Project Rap Rabbit Kickstarter Announced

• @Stormcrownn Oh, what were Bosman's feelings on it? Haven't seen him talk about it.

• @Inustar Basically what Stormcrownn said. Not having a demo, or at least a some sort of proof of concept video with gameplay, hurts it. Chat was asking him about it during Dumb Game Monday, since it had just been announced, if you check "Stolen Part 3" it should be in there. He also talks about it with the panel on this week's podcast, which is a fresher and more in depth discussion.

• I wonder if something happened, cause I feel like this would be doing much better if they'd gotten an E3 announcement. There's, like, no publicity here.

• I think it's a mix of coming close enough to E3 that everyone's got their eyes elsewhere, having a more niche appeal than, say, "we're making not-megaman" or "we're making not-banjo kazooie" and, well, a lot of people (myself included) feeling a burnt on kickstarter at this point and not being willing to back something with nothing but a few famous names, a lot of fancy words and a few mockups of what the game miiiiiiiiiiight look like.

• Global Moderator

I love it! I hope they pull it off.

• Got another email...it's a long one, lol.

The sparknotes version:

1. First stretch goal of 1.5 million changed to Nintendo Switch version.

2. "We didn’t want to sugar-coat funding targets by presenting costs that wouldn’t cover the rest of Project Rap Rabbit’s development: although our expectations were that an artificially lowered project goal would likely generate a higher total funding level, we weren’t prepared to risk a situation where we weren’t able to fully cover the development costs necessary to ensure Project Rap Rabbit lived up to our promise. Project Rap Rabbit represents our vision for the future of rhythm-action – we would rather aim high and learn that not enough people shared our vision than trickle past a false goal, try to make the game without the true funds needed and end up compromising Project Rap Rabbit’s quality."

3. We are not in the position of being co-funded by a secret fourth party: Project Rap Rabbit’s funds are coming purely from NanaOn-Sha, iNiS J, PQube and Kickstarter, and we therefore presented the full amounts necessary to develop certain features to their fullest.

Basically, they say they did the math, and this is what they determined absolutely necessary to make the game they want to make.

• It's an uphill battle. They had a slow start and unless they find a big way to promote the Kickstarter it will be really difficult to make the initial goal. I did a search for "Project Rap Rabbit" and the official Kickstarter didn't even come up on the first page of results. That's really bad.

• Honestly I find it kinda fucked up that with how Kickstarter works you either A) smash that goal in 12 hours or B) either barely manage to hit it in the final hours or just flat out fail entirely. I really can't think of any stories of a game (or anything) hitting its goal like two weeks in and then eeking out one or two stretch goals before the finish line.

• @DeweyDTruman Yeah, it's all about momentum. I've been part of both a successful Kickstarter (Divinity: Original Sin) and a failed one (Ghost Theory... yup you probably haven't heard of it), and in both cases it was a non-stop, extremely stressful endeavour.

Especially when you're presenting a new IP / relatively unknown dev team, you have to build up anticipation before the Kickstarter campaign starts. And for this, you need a playable demo or at the very least an in-depth gameplay video. A rough concept doesn't cut it anymore, people have been burnt by pretty pictures and promises by the likes of Mighty No. 9.

If you can get preview articles and gather a substantial group of followers who will pledge as soon as the Kickstarter launches, you'll be much more likely to succeed. You can never recover from a false start.

• I know I'm repeating what many already said about having a demo, but I think being a rhythm game, not having a song and at least a mock-up video of how it will play is worse than say, an RPG. The whole point of the game is feeling the music, beats, cues and seeing how it translates to gameplay. In other genres I'd say it would be easier to sell the game just with some key visuals, but it is really hard here.

I also think it's difficult to get sold on the game only having 6 tracks, specially given the price, I know their intent is to make each stage very meaty with the choice wheel thing, but again, I think it is hard to convince it will be meaningful enough to justify having less stages.

• With the choice wheel the game should have at least some replay value... so 6 tracks doesn't kill the idea for me, but unless the songs are halfway decent you might not WANT to play through again and the best way to know would be if we had gotten some sort of sample track, even a short 10-20 second clip.

This project went from a rumor, to confirmed, to a Kickstarter in the span of a week. That doesn't give people the time to get excited about it or they don't have time to sift through the info and end up getting lost in the mixed messages.

• @logic__error Definitely sounds like poor planning. Unless you've got some big audience like Shenmue 3 had at E3, shadow dropping a Kickstarter is an awful idea without building up some hype before you launch your crowd funding.

• @Minamik Indeed. I kind of wonder if they planned on waiting but felt pressured to get the Kickstarter going when the rumors started. Perhaps they caught wind of another Kickstarter dropping around E3 time too and didn't want to compete? I think the easiest answer is just poor planning but who knows?

They put up the teaser video on the 12th and then launched the Kickstarter on the 15th... they either needed to happen the same day or a few weeks apart but the fact that it would be crowd-funded should have been part of the initial announcement.

• I think the timing was kind of great, because the Parappa remaster just released, returning all the good memories for those who played and maybe making them think: "it would be awesome to have another new game like this".
    I just think that maybe it really is too niche to gather much attention, but then, Shenmue 3 got so much support being very niche too, these things are hard to predict and get right.

• @LinkJr Shenmue 3 had the platform of E3 to get the word out. It is also an established franchise with a strong fanbase, even if it is niche, so fans had an idea of what to expect. All those people who saw it announced at E3 focused their excitement into the Kickstarter, not just putting their money in but also sharing their enthusiasm with others to further get the word out. I'm sure even they didn't expect it to pull in as much money as it did though!

I agree that it was smart to do it around the time of Parappa's remaster but if they wanted to use the excitement from that they needed to at the very least announce the Project Rap Rabbit simultaneously with the remaster release. They simply waited too long, it's been a month since Parappa came out. Launching the Kickstarter in tandem would have been the best move if they wanted to use that momentum, but even putting the concept out there and getting eyes on both it would have helped tremendously.

Unless you have a big platform to do it on, shadowdropping isn't always the best idea. Building anticipation and awareness is usually better, especially with a niche title.

• Hopefully the kickstarter and work done during the promotion of it will be used to try and get some investors on board but man I am bummed about this one.

The worst thing is that this failure to launch is all down to poor management and not setting realistic goals for the project. A crazy high target goal for a niche game and very little in terms of tangible gameplay. Them not having a gameplay concept video until halfway into the campaign was just stupid. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE PROJECT VIDEO YOU FOOLS!

There are some cool ideas in the design and I especially liked the conversational approach to call and response rap battling.

• Yeah, it sucks, but it's mostly on them for all the weirdness. Hopefully they learn from this experience.