Water in Fire levels

• I really like elemental themes in games, and interesting subversions to that structure are all the more interesting to me because of it. This thread's about water and underwater areas in capital-F Fire levels — feel free to add your own examples as well.

alt text

Twilight Princess

The Goron Mines is one of the neatest dungeons in Zelda, but a facet that often gets overlooked is how it was the first and only example of water in a fire dungeon (at least in the 3D series). There are a few rooms with a noticeably cooler aesthetic than than the fiery conflagration looming over Eldin in the skybox would suggest. These are mostly simple puzzles that teach the player how to use the iron boots to sink and manage breath in preparation for the Lakebed Temple, but I really dig the contrast they provide.

alt text

Monster Hunter Tri

This one is really simple and more of an aesthetic difference than anything. Tri has one hell of a volcano level with more expressions of fire and lava than you can count. However, area four of the hot mess has a small pool of standing water in the shallows of the bordering ocean. It's not deep enough to swim in like other regions in Tri, but hunters can roll through it to instantly extinguish themselves if they have been set alight by an Agnaktor or Rathalos.

More than that though, the design of this area is impeccable. Hunters approach from the jungle to enter into the charred and ash-colored base of the volcano. Lava has cooled like layers of batter on the hills behind the screenshot, and to its right fresh fire from the mountain drips into the sea, casting up plumes of steam. Fiery meteors raining down from the crater drift through the sky, boiling and making the ocean water evaporate when they strike. It makes a pretty stage for a fight against a dragon.

• Your mention of MH Tri reminds me of the Lord of Hellfire and Calamity inhabiting the Tainted Sea in MH3U. The Dire Miralis is an immense elder dragon whose body is infused with magma, capable of launching explosive lava orbs that blanket the battlefield in fiery wrath. Utilizing the shallow sea is vital both to maneuver around its massive body for attacks and to survive the onslaught of molten fury. It beautifully represents a dichotomy of elements existing together in a believable ecological harmony.

• @Billy I never knew it was called that. I've never made it to G rank in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to fight Dire Miralis myself, but the footage always looked really painful to me. I know that the hunters are supposed to be genetically enhanced, but that water would be boiling, haha.

I was always curious what the Port Tanzia-looking towers in the background were supposed to be. Am I right in assuming they represent communities that Dire Miralis has wiped out?

alt text

• I thought The Division had a neat take on how to do a modern day fire theme dungeon. In the Napalm Production Site mission, you assault a construction site covered in tattered orange tarp with red LED tubing strung through the halls, giving the level a distinct fire theme without lava pouring out of the walls or shit like that.

• @El-Shmiablo That's a really interesting example. I had forgotten the firefighter people that were in that reveal trailer.

They aren't exactly standout examples, but in the interest of keeping this thread above water, Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild both had hot springs areas on Death Mountain and in the surrounding villages, which I feel helps to make the volcano more than a 'VOLCANOOOO!!!'.

The Wind Waker also had those water jars Link used to cool the lava into platforms in Dragon Roost Cavern, but they didn't really do much else.

• @Haru17 "above water".....

I can give ya another example: In the best Mario game, there is a stage called Pianta Village. The opening mission tasks Mario with subduing Chain Chomp pups doused in flaming goo. To quell their rampage, you must avoid the flaming trails left in their wake, douse them with water until they're cool enough to grab, and then proceed to launch them into the water pools and canals scattered about the village. Other missions in this zone utilize the fire/water duality, and it's nice to see that type of variety in a game that so prominently revolves around beaches and tropical settings.

• @Billy Of course, I remember that! I guess I just forget to think of Sunshine, but it's actually the first game I ever owned. Pianta Village has some really cool volcanic themes in a game all about water. In the nighttime episode that's totally covered in lava goo where you lose F.L.O.O.D. I remember sneaking around the edge of the level and diving in the pond, then doing spin jumps and flicking the water off of Mario's body to cheese a path to the star. I don't remember if it worked or not, but I eventually found the correct path underneath the city.