Describe Your Taste In Music Using 7 Songs

• "I'm over you" Keith Whitley
    " You took the words right out of my mouth" Meatloaf
    "Dont stop believing Journey"
    "Mama's Hungary Eyes" Merle Haggard
    "Pills i Took" Hank Williams the 3RD
    " Coming Home " Lynard Skynard
    " Perfect Country/Western song" David Allen Coe

• Honestly, this was brutal - I could've used 70 slots. At the end of the day though, I'm pretty happy with the range these seven are able to cover.

"Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice, Alright" - Modest Mouse

"Battery Kinzie" - Fleet Foxes

"All I Want" - LCD Soundsystem

"First Breath After Coma" - Explosions In The Sky

"Ramblin' Man" - The Allman Brothers Band

"Runaway" - Kanye West

"Doing it Right" - The Go! Team

• Interesting one, I just cobbled this up quickly but I think it is a fair representation of the things I ussually listen to

Amesouers - Les Ruches Malades
    (I suppose this one can serve in representation of the Doom metal, which I listen to a lot, even if it not really in the genere)

Peste Noire - Demonarque

Bathory - One Rode To Asa Bay

Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror

Ceremonial Castings - Midnight Deathcult Phenomena

Tyr - Hold the Heathen Hammer High

Rainbow - Temple of the King

• Picking 7 songs was really hard
    "I'm a believer" - Smash Mouth
    "Holding out for a Hero" - Jennifer Saunders
    "Funky Town" - Lipps Inc
    "What I like about you - Romantiks
    "All Star" - Smash Mouth
    "Barracunda" - Fergie
    "Hallelujah" - Leonard Cohen

• "You won't know" brand new
    "Pensicolla" manchester orchestra
    "Minor threat" minor threat
    "Walking is still honest" against me
    "Arcarsenal" At the drive in
    "All fuzzed out" Beach Slang
    "Rejoice" Julian Baker

I'm not sure how to do the fancy links but I'm pretty happy with that list. It's hard because I had to cut some of my favorite songs in order to represent more variety.

• "Spanish Sahara" - Foals
    I'm a fan of a good build-up and this song perfectly displays that. The release of sound towards the end is absolutely cathartic.

"Knives Out" - Radiohead
    My favorite song by my favorite band. Like a lot of their work, it has a certain mood of melancholy surrounding the entire work, yet a strong rhythm and Yorke's haunting vocals weave their way through the song. This video was directed by Michel Gondry, who would later go on to create my favorite film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Lots of favorites in this one!

"Frontier Psychiatrist" - The Avalanches
    I'm a huge fan of anyone who is able to take samples and do interesting things with them and the debut album for The Avalanches excels in this field. There's so many moods this song explores, using a lot of clips that really shouldn't work in a song, yet they're brilliant here.

"Yet Again" - Grizzly Bear
    This band just keeps getting better and I feel this is a great showcase for their skills. Sad and dreamy, yet it has one of the best endings to a song I've ever encountered, an absolute psychedelic freak-out.

"Slumlord" - Neon Indian
    So despite the previous entries, I'm not only listening to depressing music, I've got quite a fondness for synth-work and anything that incorporates the feeling of the 80s. The chorus here is probably the most catchy out of anything I'm sharing here yet it reverts right back to that dirty, dirty synth.

"Creep in a T-Shirt"- Portugal. The Man
    Danger Mouse is an incredible producer that turns everything he touches into gold. I was a little skeptical when I heard he was working with these guys but he brought out their best work to date. PTM started embracing their funkier side and the horns here are stellar, along with the backing vocals. His mixing is so crisp sounding, everything just pops.

"Fireworks" - Animal Collective
    If I had to describe euphoria, I would instead stop trying to use words and play this song instead. Back when Animal Collective wasn't aggressively trying to be offputting, this gem came out and creates an atmosphere unlike any other I've visited. Sonic, ethereal, and Avey Tare's vocals really add passion to the whole piece.

• @ib0show
    This list is my favourite so far. Well played

• @lifetimeofnot [nameofsong] (youtubelink) no space in between the brackets

• @ib0show Also, when posting, there is a button above the textfield where you can type, between strikethrough and image buttons, which can be used to create the link thing faster, especially if you highlight the word(s) you want to make into a link

• Mein Herz brennt - Rammstein

Could've said: Whispers in the Dark - Skillet
    It shows off really well how rock/metal can be combined with calssic instruments. I like the slower paced metal songs with deep vocal rather than faster with growling etc.

Harder, better, faster, stronger - Daft Punk

Could've said: Other Daft Punk songs
    I like Daft Punk

Breaking the Habit - Linkin Park

Could've said: Numb, Easier to Run, Waiting for the End - all by Linkin Park
    Almost ten years ago I rediscovered Linkin Park, realizing how much I liked them, and are the band I've been the most fan of so far. They lead me deeper into hard rock and metal. Breaking the habit is one of the more mellow, not so angry songs that I like to listen to when I am down

Krølla 50-lapp y'all - Karpe Diem

Could've said: Kontaktannonser - Klovner i Kamp
    Had to put some old Norwegian hiphop on here.

The Real Slim Shady - Eminem

Could've said: Other Eminem Songs
    I like Eminem

John Wayne - Lady Gaga

Could've said: Sia, Katy Perry
    I've realized that I don't hate pop as I told used to tell myself

Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars

Could've said: Happy - Pharrel, Get Lucky - Daft Punk
    Songs that make me smile and just enjoy life

Though that said, I don't listen to music that often...

• @TokyoSlim DJ Shadow deserves all the love in the world.

• @SabotageTheTruth indeed. Saw him live a few years ago performing inside the 3d egg thing. Was incredible.

• Get ready for some metal

1.) Emperator - Valkyrion - Band I was in many years ago, figured this would be a good example of my musical tastes in itself since I helped make the song lol (i'm on drums)
    2.) Wintersun - Sons of Winter and Stars - I love long, epic metal songs and Jari is probably my favorite song writer. I also love Kai on drums, such an impressive drummer
    3.) In Flames - Dead Eternity - Not much of a fan of their newer stuff, this whole album is one of the best examples of great melodic death metal out there.
    4.) Dragonforce - Ashes of the Dawn - Been a Dragonforce/power metal fan for a long time, this album just came out maybe a week ago and I'm digging it a lot
    5.) Amon Amarth - Cry of the Blackbirds - One of my top favorite bands, hard for them to make a song I don't like.
    6.) Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror - More power metal, seen Blind Guardian twice live and their entire discography is so diverse and great. They do a lot of orchestra work in the newer albums and they write each part themselves.
    7.) Kalmah - Like a Slave - more melodic death metal that's a bit harder than In Flames, love this band too

• Global Moderator

Okey so I finally decided to make a list! these are just 7 random songs I really like that I think follows my taste in music!

• Odesza - IPLAYYOULISTEN suuuuuch a great smooth tune! should be listened to with high volume and a lot of base <3
    • Troy Baker - What we Lost in the Fire Yes, this is THE Troy Baker, the same guy who do voices for half the gaming industry. Of course he can sing! He is working on his second album but this first album are amazing in so many ways! Think this might be one of my most listen to album over the last 2 - 3 years. Every song offers something unique and it works in happiness, sorrow, when you are tired, when you are upset, it just puts you in that great mood. This song is the one that has stuck with me the most and I really like this type of music.
    • Millencolin - Sense & Sensibility This song really goes back to the music I found in my teens whilst hanging out at the skateparks with people and learning the basics flips on a board feeling awesome. I was never any good at skating but I loved the culture and a lot of the music still stays with me.
    • Final Fantasy VI - Terra's Theme Yes, we do need to get some video game music in here! Growing up playing JRPGs and getting into the different worlds I found the music to often be fantastic and emotional in so many ways. As there are more fantastic tracks than I can count I figured I'll link in the one that have stuck with me the longest. This track I often go back to, close my eyes and just think back to when I played this fantastic game and the track are solid on its own if you didn't know much about the games at all.
    • Moving Mountains - Aphelion Not sure what to say about this song. It is one of those you just go to now and then. This type of music I often put on when Im doing work and it just helps me focus on the work and makes everything easier.
    • Taylor Swift - Shake it Off how can you NOT like this song?? so freaking catchy and I just can't help to bounce around when listening to it! I guess its a little of guilty pleasure. Sometimes you just need to "listen to music" and not take life so serious! As my list went quite "deep" and emotional I just feel like that we need to finish it off with something very happy and "have fun" music. I SHAKE IT OFF, I SHAKE IT OFF!!!

There you have it folks! I think this list represents the type of music I like the most! (yes all these songs are awesome as well!) I think this kinda reached out towards all my corners of taste in music. Love it or hate it, but I also think this music describes my personality in a good way on this sunny Friday morning.

• This was tough! Now i'm turning 30 years old next year, and like many other, I have gone through various music tastes over the years. Starting out I really liked the more high school rock like Blink 182 and The Offspring, and then that turned into a more heavy taste. Through my late teens it was all about heavy metal, then that turned into the more classic hard/blues rock like Led Zeppelin, and now finally for the past 5 or so years, I think I found my calling in the blues. There has still been different detours over the years, among other the more old school country music, that I still dig big time.
    I tried picking 7 different tracks, that each represents something different, but man I had to leave a lot out.

A fun game though!

• @MonsTruz I love that Hugh Laurie album. Personally I think I like the Vaud and the Villains version of St James Infirmary best, just cause I like the faster pace of it.
    My favourite from that Hugh Laurie album is After You've Gone. Can't beat a clarinet and Dr John ☺

• @Inustar I on the other hand really like the slow build of Laurie's St. James Infirmary. I have not heard the Version from Vaud and the Villains, but I will be sure to give it a listen. I also like The White Stripes version, it has a cool swagger to it.

Yeah, Hugh Laurie is great. I remember watching him in British comedies when I was a kid, and it's so surreal to me, that he makes so awesome music. I saw rumors, that he was releasing a new album next year, and that would be hype.

• This is nigh impossible. Can't we do albums instead? I'm inevitably going to leave some aspect of what I like out, but:

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
    I was stuck between this and Turn to Stone for my ELO pick, but really anything from Out of the Blue would work here seeing as it's my favorite album of all time. This was the song my brother showed me back in the day to get me into ELO. His pitch was "the choir at the end sounds like the theme to Nausicaa." I still think that the last guitar/choir lick at the end is a little unnecessary, which is why I think so many recordings remove it, but overall this song is essentially perfect. I think Jeff Lynne said he considers it the best song he's ever written.

10,000 Emerald Pools - BORNS
    For my indie sensibilities, I'm going with 10,000 Emerald Pools. I only discovered BORNS a couple years ago (this song was a mainstay on the chilling playlist among my friends in college), but they've quickly become a staple in my ongoing rotation.

The Flame and the Flood - Chuck Ragan
    This song serves two purposes for this list: to get some of that light folk/soft rock flavor and to get some video game music on this list. I never played The Flame and the Flood, but Ragan absolutely killed it with this soundtrack. It was between this and Landsick for the spot on my list, but this was the one that turned me on to other Chuck Ragan songs, so it gets the spot.

Life on Mars? - David Bowie
    This was the song that introduced me to Bowie. Also, this is my favorite of his eras.

The Bygone Days - Joe Hisaishi
    It was tough deciding which piece from a movie soundtrack I was going to put on here, but I went with The Bygone Days, since it also touches on jazz. I already spoke about how much I love this song in the Movie Bracket Game, but man, it gets me every time. Hisaishi has no right to be as good as he is. He's the only person that could beat out John Williams for a spot on my list here.

The Stranger - Billy Joel
    Fuck, is there too much classic rock on my list? Oh well, need to put Billy Joel on here.

Mr. Brightside - The Killers
    Maybe not the most indicative of my tastes, but this song has a ton of sentimental value for me. It has been transformed from my pump up song to my "damn, I used to be happy" song.

• @naltmank Mr. Blue Sky is so damn good!