Games You Want/Like but Don't Want to Play

• I realize this is a bit of an odd topic but a friend and I were having an interesting discussion the other day. I don't like Metroid games, the 2d ones give me anxiety and the 3d ones give me motion sickness. All the same I really hope that Nintendo makes a new Metroid game. Not so that I can play it, but so that an important part of Nintendo's history can live on and so that fans of the series will get what they've been wanting for so long. As for my friend she wants a new Okami game (however unlikely it is to happen), she hates Zelda games, and really only liked Okami for it's visuals. She doesn't necessarily want to play the next Okami game but would want to watch someone else play it so that she can admire the art and story.

What are some games you want to be made, or enjoy now that you don't really want to play yourself? If your not going to play them do you want to watch someone else play them, or are you just content to know they exist?

• This Is a Strange topic to me because if I don't want it then I'm not sure I care if it's made or not. But I get where your kinda going with it. For myself the two best examples that maybe fit into your topic are games that I want to play before or at reveal but lose interest by the time they come out or are revealed. The other being games I've played and would love to revisit but then I usually don't because why would I spend so much time doing it again. So I guess I like that they are around even though I don't really want to play them. Or more interestingly, sometimes I like the hype of a game and anticipating it more then actually ever wanting to play it. Lol... first world problems.

• I like just about every genre, but I guess I might have to say games that work on a macro level? Like city building simulators or grand strategy; I just don't have the fortitude or managemental disposition to make the most of those games, but I have a lot of respect for them.

But I suppose those are a bit of a niche. I don't know of many series or genres that would have a lot of fanfare around them that I would have that kind of relationship with.

• @Ringedwithtile That's a good answer. Makes me think of Eve: Online. I don't ever want to venture out into that cutthroat and unforgiving universe, but the stories that arise from it are mind-boggling. More games like that are something I'd be super excited for even though i will likely never play them (lack of a gaming PC also contributes).

• I guess this would be fighting games for me, I think some look really cool, but I'm bad, like really bad at them, so I don't bother getting one. You could say I could get better at them, but I don't really want to spend the time to get there, so I prefer to favor other games and ignore them, even if they look cool.

• Propably some good sports games, I guess. I never play them, but I like to know that they exist for people who play them. And especially if they're great this year. Might give my brother a heads-up, for instance, that this year's FIFA is really good, as he tends to like them more often than not.

• The only thing that comes to mind are Mario Romhacks (Kaizo), I watch raocow every day religiously but I would not play them myself (I tried it once), still want them to be made of course so he can continue let's playing them.

• Horror games.
    I never, ever will play any horror game.
    But I do enjoy watching them get played. I love horror stories, but playing them means that I can't skip, or hide my eyes.
    I loved getting to watch Huber play RE VII.

• For the most part Simulation Racing and Versus Fighting games with some exceptions. I'm fine dabbling in them among friends when none of us are great at it, but the moment you go online it becomes no fun. Beyond that Walking Simulators and most Horror games, because I get a superior experience watching someone else play them than bumbling around myself would provide since Horror games rarely effect me anyways. Exception there is horror or exploration games with lots of puzzle elements or fun combat as I enjoy both those things. Speaking of Puzzle games though, stuff like Tetris and Puyo Puyo doesn't appeal to me at all, but I've certainly watched my fair share of Bosman V Wozniak, so I guess I'm glad they exist.

Really just boils down to any game where the act of playing it isn't what I enjoy about the game. Might be due to crappy gameplay, being more of a movie than a game, or having very challenging gameplay in a genre I'm not comfortable with.

Scalebound

• @Inustar exact same I'm down anytime to watch somebody else play a horror game in person from start to finish, but if I try to do it myself I'm stopping at soon as things start getting freaky.

This doesn't apply to everything, shooters that feature some horror I can deal with, but pure horror things and games were you can't defend yourself at all are a no go for me.

• @bard91 Yeah, I don't like horror in games much at all, even if it's just elements in a different type of game, like a shooter. But I can usually work my way through it if I know I can blast things 😊

• I think that the games in vein of EVE-online would be great, but I'm not going to play them. Way too much hassle for me.... But those stories that come out of EVE-online alone make it easily one of the better games out there I will never properly play. I tried it, but it's way too much management with next to no actual fun gameplay.

• Global Moderator

Final Fantasy XIV for me, I feel like I've left it far too long to jump in and having the time to go through everything (with all the great releases the last few years) to catch up has left me admiring it from afar.

Same thing with Disgaea 5.

• Global Moderator

@MCRMJ yeah I've really wanted to play FF XIV! I played the beta and loved it, but the game got released just as I moved country and started university. Now as you say it feels like its too far gone and I've missed out on it!

• Lately it seems that Horizon: Zero Dawn fits in this category. I love Aloy and I love the world that it takes place it, but there's just too much combat. I really don't like the way it handles, so even having notched it down to Easy to speed it all up, I still just loathe encounters in that game.

Another big one is The Witcher 3. It's a gorgeous game, with great characters in a great world. There's just too damn much of it and I have a really tough time just skipping a bunch of it so I can move forward with it. Again, the combat isn't my favorite, which really hurts the chances that I'll come back to it.

• @Akkad-no-Musou said in Games You Want/Like but Don't Want to Play:

The only thing that comes to mind are Mario Romhacks (Kaizo), I watch raocow every day religiously but I would not play them myself (I tried it once), still want them to be made of course so he can continue let's playing them.

^ something like this is all I can think of really. I watch a lot of old awesome games done quick streams.

• Jumping on that horror game bandwagon. No desire to ever play one but there are still games I'm interested in. The Resident Evil franchise interests me but I have zero desire to ever play it, especially VII. Watching the full playthrough was great, especially since there was a number of them doing it together. Same with Outlast 2.

• For me, it's games many would want that I have no interest in. Example: Sony's E3 2015 show. Yes, the Final Fantasy VII: Remake made me lose my mind, but more specifically, I was stoked to see The Last Guardian re-revealed and Shenmue III officially announced. It does the heart good to see so many celebrate a game's announcement. So outside of the running joke of the next Half-Life, any games A LOT of people want is what fits for me. Like Metroid Prime 4 this year.

• @Brannox said in Games You Want/Like but Don't Want to Play:

For me, it's games many would want that I have no interest in. Example: Sony's E3 2015 show. Yes, the Final Fantasy VII: Remake made me lose my mind, but more specifically, I was stoked to see The Last Guardian re-revealed and Shenmue III officially announced. It does the heart good to see so many celebrate a game's announcement. So outside of the running joke of the next Half-Life, any games A LOT of people want is what fits for me. Like Metroid Prime 4 this year.

Sorry about this, but I can't figure out what your answer is to the OP's question here. Maybe it's just me -.-"

• @Sheria Sorry, allow me to be more clear:

While I may "like" a game for being something others want, I don't "like" them enough to play.

I'll use the Last Guardian again as an example. When I saw the conference I referenced, I wanted to give Ico and Shadow of the Colossus a shot, because I was caught up in the hype of the Last Guardian and I never played them, and wanted to play them to give them a shot.

I hate them for a variety of reasons, so I never want to play the Last Guardian. But I'm happy it exists, because it is game liked by a lot of people.

Allow me to directly quote, "What are some games you want to be made, OR enjoy now that you don't really want to play yourself?"

It is the first half of the question I directly reference. I hope I was able to clear up any confusion =-D