Sony's Next Handheld *Allies Assemble*

• @Haru17 Are you saying that no games will be released on a hypothetical console

• @ib0show I'm saying that you guys aren't thinking of many games for Sony's hypothetical handheld. Not having Monster Hunter due to Nintendo's past exclusivity deal probably crippled the Vita in Japan, especially considering how well a 2.0 version of a series compilation title is currently selling on 3DS.

• @Haru17 If Sony release a console there will be support. I'm sure they will get Street Fighter 2, NBA 2k18, Fifa 18 and hey maybe even Skyrim.

• @ib0show We only get the privilege to overlook first-party games on Nintendo systems because we know they'll come to the system. That gives it a chance to succeed and garner third-party AAAs.

Sony has literally shut down most of its Vita developer studios or moved them to other projects, like Guerrilla Cambridge who made Killzone Mercenary, Rigs for PSVR, and was then shut down.

• @Haru17 How about GTA 5, Battlefield, Final Fantasy 15, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Last of Us, Horizon, ... , Fallout? Does it really matter if you can also purchase these for a home console and play them on a portable through cross buy/play platform? What new games do you want? Did you want 1-2-Switch, Fast RMX, Kamiko, New Frontier Days, Snipperclips, and Super Bomberman R? I can't tell you exactly what games I would want specifically for the next Sony handheld but what I can tell you is that whatever they are should have no problem running on PS4/PS5. The same goes for the Switch. No reason games on the Switch shouldn't be able to run on the next Nintendo console.

• @Ross So people are going to buy a portable that will cost $400 to play 2013 and 2015's hits, which are also playable on the console they definitely already own? Console war complaints against Nintendo Switch launch titles do not compose a successful competitor system (I very much doubt you're going to see a stationary console from them for a while — the Switch is that).

Anyway, you're not describing a Vita successor, you're describing a weird reverse PS Vita TV-thing that none of us will be excited for in the alternate reality where it's announced.

• @Haru17 Why would it cost $400, it could easily cost $249 or $299 max.

• @ib0show The Nintendo Switch cost about $260 USD per system to manufacture. A hardware bump from that plus Sony's profit margin is not going to be the same price. It would probably be larger than the Switch too.

• @Haru17 To break things down, the Nvidia Tegra processor, the dock, and the touch screen boils down to $167. Meanwhile, the Joy-Cons amount to $45 apiece. The tablet isn't worth much and Vita 2 won't be a hybrid so it's possible.

• @Haru17 I'm confused by why you're bringing up PS Vita TV. You can connect both the Vita and PSP to a TV. In addition, I'm not saying there wouldn't be exclusives to the system, just that there wouldn't need to be. GTA 5/6 on the go would sell units by itself. Just look at what Breath of The Wild did for the Switch. Also, the Switch wasn't going to be Nintendo's next console until the Wii U did so poorly. It was going to be their next handheld until they decided to market it as a console as a way to make a transition from a failing console. Lastly, ib0show is absolutely right, it could easily cost $300.

• I think I'd have to see this magical box that costs under $300, runs all current (by then, next) gen games with backwards compatibility, and is small enough to be portable; to believe it. Sounds like make-believe to me.

You guys realize the next gen consoles won't even cost $300, and that it's more expensive to miniaturize things, yeah? What's 'easily' about this?

• @Ross do you realisticly think they would be able to make something significantly more powerful than the Switch for less than $300, if they can't they would just end up competing with the switch and that seems like a senseless things to do given the state of both that market and the position Sony is currently in

• I never said it'll run next generation (PS5) games

• @ib0show then how do you think it would have a different fate from the one Vita had, Sony has shown that they are not supporting two gaming systems at the same time and it seems very unlikely to me they wouldn't follow through with another home system

• @bard91 they supported the Vita for a while, I love my vita and play it constantly.

• @Haru17 & @bard91 Why would it have to be significantly more powerful than the Switch? If you're going to argue that it needs to be so that it can run current and next gen games -- stop. Performance can scale. PS4Pro to PS4. PC gaming in general. Also, the PSP was $250 at release and so was the Vita. With all of that aside, the point of this post was for us to imagine what this "magical" handheld could be and what we would want it to be. Simply stating that it can't be doesn't even give it a chance. Even if its nothing more than an updated Vita.

• @ib0show as do I, still I would hardly say it is a supported system and I can't see a new system from Sony with the same purpose being a success.

• @Ross if we are talking about what I would like then yeah it would essentially be a more powerful Switch plane and simple, but I would like it to be Sony's only console, I don't want it to be another afterthought with no support.

as for it not being much more powerful than a Switch, that's precisely the reason why I don't think they would do it, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to start competing for the exact same market as the Switch, given that it is doing well and would have a ton of lead time by the time a hypothetical system comes out.

• The problem I'm having with this hypothetical console being made is if it's cartridge based then Sony need to make all PS4 games cross buy. If it's cross buy then you need to download the handheld version of X game then it's about storage problems.

• @Ross If you add a Switch-adjacent system to the PS4 family of systems then devs have to develop for three levels of power — PS4 Switch, PS4, and PS4 Pro — when they already aren't supporting the two current tiers, and when many games are poorly optimized for default PS4s. Whether I'm 'not giving it a chance' or not, that just sounds like a fiasco.

The Switch is working because it's simple. An easy to develop system doesn't change dramatically when going from portable to console. Developers have one set target to hit (why consoles exist in the first place) and it's supported with a steady stream of first-party games that are exclusive to the system, with a handful falling across both Switch and last gen Nintendo hardware. I think the PSP brand needs a comparable identity if it's ever going to succeed again. The only real chance for it to do so is follow the traditional console route that has backed every successful console so far — first-party developers make exclusive games for one specific preset of hardware.