Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles

1. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    2. Futurama
    3. The Adventures of Pete and Pete
    4. Doctor Who
    5. Breaking Bad

I have a lot to say about all of these, but I'll just talk about Hunter x Hunter for now. There are anime that I've watched that have better animation, a more carefully crafted world and plot, and more believable and interesting characters. That being said, I can think of no other piece of media that has made experience the thoughts and emotions that I experienced while watching this series. It's a beautifully flawed masterpiece, and I think most people have something to gain by watching it through.

1. Fawlty Towers - This show doesn't have any flaws. The wit, the sarcasm, the play on words, the physical comedy, etc is all on point. I also love the fast-paced nature of it. Basil Fawlty is a perfect blend of buffoonery and relatability. Easily my favorite thing John Cleese has done.

2. Night Gallery - The sequel to the Twilight Zone by Rod Serling. Twilight Zone is ultimately probably better and definitely more influential but I think picking this it the more interesting option. The horror and supernatural elements offered different ideas to explore and it's well worth a watch. Especially around Halloween! Lots of great episodes and a great show to watch an episode here and there of.

3. Community - This is not a perfect show and has many flaws but I love it all. All the characters, the later seasons, etc. I'm so glad it was made when it was too considering how heavy so many people have gotten into celebrating nostalgia. I love the attention to detail that so many episodes and seasons provide. This show brings back small one-off jokes back and actually makes it work. I love that the characters actually have arcs and aren't just used for the purpose of telling jokes. I love the sincerity and the heart this show. Probably my most watched show I think I've seen the first 3 seasons 6 or 7 times.

4. The Good Place - This is a new show airing it's second season on NBC right now. I haven't begun the 2nd season but considering how brilliant the first season was I'm shocked it's not more popular. It's so intelligently written and clever in it's execution. I really hope we get a lot more of this and I hope it all holds up. I have no idea how NBC has controlled the comedy TV market for so long.

5. The Wire - The boring answer. The first 4 seasons are damn near perfect and are excellent television. Season 5 has some rough spots but I really love the conclusion to the Marlo storyline as well as some of the others. Boring answer but a great show.

• @Rock said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

1. Fawlty Towers - This show doesn't have any flaws. The wit, the sarcasm, the play on words, the physical comedy, etc is all on point. I also love the fast-paced nature of it. Basil Fawlty is a perfect blend of buffoonery and relatability. Easily my favorite thing John Cleese has done.

Wrong. It does have a flaw. It's only two series.
    But yes, I don't think I love any British comedy series more except maybe Blackadder.

• @michemagius I just watched the first two episodes of the new series and I think it is pretty good I think the animation is too clean looking the older series had a lower budget I think and as a result, they played around with filters and it gave it a unique feel, I didn't much care for the second episode of the new as it was a truncated version of the two-part colosseum from the first series. All in all, though I think it will turn out ok I hope they slow their pace down as it goes on.

• @Rock said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

The Wire - The boring answer. The first 4 seasons are damn near perfect and are excellent television. Season 5 has some rough spots but I really love the conclusion to the Marlo storyline as well as some of the others. Boring answer but a great show.

Sure it's a common answer, but there's absolutely noting boring about answering The Wire. There's a reason why it's so beloved.

• @Inustar said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

@Rock said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

Wrong. It does have a flaw. It's only two series.
    But yes, I don't think I love any British comedy series more except maybe Blackadder.

Short and sweet is good! I can watch the entire series in a weekend and be done with it. There is no bloat or filler. It's all in service of the jokes and then it's done. That's why it's so good.

@gwnner said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

@Rock said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

The Wire - The boring answer. The first 4 seasons are damn near perfect and are excellent television. Season 5 has some rough spots but I really love the conclusion to the Marlo storyline as well as some of the others. Boring answer but a great show.

Sure it's a common answer, but there's absolutely noting boring about answering The Wire. There's a reason why it's so beloved.

Well, it's not top 5 favorite shows but describing your taste in 5 shows so that's why I would say it is the boring answer. Doesn't say much about you when so many other people would say it.

• @Rock I can agree that short and sweet is good in some situations. There are lots of shows I wish would have cut themselves off at the third season, or maybe even the first like Supernatural which was fun for the first few seasons but now seems really convoluted and Once Upon a Time that I think had a really a strong first season and never quite was able to recapture what was so great about it in the subsequent seasons. There are a few shows that I really love though that got cut off too soon I think. Pushing Daisies is a good example of this I think, they introduced a bunch of plot points in season two that were clearly meant to be resolved in a third season but are just left as a mystery as a result of it being cancelled in it's second season. It was supposed to continue as a comic but the publishing deal fell through so we'll never really know how that story was supposed to end.

Also about the Wire, what is it actually about? Whenever I ask about it people just give me vague answers like "everyone's watching it" or "it's addictive" but they don't actually say what the subject matter of the show is.

• Spaced - Proto Shaun of the Dead.
    Father Ted - Surreal Irish comedy of three catholic priests exiled to a small island community.
    Bottom - Anarchic comedy by Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson.
    Fawlty Towers - The Godfather 'nuff said.
    Bremner,Bird and Fortune - Bird and Fortunes mostly ad-libed pieces were a thing of beauty.

I'm not much of a TV watcher recently, but I do love a good comedy.

• @KimonoNoNo said in Describe Your Taste in TV Shows Using 5 Titles:

Bremner,Bird and Fortune - Bird and Fortunes mostly ad-libed pieces were a thing of beauty.

I watched "Bremner, Bird and Fortune" religiously when I was younger and never once realised it was ad-libbed!

Also, always happy to see a Father Ted fan. Pat Mustard is one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

1. Death Note
    2. Avatar: The Last Airbender
    3. Game of Thrones
    4. Futurama
    5. Firefly

I love anime, thrillers, grand adventures, great characters, sarcastic and dark comedy, sci-fi, & things that shouldn't have been cancelled.

• Hmm just 5. That's difficult.

Firefly, Better call Saul, Vikings, Futurama, True Detectives (S1)

What I'm trying to say: I'm all over the place.