Gwent: The Witcher Card Game

• alt text

The Open Beta is live! On PC, PS4 and Xbox One. This is it: no more account progress wipes, we're good to go.

"Do you plan on wiping accounts in the future?
    No further account progress wipes are planned, but — since GWENT is still in the beta stage of development — however unlikely, wipes are technically still possible. If we need to reset your beta progress, we will inform about that in advance."

The titillating-sounding story mode will arrive later with the version 1.0.
    "When does the beta end? What’s the release date of GWENT 1.0?
    We plan to go out of beta when the game is feature-rich, polished and sufficiently tested. Version 1.0, which we will consider the first out-of-beta version, will introduce single player story campaigns. 1.0 is just the beginning for GWENT — the game is going to be continuously updated with features and cards."

I just loved this in The Witcher III. May take a while to get into the groove again, plus there's been changes here and there, bigger and smaller, but I'm hoping to reinvigorate this love story.

• I know next to nothing about The Witcher but I dig card games so I'm gonna try to give this open beta a go.

• This post is deleted!

• Can anyone give me a brief comparison of Gwent to Magic, I play a lot of mtg (not as much anymore but I stay uptaded) and it would be easier for me to get into it if I find it at least somewhat familiar.

• I don't play card games but I play Gwent. The netflix series needs Gwent.

• Only CD Projekt could create a game in a game that spins off into its own game.

Unless I'm forgetting other examples where this has happened before. I'm sure it has, but I'm too lazy to research.

• @Art i believe square released a triple triad app for phones

• There's been so major changes to the game balance recently, such as the removal of faction abilities. While not tenured card game developers, CDPR has shown over the course of the closed beta a strong willingness to listen AND RESPOND to their community feedback, so its looking good.

Also, worst come to worst, that campaign is gonna be SICK

• @bard91 My experience with Magic is pretty minimal, but they feel like radically different games. I'd say Hearthstone is a better comparison but even then, it's kinda far off.

So unlike Magic, the players don't have hit point totals. Play is broken into 3 rounds, with any player trying to win 2. You only pull a limited amount of cards and won't go through your entire deck to end a match. Lanes are increased to 3 and you can apply certain effects (like fog/snow) that hinder entire lanes. Rounds are MUCH faster than Magic thanks to the limited card count and still quicker than most Hearthstone matches.

I just love that the nuance from the game comes in several forms. Your deck itself absolutely plays a role but other factors such as leader abilities and knowing when to pass a round are crucial. Just an example for how I've been playing - I use a Nilfgaard deck with the starting leader, who allows me to pick up a card and place it back down. I've got a set of catapults (Rot Tossers) that when played launch a "rotting carcass" at my opponent's lane. If left untouched for two turns, that carcass will kill his lowest level troop in that lane. If I'm pulling what I need, I've got multiple cards that allow me to pick my Rot Tosser back up and fling even more carcasses over. If that particular lane has multiple troops that tie for the lowest point total, it kills all of them.. so if I throw in a weather effect to bring them all to 1 point, it destroys that whole line. While that seems way overpowered, I've played against people that countered it - either by killing the carcass or the Rot Thrower and then I had to formulate other strategies. That's only focusing on the cards though, I generally will try to force my opponent to play a lot of powerful cards in the first round while I've got my bad boys in reserve to sweep the second and third round.

That's just a small example of one faction. Definitely worth trying out as it's free and this public beta has single player challenges and online play. Can't wait for that campaign to come out.

• "Return to the world of The Witcher in GWENT: Thronebreaker — a single player story campaign which spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms. Facing an imminent invasion, she is forced to once again enter the warpath, and sets out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge."

Still no exact date for the single player story campaign, but it's "coming this year", and the wind's getting stronger.

• To be honest, the SP might be the only thing I'd return to Gwent for.

Gwent sadly suffers from numerous problems, several of them shared by other software based CCG (bad matchmaking, pay to win, rebalanced cards can make the decks you invested in suddenly bad, etc).

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.