Far Cry 5 (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Global Moderator

Youtube Video

Prior to hearing about Far Cry 5, I'd totally forgotten how I actually really like this series. I've skipped on Far Cry 1 & Primal but I've loved all the other games and I'm definitely looking forward to 5.

I do hope it's more of an evolution than 4 was to 3 as let's be fair, it was really just more of the same.

Anyway, I really dig the new setting and the game focusing on a cult. Surprised it's coming out next year (February 27th) as I thought the rumours were for this fall were pretty solid.

Just some info I thought was interesting - Gamespot

• Protagonist is customisable meaning you can choose gender and skin.
    • There is a map editor that will have "new features that add a new dimension to the content created by fans".
    • You can fly planes and take part in aerial dogfights.

• I agree, the new setting is very exciting, and I hope that affords it the opportunity to change things up. For as much as I love exotic locales, an average American countryside is a really interesting setting to me. If they can make the online co-op more functional this time around, that would also be pretty awesome.

• Pretty underwhelmed to be honest.
    Setting isn't really anything new. It sounds and looks like it will play like the prior 2 games ("rebels", liberating areas, etc.), probably the same old kind of weapons and so on. The whole cult thing isn't anything new either. Feels pretty uninspired to be honest.

They're gonna have to do a lot to get me interested in this game.

• It's nice that they're self aware enough to get rid of the fucboi protagonists and are now parodying 'heartland' America instead of generic 'foreign' island nations and Himalayan countries undergoing civil war and Chinese aggression.

However, this trailer was really, really dull. It seems like just another stagnant sequel. I would have been into a more natural setting like Far Cry Primal if it hadn't reused the map from Far Cry which I had just bought.

• Banned

We won't shit out Assassin's Creed anymore guys. We promise.
    Welp, time to start Far Crying it up.

It does look nice.

• I don't think I ever agreed to Ubisoft to be used as the villain, but I don't hate it.

• This post is deleted!

• Well, only got 2 questions.

1: Will it be good?

2: Will the PC version be good? (Far Cry 4 PC had some pretty big launch issues, including mouse acceleration regardless of your in-game mouse acceleration settings)

• @Haru17 said in Far Cry 5 - (PC/PS4/XBO):

I would have been into a more natural setting like Far Cry Primal if it hadn't reused the map from Far Cry which I had just bought.

I actually thought to myself "Why didn't they do something more interesting with FC5? Why did they play it so safe?"... but then I remembered FarCry Primal (their "gamble") and it failing is most likely why FC5 is a more safe game.

Oh well, hopefully we'll get Blood Dragon 2 as DLC for FC5 at least.

• I think they bungled this trailer a bit. The song choice felt like it was meant to be kind of ironic, playing over a grim beginning, but since there was little to sell me on the "dark" story parts of the first half of the trailer, it only served to accentuate the goofy action in the second half. On the other hand, they have a real big dog, which gets a +2 in my book.

• So the main trailer is okay... but I liked the short character trailers. They made me care more about people in this situation.

But here's my main concern, and it might be a dumb one for a videogame, but I need a reason why the government isn't involved in this. Why one person taking on a cult like this, pretty much? If this is a typical Far Cry game, which it looks like it will be, that's a lot of guns and explosions and crazy stuff... In a foreign country it made sense, but America?
    It still looks interesting but I hope there's at least something that explains the army not rolling in.

• Preacher with a shotgun? I'm in.

Apparently, there's a "controversy" online, where certain people think this game is targeting the religious right... Super glad those accusations haven't arisen here because that's beyond ridiculous.

• @SabotageTheTruth Super not surprised. One of my first thoughts after seeing the trailer was of all the people who were going to complain about it.
    It's probably not gonna do well in certain parts of America...

But that Preacher is pretty cool. I'm excited to see more of him.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Far Cry 5 - (PC/PS4/XBO):

Apparently, there's a "controversy" online, where certain people think this game is targeting the religious right... Super glad those accusations haven't arisen here because that's beyond ridiculous.

Snowflakes. Y'know there've been literally four games before this where players were shooting up nonwhite people and their fictionalized cultures. It's silly for the first one about Americans to suddenly be labeled 'white genocide simulator.' If that were true we'd need the Halo announcer to emphatically say 'quadri-
    genocide' for all the other games not about 'heartland' Americans.

People need to laugh at themselves just a little bit. Harshly reacting to cliche works with broad anti-religion and anti-military themes is so 2000. (And I bet, I'm sure there Far Cry 5 will be filled with lines like 'As the perspective character for this game, I respect good lawful Christian family values, but I cannot condone this crazy cannibal cult in a made up county of Montana.')

• @SabotageTheTruth As a Christian, I am super excited for this game hahaha. People need to relax, still have no clue what the cults interpretation of Christianity is.

• I for one am glad to be represented properly in a game (except the christian thing), too bad I'd have to play as the "hero" though.

• I wish it would be wild west.

this looks very boring and generic imo. will be another far cry 3 recycle.

• @Black-Cell Wild west comes next year with RDR2.

• Really impressed by it, that trailer was fucking amazing too, literally R* level for me.

Makes a nice change that we get to kill some White religious nutters for a change too, custom-characters means I can make a bad-ass female character to slaughter the fools, 2-player co-op sounds good too, hope it's matchmaking-enabled and drop-in/drop-out though.

Love seeing all the right-wing types getting angry with it already too, very funny.

• Global Moderator

Far Cry 5 delayed till March 27

Just a small delay for Far Cry. After the initial buzz and getting my hands on it at EGX, I'm not really thinking too much about this game. Maybe I've hit fatigue with the series.