Unique Mechanics

• What are your favorite game mechanics that are unique to a certain game?

Mine are:

Katamari Series: Rolling up objects to get bigger and form stars.

Stretch Panic: Using a demonic scarf to stretch the envirnonment/enemies and fling yourself around.

• The paint brush mechanic from Okami

• Global Moderator

I guess this is kinda spoilers... but this whole mission its like a fresh breeze of air in the FPS genre.

I really loved every second of it and wish more games would try other concepts like this

• Touchscreen only controls for Link in the 2 DS games. They're the reason that those games are so well-regarded!!1!1!!!

• The 2D to 3D flip in Super Paper Mario. I guess it's sort of also in Fez, but that's just a typical platformer and it never gave the player 3D movement — just movement on several 2D axis'. SPM used it for cool environmental puzzles that were uncovered by simple switch interaction in The Thousand Year Door, and turned exploring for secrets into an active process. I still remember one fantastic area of the game where you can flip into 3D (side view) and see a bunch of skeletons like the Marine Research Lab fish feeding quest in Majora's Mask.

alt text

There are just a ton of really cool examples of environmental interaction in the 3D Zelda games with dungeons and Metroid Prime Trilogy. I guess the one I want to highlight is the iron boots' magnetism in Twilight Princess. There are a ton of games where you can walk on walls, but few where the same item lets you sink underwater and ground yourself against heavy enemies. It's not just a standalone mechanic either: you have full control over your item set while dangling just like you do on horseback, and the game has puzzles designed around that. There is even this one grotto that tasks players with jumping down into a pool of lava and putting on the iron boots at the last second to be snatched by a magnetic field and slammed onto the magnetic wall at its base. Too cool.

• I was gonna make a thread about favorite mechanics but figured I should double check first and I figure it's better to just revive this topic. Fair warning though all three of my examples have at least two games related to them.

Drop Dash (Sonic Mania/Sonic Forces)
    This mechanic is unironically a game changer. Going back to play Sonic CD or 3 and Knuckles feels almost wrong now since I keep thinking I can just hold down the jump button for a quick and easy boost without losing momentum or hitting the side of a slope and climbing without having to double back and spindash up it. It's like the spindash in Sonic 2 or the charge in Mega Man 3, once you got it you almost wonder how you got by before it existed.

Possession (Ghost Trick/Super Mario Odyssey)
    I dunno what to call this one but that's as good a name as any. It's just real satisfying to go around a game's world and see what all you can interact with, and being able to become that thing is the ultimate example of that.

And of course, the best mechanic ever: Witch Time (Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2/a buncha other Platinum games/Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS I guess?)
    I'm not a wordsmith. I couldn't give you a great explanation of why it feels so good to dodge an attack and immediately turn that into a massive combo while the opponent is helpless due to time being slowed down. It just feels so right though. You gotta earn it and then you gotta make it count.

• Burnout Revenge - Crashbreaker

After you're taken out, you still have a brief moment of control allowing you to get back into the path of traffic and self-destruct!

Worms series - Ninja Rope

Some entries have better implementation than others, but at its peak, it's flexible enough to get you across the map and into any cranny in a heartbeat, not to mentions all kinds of little pro tricks!

Skyward Sword - Timeshift Stones

The stationary ones are just fancy switches, but the ones you can pick up and move, with an aura that can change the environment around you...such a good mechanic.

Honorable mentions:

Breath of the Wild - Stasis Rune

Freeze any moving object for a bit, then hit it to build up kinetic energy. The best mechanic I've ever seen, but it's greatly underutilized in the game. Hopefully the 2nd DLC or a sequel can fully show it off.

Plus, pretty much anything Kirby does. ^_^

• I'm not sure about GOAT, but stasis was easily the most interesting of the limited array of items in Breath of the Wild. It's the only one of the new runes that I want to come within 100 miles of the next mainline Zelda game, anyway.

It's really too bad it wasn't called upon much, probably because they couldn't make it aim reliably with the physics system they had in place. There was this one interesting shrine puzzle where I stored up momentum in an ice block, shut off a fire stream, and then let it loose to sail through the flamethrowers which was pretty neat. But yeah, besides that you could either try (and fail) to use it in combat or shoot rocks into the distance and watch them de-load.

• what immediately comes to mind is Brothers with the dual stick controls

• Ancient Domains Of Mystery - Corruption
    How this works in ADOM, is that as your characters goal (unless you play as certain class) you're trying to stop the spread of chaos into the world, and your main objective on a regular run is to close the Chaos Gate, which slowly corrupts the world, and the same time, your character. What this means that once your character gets corrupted enough, your character starts to mutate. Characters bones might turn into bronze, or become living mana battery, grow additional eyes etc. list goes on, there are over 30 different corruptions that your character can get, and if character gets too corrupted, he/she turns into writhing mass of primal chaos (which is game over). There are few ways in game to remove corruptions, but those are relatively rare, so it's usually best to leave non harmful corruptions until you get some really bad ones and then remove all at once.

So it's not far off from the radiation mechanic that is in Fallout series, but imagine it being more random each time you get radiated enough.

• The "score" in Kula World.

Your total score is your life, if it reaches 0 it's game over.
    If you beat a level the score you earned in that level will be added to your total score but if you die it will be subtracted.
    It's a very interesting risk versus reward mechanic as you'll find yourself trying to keep your score as low as possible during some of the more difficult stages.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.