in another. Not sure how ppl do it lol.

Even if I could do that, one of my issues is that I like to sit and pay full attention to it lol. I literally stop everything I'm doing to watch them. I don't even listen to their podcasts I watch them since I'm very visual. So I try from time to time to have it on in the background but it doesn't work for me. I miss everything because I'm focused on whatever im doing at the time.

• @CGamor7 I do photo editing so often it is pretty mindless and I can pay attention to a podcast or a not so great tv show just fine out of the corner of my eye. I totally understand what you mean though, work and a podcast/show are my limit for multitasking and I like to pay attention. I usually have the video up as well so I can glance over at it but sometimes that means pausing when I need to read my edit list or backing up a minute or two because I got distracted by work. I guess that's why I'm also okay with so much discussion stuff but I know if there is so much discussion that I'm feeling overwhelmed, most people have it way worse.

• I've been holding back from posting but on the subject what specifically I watch from EZA helps I think in managing the amount.

Simply put, there is a great amount of content I don't watch because it doesn't appeal to me.

What I DO watch:
    The EZA Podcast - It is the cornerstone (for me) of their brand, has several Allies, covers news, play little games, and gets the community involved.

FrameTrap - It is strictly specific-video game discussion and in a long, yet free form format that I quite enjoy.

Community Comments - It is, bar none and hands down, my absolute favorite EZA video. Learning what others are feeling and thinking about, be it a specific game or a (at the time) current even in the industry is always a treat.

Reviews - It is their primary opinion on all of the biggest games, and smaller ones that deserve attention as well.

Retrospectives/Game Sleuths - It is a historical and investigative take on video games I really don't see anywhere else, and as a history fan, these are really high up on my list.

Monthly Q&A - It is another great community interaction piece that provides the opportunity to get to know the Allies a tiny bit better.

Cup of Jones - It is a video that has three aspects that I really appreciate: Potential updates on EZA business/production, another avenue of community engagement, and an editorial which, for the most part, have dealt with serious topics, and I really appreciate that.

Don's Discount Gaming - It is a wonderful insight in the least visable of the Allies and even though they are few and far between like Retros and GS, their quality is something I'm a huge fan of

What I SOMETIMES watch (dependent upon topic):
    Huber Syndrome/Talking Syndrome - There have been a few topics I pass on as they don't appeal to me, but things like Allies' Favories and Backlog are good watches.

Easy Update - While I really enjoy its unique style and the music is incredible, there are focuses that are not for me. Home Sweet Home, Don & Ian go to Hell, and the one about playing that cardboard box game are FANTASTIC, but tabletop things (spoilers) and certain games just don't click.

Spoiler Mode - There has only been one, and I enjoyed it, but until there are more, I can't say whether or not I would watch many or most. Don't think I will though.

Don't Skip - What I said for Spoiler Mode applies here.

Streams - I only really watch Group Streams now-a-days, and even then for games that mostly seem fun to watch. Example: Didn't watch this week's in full because I'm not into basketball video games, but I always skip ahead to presents. And a good thing I stayed through the VOD as there was a nice surprise at the end.

Things I DON'T watch:
    Tabletop Escapades - Not into tabletop
    EZAnime - Not into Anime
    Fiasconauts - Not into this kind of sketch stuff
    Reaction Shots - Not into movies all that much
    Friend Code - Not a fan of Nintendo
    Zelda Talk - Not a fan of Zelda

I have put all of this here so everyone can understand where I'm coming from:

It's all dependent on A.) What you prioritize is worth what free time you have and B.) I understand that I'm probably in a position where I can consume the really long stuff in an environment that allows it.

From what I watch, I don't mind lengthy stuff, but I know I have to plan out, "Okay, a three and a half hour FrameTrap dropped this week. What day can I schedule the time to fully dedicate to it?"

Also what I think is an important detail that applies to me is spacing. FrameTrap only comes once every two weeks. The Podcast is once a week. Reviews are random. The Q&A only once a month. Retros/Game Sleuths, are too infrequent to be a problem schedule wise. Cup of Jones and Community Comments, while in theory are at least once-a-month things, are backed up (in a sense) where like Retros/GS's, they aren't too burdensome. And finally Don's Discount Gaming is so few I never expect them, so I consider them a bonus surprise if one reveals itself.

Again, I am FULLY aware that my situation is unique so I expect to be in the minority in saying: I enjoy everything I do as it currently is: Length, format, topics, etc.

Over the course of this post, I've tried EXTREMELY hard to make sure I'm not saying ANYTHING that could be misconstrued, because I don't want a repeat of the above de-evolution.

In summary: I'm fine with how things are, and if they bring new stuff, while it wouldn't make sense to me without at least it replacing pre-existing programming, I will support EZA, regardless of whether or not I watch it.

If you've read all of this, thank you so very much for your time, have a wonderful rest of your day, and Love and Respect. <3

• Easy Ally

Hey, everyone! Ian here to offer my thoughts on all this. First of all, I want to thank everyone for the constructive criticism, we really do depend on it and we want to make great stuff that works for many different people. It is interesting, and I suppose a good sign, that oftentimes many fears/criticisms from you all are things that we've been thinking ourselves too.

We've been talking about a need for shorter content, more digestible content, and Don't Skip is partly a response to that. It's true that Easy Allies content is more discussion based and freeform than a lot of our stuff at GT, a lot of that does, as many have surmised, have to do with the logistics of all of us living apart and time and space etc. It also does reflect a shift in the way we wanted to talk about things.

All of this aside, and please don't take anything I say in this post as a formal announcement or anything like that, this is just me talking to you here person to people, but there is a desire to make shorter form stuff, scripted stuff, sketch stuff, fun stuff, narrative stuff. Many of us love making scripted, funny, narrative content. Thoughtful scripted editorial content. I love it. And I do hope to provide that. It isn't feasible to do it at the same pace and frequency as before at this time, whether or not we curtailed our current output. But know that the desire is there, and we hope to provide (if only here at there at first) this kind of content.

Speaking just for myself, I have loads of ideas and plans for Easy Update, lots of fun narrative episodes and crazy ideas. I've even hinted at some of them in various episodes in the past. They take time though, more time than I sometimes have, more time than any of us have currently with E3 looming its glorious head 30 days away. I guess what I'm saying is, thank you for these thoughts, many of them are very similar to thoughts we've been having for a while.

We hear you, we love you, we appreciate you, and I know that me saying "we wanna" is very different from me saying "it's going to happen in this way, on these dates, without losing anything, and it'll blow your mind" I hope you don't lose faith in us. But yes, we want the same things, we'd love to do everything we do now plus some great, solid, shorter, scripted content. And doing what we like is the bread and butter of Easy Allies, so hey, it'll likely happen in some way, some day.

We've also been thinking about how to grow without alienating anyone, and it's a tricky thing. We do mostly look to Patreon over our YouTube numbers but growing our YouTube is also important to us, and we do see that content like this could be a great way to do that. Easy Allies is a passion for all of us, it is our lives even if we don't have a studio, and can't always do 40 consecutive hours a week. But pretty much we're all working Easy Allies always, it's always in our minds, and most of us are working at it every day. So it's a funny sort of thing, where it's not as "job-like" as GT was, but it is more of an all-encompassing "LIFE THING." And balancing that with actually having time for that thing called life is something all of us are constantly finding ways to do.

We want Easy Allies to succeed, we feel it already has been an amazing success and we want to hang on to that and grow that while remaining true to ourselves and true to all of you! It's a process, one that all of you are part of, and we're all learning and growing together. Year Two of Easy Allies is going to bring lots of exciting changes, some of which we're already planning, and some that we probably haven't thought of yet. We hope that you like them and stick with us for this and all the years to come!

Thanks for reading this, I know it's long and perhaps a bit meandering, and don't read into anything in here as having secret meanings or anything like that, haha, but I just thought you all deserved a response, and to know that we hear you, and share many of your thoughts already.

Love and Respect,
    Ian.

• @IanHinck there wasn't a moment I found it meandering. I thought it was insightful and honest. Thank you for the response. It was really refreshing and encouraging to hear a personal response like that from you.

• @IanHinck Thank you Ian! This was an excellent post and response, really nice to know that you are listening and even sharing many of these thoughts presented here. It takes time to grow and evolve and I can't wait for what's to come, but I'm enjoying your work already as well and simply will not leave you guys. L&R :)

• @IanHinck Thanks Ian! Whenever we have one of these topics all we can do as fans is speculate, so it is nice to get any sort of feedback. I think you touched on all the concerns that have been brought up without meandering. Now we're freed to discuss what we might hope to see rather than debate if it is in the works at all! L&R

• @IanHinck I too want to echo thanks sir for your response. It does wonders, speaking for myself, to always see any and every Ally address concerns, be it here, through the Q&A, on streams, etc. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts. Have a wonderful day. Love & Respect <3

• @IanHinck said in Controversial opinion on EZA:

Hey, everyone! Ian here to offer my thoughts on all this. First of all, I want to thank everyone for the constructive criticism, we really do depend on it and we want to make great stuff that works for many different people. It is interesting, and I suppose a good sign, that oftentimes many fears/criticisms from you all are things that we've been thinking ourselves too.

We've been talking about a need for shorter content, more digestible content, and Don't Skip is partly a response to that. It's true that Easy Allies content is more discussion based and freeform than a lot of our stuff at GT, a lot of that does, as many have surmised, have to do with the logistics of all of us living apart and time and space etc. It also does reflect a shift in the way we wanted to talk about things.

All of this aside, and please don't take anything I say in this post as a formal announcement or anything like that, this is just me talking to you here person to people, but there is a desire to make shorter form stuff, scripted stuff, sketch stuff, fun stuff, narrative stuff. Many of us love making scripted, funny, narrative content. Thoughtful scripted editorial content. I love it. And I do hope to provide that. It isn't feasible to do it at the same pace and frequency as before at this time, whether or not we curtailed our current output. But know that the desire is there, and we hope to provide (if only here at there at first) this kind of content.

Speaking just for myself, I have loads of ideas and plans for Easy Update, lots of fun narrative episodes and crazy ideas. I've even hinted at some of them in various episodes in the past. They take time though, more time than I sometimes have, more time than any of us have currently with E3 looming its glorious head 30 days away. I guess what I'm saying is, thank you for these thoughts, many of them are very similar to thoughts we've been having for a while.

We hear you, we love you, we appreciate you, and I know that me saying "we wanna" is very different from me saying "it's going to happen in this way, on these dates, without losing anything, and it'll blow your mind" I hope you don't lose faith in us. But yes, we want the same things, we'd love to do everything we do now plus some great, solid, shorter, scripted content. And doing what we like is the bread and butter of Easy Allies, so hey, it'll likely happen in some way, some day.

We've also been thinking about how to grow without alienating anyone, and it's a tricky thing. We do mostly look to Patreon over our YouTube numbers but growing our YouTube is also important to us, and we do see that content like this could be a great way to do that. Easy Allies is a passion for all of us, it is our lives even if we don't have a studio, and can't always do 40 consecutive hours a week. But pretty much we're all working Easy Allies always, it's always in our minds, and most of us are working at it every day. So it's a funny sort of thing, where it's not as "job-like" as GT was, but it is more of an all-encompassing "LIFE THING." And balancing that with actually having time for that thing called life is something all of us are constantly finding ways to do.

We want Easy Allies to succeed, we feel it already has been an amazing success and we want to hang on to that and grow that while remaining true to ourselves and true to all of you! It's a process, one that all of you are part of, and we're all learning and growing together. Year Two of Easy Allies is going to bring lots of exciting changes, some of which we're already planning, and some that we probably haven't thought of yet. We hope that you like them and stick with us for this and all the years to come!

Thanks for reading this, I know it's long and perhaps a bit meandering, and don't read into anything in here as having secret meanings or anything like that, haha, but I just thought you all deserved a response, and to know that we hear you, and share many of your thoughts already.

Love and Respect,
    Ian.

You certainly didn't need to explain yourself, I definitely respect it though.

I actually like the longer content you guys put out, gives me something to stick on the TV to listen to as I'm working, or playing a game I don't need to listen to, But I'm fully aware of how much of a strain that can be when faced with the possibility of doing that every week or even every other week, so once a month for something like fiasconauts is perfectly fine, same with Gundam streams.

Things are gonna be hectic soon with E3, so I'm totally understanding of that as well. It'll all work out eventually, that's the glory of content like this is it's always evolving and feedback can be constructive right on the spot unlike regular TV that takes months if not years to catch onto viewer trends.

Y'all got this.

• @IanHinck thanks for the (Easy) Update, hah, it's great to see that you talk about this internally. And the fact that you also want to focus on the YT growth is warming my EZA heart, because you should not exclusively think of Patreon, the best exposure is through YT, and people (like myself) have been trained to see short videos daily for years now. Now I can rest knowing that it will get there in some way down the line. Just to be clear, I don't think you should stop with the long content, alot of patrons seem to like it, I'm just hoping for more short stuff to digest, not everybody have a job where they can see videos on the job or listen to podcasts, for me all that happens in my sparetime. L&R

• If you guys haven't seen yet, Kyle just posted an extremely relevant video. Basically a limited run web series if the community hits the $44k goal for one month.
    Check out the details below vvvv

Box Peek Show - Patreon Goal

If you just want to check out the video explanation quick...

Youtube Video

• @logic__error And... that boosted Patreon to $44,000 in less than a day. That means trailers are just around the corner too!

• @SabotageTheTruth Well, that really large pledge might just be a one time thing. Hopefully people will still feel encouraged to keep upping their pledges! Fingers crossed for Trailer Jones!

• I'm concerned about what this will do to the Patreon in the long run. By not making this video public on the EZA YouTube, this isn't very effective at convincing more people to donate to Patreon. I understand that the Patreon post about Box Peek is public, but I feel that it is more efficient if more non-Patrons are aware about this. The money increase is mostly from current Patrons (including myself) increasing their pledges. There are many, many subscribers on YT who aren't Patrons; I doubt that they're checking the Patreon page every day (why do that when you can just check the YouTube channel?), so there are many fans who are unaware of this new tier (yes, I know that this was mentioned on Friday's streams, but that also gets a limited amount of people watching). I want EZA to have improved success, and the way to do this is by getting more people to donate Patreon, instead of enticing current Patrons to increase their pledges. Unless my perspective is completely weird. Oh well. Love & Respect