Choreography

• Dancing, fighting, whatever the situation, motion benefits from strong choreography.

What's your favorite choreography from games, animation, TV/Film, the stage, or real life?

• People say Daredevil has great fight direction, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage didn't focus on it, and Iron Fist has awful choreography. However, they all just look like punching people to me.

• John Wick has great fight choreography. In filmed media, choreography and cinematography must work together, and that movie does it very well.

Also, shout out to Bob Fosse who's dance choreography people have been ripping off, copying, or imitating for like 40 years.

• I really like the fight choreography in the Bourne trilogy. There are also the standards like The Matrix, John Wick, Old Boy, etc..

I want to give a shout out to The Revenant though.. its been while since I've seen fight scenes that have the weight and realism of those in The Revenant. The final showdown in particular manages to feel incredibly desperate and violent without being gratuitous and creates a tension that I personally respond to more than big over the top scenes, which I tend to get bored by.

• l really like the dance-like, occasionally silly choreography from Hong Kong action films in the 70's and 80's, so I'm a big fan of Lau Kar-Leung and Sammo Hung. Anyone who executes a fight scene set on bicycles or uses the the bald head of a monk to extract a bad guy's teeth is pretty cool in my books.

Gene Kelly was always my favorite musical lead, part of the reason being how physical and environmental his choreography was. Also it always seemed to stem from emotion; Kelly understood storytelling really well.

• The Raid has some amazing fights. Captain America Winter Soldier is pretty great too. I also like the silly fights of Kung Fu Hustle and Shao lin Soccer.

I am also partial to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers when it comes to traditional dancing.

• Oh, I guess I liked the title fight in Captain America: Civil War. Just some really brutal stuff. I don't know if that would be considered 'well choreographed' or not, and I don't much care. It was realistic to the physics of that fiction and felt weighty, and that's all you really need.

• Global Moderator

I always have been a fan of the Jackie chan films. Its some really cool stuff going on there!

• In general, I care less about the choreography of a fight scene than I do the framing of it. That's a big reason why think a lot of the Marvel fight scenes fall short for me; they're cut to high hell, and most of them don't let the hits land before moving on to the next shot. The Raid and John Wick have some great fight scenes, as do pretty much all the old Jackie Chan movies. The Revenant has already been mentioned, so I'll throw in the masterful war zone scene from Children of Men. Just in general, if Lubezki is shooting your movie, there's a good chance it's going to be beautiful, and that goes double true for his fight scenes. Of course, it's easy to jerk off over long-takes, so another great, well shot/edited fight scene is the warehouse scene from Batman v Superman. Most of the movie is garbage, but that scene is (in my opinion) the only time Batman's mastery of CQC has been captured on the big-screen. Finally, I'd be remiss not to mention Helm's Deep. Jackson does such a good job setting up the geography of the fight in the scenes preceding the big battle that you never get lost throughout the chaos. That's insanely difficult, especially given the scale of things, and goes to show you how good a director of action he is. If you want to see an example of this done poorly, watch the fight scenes from Snow White and the Huntsman. That movie blows.

For dance in movies, I honestly think it doesn't get much better than the opening number from La La Land. While obviously the whole movie owes a debt to Fred Astaire and co, none of the old-school musical greats could imagine the absolute scale of what Chazelle was able to pull off. He establishes exactly where everything is in that opening drag down the highway, and the blocking is expertly done so that when people dance in and out of the screen, we're never confused or left guessing where they came from. The costumes are simplistic but boldly colored to help your eye track the movement. It just flows, building to its climax. Then everyone returns to their starting positions, and the movie begins. I know some people think this movie is overrated, but I honestly think it's one of the most impressive feats of directing in the past ten years. Say what you will about how likable the characters are; you can't deny that Chazelle is just phenomenally talented. He flexes every artistic muscle he has in this movie and it shows.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.