Switch Online Services & Voice Chat

• @El-Shmiablo I'm sick of the Wii stigma purported by so-called core gamers. They made a $250 console with motion controls, less graphics and online, and a mediocre Zelda game at the end. So what? They also released a sick Mario 3D platformer, a next gen Monster Hunter (with sick online), and the most innovative FPS adventure game to date. That's hardly 'apathy' just 'cause the Wii U came after it.

This thread looks to be turning into a flame war — which I do in some sense appreciate. And while I don't think not having online lobbies for 3-4 months after launch when third parties aren't launching multiplayer games anyway is a big deal, the headset thing is a little more cumbersome than @Mbun suggests. I'm hardly ever going to be using voice chat while I'm playing online in bed, but I am not the kind of person to just play game audio and chat audio ambiently. Both living in a home with other people and knowing the kind of chatter that comes from online gaming chat means that, if I'm playing Monster Hunter online, I'm plugging in the headset so I can have relative privacy.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

alt text

I don't think I need to elaborate as to why this is a horrible monstrosity and dumb as fuck.

Go home Nintendo you're drunk.

Maybe it's also their way of controlling how long you play, since the switch undocked and my phone (Assuming this app keeps my phone screen lit the whole time) would last about 2-3 hours.

Still, when you come to the party 15 years late....you could at least try to not bring the same bag of chips you bought 15 years ago.

I wasn't expecting much, but geez... If they weren't gonna try then keep pushing the family friendly narrative and skip online multiplayer completely like before.

Could've at least put out a halfways decent USB headset that people could use when the system is docked so there's more than one option, not everyone has a smartphone yet, and most kids shouldn't.

• I would assume if you won't listen to the game audio you can just connect the headset to the phone

• @Mbun I think your kind of downplaying the inconvience this represents. Carrying a phone with you isn't a big deal, but having to take it out and attach myself to it via a cord while also having a cord connected to the switch that is then attached to my head while I sit somewhere is annoying. Cords, cords everywhere! Say you take away the cords then what? I talk on the phone while I'll play? What about the fact that my battery on my iPhone doesn't hold a decent charge at all anymore. how's it work if I have it set up on my home theatre system? Do I have a head piece attached to my phone while the sound is blaring from my speakers?

Anyways I'm not trying to be argumentative but these are definitely concerns I have. I just don't see it as a comfortable convenient method.

• Banned

@CGamor7 said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

@Mbun I just don't see it as a comfortable convenient method.

It's totally convenient!

$20 / year for Switch online
    $40 - $70 / month for phone service
    Hook up your 3 way adapter!
    alt text

And boom! You're all set!
    You're now playing and chatting with your Switch friends online.

• People that are complaining, don't use it and don't buy. Vote with your wallet.

• @ib0show said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

People that are complaining, don't use it and don't buy. Vote with your wallet.

Plan to! But I also plan to make sure it's vocalized anywhere I can, so that...for once they take criticism seriously instead of going on in their own dumb elephant way

It's not anything people should be accepting.

I'd personally be using discord or curse voice for Monster Hunter anyway, not even planning on buying splatoon 2 presently.

@CGamor7 said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

@Mbun I think your kind of downplaying the inconvience this represents. Carrying a phone with you isn't a big deal, but having to take it out and attach myself to it via a cord while also having a cord connected to the switch that is then attached to my head while I sit somewhere is annoying. Cords, cords everywhere! Say you take away the cords then what? I talk on the phone while I'll play? What about the fact that my battery on my iPhone doesn't hold a decent charge at all anymore. how's it work if I have it set up on my home theatre system? Do I have a head piece attached to my phone while the sound is blaring from my speakers?

Anyways I'm not trying to be argumentative but these are definitely concerns I have. I just don't see it as a comfortable convenient method.

Exactly, I just would like people to acknowledge that this isn't a good idea. We should be past things like this.

• @CGamor7 said:

Carrying a phone with you isn't a big deal, but having to take it out and attach myself to it via a cord while also having a cord connected to the switch that is then attached to my head while I sit somewhere is annoying.

You don't have to do that. The headset part of the equation is completely optional and only if you want to use a headset. You can set your phone down near you and play a game normally and just speak.

@ZyloWolfBane This is the exact kind of thing people can and already do use with Discord currently on their phones. You'd just be talking through Nintendo's voice app instead of Discord. That or you can just continue to use Discord instead. This doesn't change that option.

People are getting way too tripped up by the existence of this headset that only exists for people who want a headset for this system of voicechat (and as a cool tie-in) when it's not required and the system is in fact designed to not need a headset.

• Banned

Listen Mbun. We love Nintendo, just like you do.
    That is exactly WHY we are being so critical of their stupid decisions. We want them to stol making them so that they can truly flourish and grow into a bigboy games company.

That isn't even a jab at Nintendo. I honestly want them to stop operating inside of this bubble they've been hiding in for the past 15 and actually try to compete, instead of chasing the next gimmick in hope it will boost sales.

FYI liked the WiiU a hell of a lot more than the Wii. The Wii might actually be my least favorite console ever.

• @El-Shmiablo I probably love Sony more than Nintendo at this point. Nintendo frustrates me. This simply isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. The fact that you still can't voicechat with strangers in public games online is 500% worse than an unnecessary headset designed to work with this system having a single extra cord that plugs into your phone. Also, the Switch is the best gimmick so far. Wii U proved the gamepad only truly worked in less than a handful of games such as Super Mario Maker.

Edit: Actually, I take it back. The DS was the best gimmick. Two screens and touch screen gaming flourished in a way I doubt we'll see from anything else for a very long time.

• Banned

@Mbun I think it is just as bad as people are making it out to be. It is less than the bare minimum compared two consoles from two generations ago.

I mean, it is cool I can take thing on the go, but when I can't enjoy features of a console that even previos Nintendo consoles had, and features that came standard in consoles released a decade ago, I can't help but wonder how ass backwards the development process is at Nintendo.

It is okay to be upset about this.

• @El-Shmiablo You can. It's just different.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

@Mbun I think it is just as bad as people are making it out to be. It is less than the bare minimum compared two consoles from two generations ago.

I mean, it is cool I can take thing on the go, but when I can't enjoy features of a console that even previos Nintendo consoles had, and features that came standard in consoles released a decade ago, I can't help but wonder how ass backwards the development process is at Nintendo.

It is okay to be upset about this.

That's what I mean, even the DREAMCAST had voice chat capability and that was back when DIALUP was standard. 17 years ago!

I'm done harping on it though, I'm sure most people will just use a VOIP on their PCs and thumb their noses at this. And I hope they do, nintendo needs to catch up and give us an actual community hub that can support it's platform in the future.

• @Mbun said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

You don't have to do that. The headset part of the equation is completely optional and only if you want to use a headset. You can set your phone down near you and play a game normally and just speak.

Who plays multiplayer while using their phone on speaker to chat? lol. A handful of people who prefer a completely unconventional way of communicating while gaming?

I'll just simplify my stance on this. for me to have to have my phone anywhere near me to chat with friends while gaming on my tv or in portable mode, is the most inconvenient way to have chat implemented. I dont see how you can argue that. All anyone has said is exactly that.

Is this a feature your completely fine with using as is? That chat must be through your phone which ever way you wish to configure it? Im trying to understand your point of view, its like you think its the most normal thing in the world and everyone here has lost their minds.

• Banned

@Mbun said in Switch Online Services & Voice Chat:

Actually, I take it back. The DS was the best gimmick. Two screens and touch screen gaming flourished in a way I doubt we'll see from anything else for a very long time.

Implying the 3DS wasn't meant to have 3 screens.
    Someone on the tech team just threw in 3D at the last minute.

• @Jamicov even the Wii Speak microphone was a much simpler system than the bullshit they're throwing at us now making us plug headphone into the console AND our phones. i shouldn;t NEED to use my phone in the first bloody place just to be able to chat online. not to mention the fact that this will not only waste y Switches battery but my Phones too.

• @ZyloWolfBane I'm just going to see how it works before tearing into it. I guess what would've been better here is if it was an option rather than the way you had to do it. People don't like to be told they have to try something different. They want what they're used to and comfortable with. That's why it's so hard to convince people to try motion controls even when they're good. People are stubborn and hate change.

@CGamor7 Definitely the minority right now, but I wouldn't call it unconventional. It works or they wouldn't do it at all. How is having your phone near you while on the go inconvenient? It's one of the few guaranteed objects you'd take with you while out on the go? If you had to take a clunky laptop around I'd understand, but Nintendo isn't wrong to assume people will have their phones with them.

Nah, honestly I don't like the phone bit. I didn't even own a smartphone when it was announced, but my phone broke shortly after so it gave me an excuse to finally get one. I feel bad for people who don't have smartphones, but being one of people who didn't have one until recently I really felt like I was one of the last people in the modern age without one, so I doubt it's going to wall off too many people who can already drop money on a $300+ system.

I'm not trying to defend voicechat through your phone. I'm trying to say this completely optional headset they made that works with voicechat through your phone is literally just a normal headset with one extra cord that plugs into your phone which people are condemning as way more cumbersome than that actually is. Having two cords coming off of something versus one doesn't make a huge difference. Then again, half the people throwing a fit over this think you are required to have this special headset and don't even know the intention is to simply have your phone out in front of you.

@Yoshi Would be good if they released a peripheral that did this without the need to use your smartphone for when you're at home so you wouldn't have to worry about battery life of your phone during long gameplay sessions, but I guarantee you if they did this people would then complain about Nintendo trying to sell them yet another expensive peripheral. I don't think Wii Speak was very successful either, so I don't see it happening.

• @Yoshi They're not making you do anything. It's your choice.

• @ib0show either use their extremely shitty system of doing voice chat or go without voice chat for yet ANOTHER gen. yay!

great options i've got there!!!

• @Yoshi Or just use Discord like everyone already does and most likely will continue to do.